Cardio the beginning or end.........

Options
cdngirl71
cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
Of your workout? I heard it is better to do cardio at the end of your workout. I always do cardio at the beginning of my workout. Just want to know what others do................

Replies

• carilyn39
    carilyn39 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've heard that too, because you are "stronger" to do your weight training at the beginning. but i too do my cardio first then move to weights.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Usually weights before cardio. With cardio before you will be too tired to get the full benefits from lifting.

And doing weights first will use up your glycogen stores so when you start on cardio your body is ready to go for fat/carb burning. (It usually takes about 20 minutes of cardio before your body starts digging into fat/carb reserves - it will use glycogen first).
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I usually do my weights first if I am doing both on the same day. sometimes I will just do one or the other and trade off days. I have not figured out what is best yet.
    Today I did brisk walking/jogging early in the morning and a few hours later I did strength training. I really need to get a schedule though.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I do cardio last. I wouldn't make it through my weights after cardio. But the weights definitely make cardio harder. If I could, I would only do one on a day :-)
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Cardio is my work out :(
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I end with cario. I was told your muscles aren't as effective if they're all tired from cardio'ing it up, so weights first. Plus, getting into that nice fat burning zone through weights so you can maximize your cardio burn. I think that's a real thing.
  • bellawomenswellness
    bellawomenswellness Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I agree on cardio after your strength however...try intermixing cardio and strength for a top notch caloric burn.
    Intermix little 60 second intervals of cardio between your weight sets. (Jump rope, jump squats, jumping jacks, etc... Pick your poison)
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Circuit Training? I prefer it because I don't feel like I'm wearing down during the workout.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Cardio at the end! Lifting weights when you're fresh ensures great form and fresh muscles. When you follow with cardio, you begin circulating fresh blood and nutrients to your damaged muscles to begin healing faster. You may even decrease your soreness!

That's my theory.
  • nickicaylor
    Options
    Do weights first, cardio second. :-)
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but from my own experience I think it is better to do cardio after lifting. My trainer told me this a few years ago, but one day I got to the gym an hour early and decided to run on the treadmill till my time. I felt great, but I could not lift what I had been lifting. It was frustrating to me, but my trainer just laughed and said I'd be back strong next time; the cardio just wore me out temporarily. So I guess it is a matter of what you want to emphasize on that day. For me, cardio first means a less productive strength training time, so I always try to do weights first. And there could be a safety issue if one gets too tired before lifting. Just my two cents.
  • BeeHummingbird
    Options
    I was told 5 min warm up , then weights , then cardio as if takes 20 mins for you body to start burning so spend that time on weights training but always do a warm up first , then go do cardio and then stretch.
  • cdngirl71
    Options
    I usually warm up with cardio before I start my strength training, usually about 20 - 30 min. I do one day cardio and other day strength training but like to have a warm up before I start weights, is this wrong?
  • cdngirl71
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your imput!!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I have been doing cardio first weights second but the more I think about it the wisest would be

15 minutes to build up heart rate, weights in an anabolic state and then cardio in an catabolic state, the only downfall i see with that is you are defeating the purpose of the weight training if you do not have enough protein in the body.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I usually warm up with cardio before I start my strength training, usually about 20 - 30 min. I do one day cardio and other day strength training but like to have a warm up before I start weights, is this wrong?

Good point. I forgot to address a warm up in my post. My trainer had me do a ten minute warm up, building in intensity but not going long enough or hard enough to begin to tire me.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I start with cardio first. Or I do a body weight circuit that includes some cardio element like step ups.
    I had a trainer tell me that it is better to do cardio last because you may not make it to strenght training, but my favourite part is strength training.