Diet Pop and Pregos

Options
2»

Replies

• melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I've had two kids and was quite strict with what I allowed myself to eat. I think a cup of coffee or the caffiene equivalent, is fine during pregnancy.
    However, when contemplating a diet soda, snack or whatever remember that even though you might not be ingesting sugar, a lot of diet foods have artificial sweetners...AKA chemicals.
    I'd say a little, very little bit is okay but all things in moderation is a good mantra to follow while pregnant. COngratulations and good luck.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I was going to post the same thing as this below.

When I was pregnant with my daughter I asked my dr if I can have 1 diet soda a day and she said, "drink" water. I asked about a million times and she wouldn't give me a direct answer. I think about 1/2 way through the pregnancy I would have ONE caffeine-free diet coke and I would sip on it for about 20 minutes. I was also 275 when I gave birth to my daughter and a lot in my diet has changed since then. I still love my diet coke and I drink it daily, but when I finally get pregnant again I plan to cut it out. Hindsight, it just wasn't/isn't worth the risk of the possibility that something may happen to my baby because of my diet coke. We will see how that works out in reality when the time comes :laugh:
    Melinda Johnson
    dietitian

Yes, as long as you don't overdo the caffeine, which you'll want to limit to 200 mg per day.

The non-nutritive sweeteners used in these drinks are considered safe, especially if you're drinking them in moderation. If you like these drinks, you can allow yourself a can or two a day, but make sure you're also drinking water, milk, and 100 percent fruit juice for hydration and nutrition.

Russell Turk
    obstetrician

Diet sodas often contain both caffeine and an artificial sweetener. There are several types of artificial sweeteners you may see on nutrition labels:

Aspartame (NutraSweet): Seems to be okay when consumed in moderation (the amount found in one or two 12-ounce servings of soda per day).

Saccharin (Sweet'n Low): Saccharin was found to cause birth defects in laboratory rats when consumed in very high amounts. Because its safety in smaller amounts is hard to prove, I would advise avoiding it.

Sucralose (Splenda): This relatively new sweetener, a modified form of regular table sugar, appears to be safe. But because it hasn't been extensively studied, it's best used in moderation.

heres what i found on honey
    http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-eat-honey-during-pregnancy_10305372.bc
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I would just have a glass of the regular soft drink, not the diet.

I tried to avoid caffiene while preggo coz I'd read about it leading to low birth weight. Towards the end of my pregnancy, as I turned into a lady-the-size-of-a-truck I decided to have a coffee a day and I ended up with a bubba who was 10 pound 7 (4.9kg), so I almost wished I'd had more coffee earlier on ;-)
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I would just have a glass of the regular soft drink, not the diet.

I tried to avoid caffiene while preggo coz I'd read about it leading to low birth weight. Towards the end of my pregnancy, as I turned into a lady-the-size-of-a-truck I decided to have a coffee a day and I ended up with a bubba who was 10 pound 7 (4.9kg), so I almost wished I'd had more coffee earlier on ;-)

Lol I was just thinking that!
  • dlhenry511
    Options
    The caffine is bad if you have a lot of it during the day, but in moderation should be fine. As for the diet soda, I would drinnk regular over diet while pregnant because the "fake sugar" is bad to have. If you really need a diet one, get a diet soda that uses splenda.There are not many out there so you really have to look for it, but I found that a little can of diet Rite cola was just the key for me. That was a suggestion straight from my nurtionist when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes last year. Good luck and congrats!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I always suggest talking to your doctor. He knows you and your health better than we do:wink: My dr. asked me to stay away from Diet soft drinks and caffeinated soft drinks. If I really felt like a soda, I stuck with Orange Crush, or Root Beer. It was a nice treat every once in awhile:flowerforyou:
    Keep up the exercise and enjoy your journey. I loved being pregnant with my first, my stomach was so nice and tight! I felt great:)
    Congratulations!!!!!

Talk to your doctor and don't diet while pregnant. Your child needs the nutrition and you will not get that with dieting. Eat healthy and eat well. Everything that you put in your mouth is going straight to your baby.