Anyone here eat a lot of junk food?

Options
I know the benefits of eating healthy but honestly I don't care. I love eating out, fast food, frozen meals and sweets. And I'm just too lazy to prepare meals for the week and to separate snacks into little baggies. I like my food premade and prepackaged but I still want to lose weight. So im interested in seeing the journals and weight loss progress of people like me. Obviously I know that I need to eat in moderation in order to stay within my calorie goals.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Replies

• Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    im just like u.. although recently iv been doin really good at eatin healthy.. altho i like not to write it down if i do eat something unhealthy... then its like it never happened... lol
  • t1981
    t1981 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get lots of comments about how healthy and clean is the way to eat if you want to lose weight the "right way"... but I still eat processed food. I still eat ice cream (every day!! Skinny Cow ice cream bars have been my life savers), I still eat fast food (not as much as I used to- maybe once a week now instead of a few times a week). but I watch my portion sizes, make better choices at fast food places, etc. It can be done- I've lost 21 pounds in the past 3 1/2 months. I'm sure it might be more if I ate completely healthy, but I'm not willing to do that.. at least yet :)
  • bhawk82
    bhawk82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love junk food too!! But I've learned that you can eat anything you want as long as it's within moderation. I get cravings for junk food (LOVE chocolate). So when I do get those cravings, I never deprive myself. I just keep it simple and in small portions. So if I want chocolate, I have a small piece, and make sure I work a little extra hard at the next gym day. Good luck to you.
  • sarahkroll
    Options
    Hello my name is Sarah and I am 20 yrs old and I know exactly what you mean. I am the same way, I like to eat out and eat junk food all the time and it has definitely taken a toll on my body. Like you said you know you have to eat in moderation, but you don't have to stop eating these foods completely because if you cut those foods out of you diet completely you are more likely to quit your diet and return to your old ways. So eating in moderation is the key. Someone actually gave me great advice the other day, if you go out to a restaurant when you get your food ask for a to go box right away and put half your food in it before you even start eating, that way you cut down your portion size and you end up getting two meals out of it. I actually found that just writing down every single thing I ate in a day helped me cut back because I realized how unhealthy I was eating. However, I do not deny myself any foods anymore because I found that doesn't work, but just cutting down the portion size seems to help a lot. Also you could try drinking a full glass of water before every snack and meal and that way you won't be as hungry and won't eat as much, but you will still be eating the foods you love and losing weight. I hope this helps a little and if you would like to add me u can feel my food journal, and we can support each other on our journey's to lose weight.
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I don't eat junk food a lot but at the same time, I never limit what I want. If I want a cheeseburger i have it. Unlike most people there's no way I could ever go all healthy. I'd fail at the weight loss instantly. Everything in moderation for me (except Sodas). Best thing is to try to incorporate healthier snacks but at the same time don't restrict yourself too much.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    ummmm, are you serious!? you cannot achieve health by eating that way--nuff said.
  • al_berri
    al_berri Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a snacker and what makes it worse is that I'm a bartender who doesn't get off work until midnight most nights. I always want jelly beans, chocolate, or cookies when I get home. I'm a sugar junkie. I finally had to stop buying it because I don't do moderation very well. :)
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    beware of people who are going to spaz on you

anyway, my eating doesn't reflect that and my journal is not open. in my opinion, just watch the sodium and if you're finding success in the way you're eating then do that. it's your choice which so many forget here because they want to feel superior for the so called perfection of eating
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I know the benefits of eating healthy but honestly I don't care. I love eating out, fast food, frozen meals and sweets. And I'm just too lazy to prepare meals for the week and to separate snacks into little baggies. I like my food premade and prepackaged but I still want to lose weight. So im interested in seeing the journals and weight loss progress of people like me. Obviously I know that I need to eat in moderation in order to stay within my calorie goals.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

You can lose weight as long as you stay under your calories, but you won't be healthy. But, you're 20 years old and when I was 20, I didn't care about counting calories or high cholesterol or visceral fat or anything along those lines either. I would STRONGLY suggest at least attempting to eat healthy from time to time. But, if you are determined not to, stay under your calories, drink LOTS of water and get plenty of exercise. Then, in 18 years, when you are old like me, you can give the same advice to some other random 20 year old. :smile: Good luck!
  • RedE4Change
    Options
    Is it really that you don't care? Or that you just don't quite feel ready to change? Because I was like you for the past several years. I just didn't want to put the time and effort into caring and doing something about my health. It was so much easier to get fast food if my husband was planning to stop somewhere anyway. And it didn't sound like much fun to eat out with my family if I had to get something boring like a salad.

But I *did* care. So what I started doing was making little baby steps. First, I concentrated on breakfast. I needed something simple and easy if I had to eat on the go. Once I found a couple of options, I just focused on a healthy breakfast every morning for a full week. Then the following week I continued with my breakfast choices, and added on a healthy lunch. Then I did dinner. And then finally snacks and desserts.

I still eat a lot of pre-packaged foods because they are easy to grab. But now you can get sliced veggies and fruit, individually packaged at the grocery store. And single serving cups of yogurt or cottage cheese, as well as string cheese. That stuff has become my go-to snacks.

But I don't think you really can start changing until you actually do care enough to do something about it. But there's no reason to rush into it. I think starting small has helped me successfully continue this journey longer than I would have otherwise.
  • cbsnipes
    cbsnipes Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't eat a ton of junk food but don't go full on with only healthy foods either. I've lost 29 lbs since Jan. 1 by watching the calories and walking. I do recommend taking a multi-vitamin daily. I remember reading the following story last year ( http://edudemic.com/2010/11/professor-actually-loses-weight-by-eating-only-twinkies-junk-food/ ) and it making an impression.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    ummmm, are you serious!? you cannot achieve health by eating that way--nuff said.

they didn't ask for health reasons though. for losing weight purposes.
  • 74Nic84
    74Nic84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This has been my struggle since I had a baby last May. I LOVE JUNK FOOD. I try so hard to quit and stick with eating healthy but I just dont enjoy it. I eat out often and dont cook as much with my hectic scedule. but this time I am going to try. The only thing that is helping to motivate me this time is my daughters pool party. Good Luck to you all.
  • labette31
    labette31 Posts: 10
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Didn't know if you had seen this story yet or not, LOL
  • 38Gigi38
    38Gigi38 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have changed my eating habits completely to a more healthy diet, but I too love the junk food, and the easy to prepare foods. Try eating out once a week instead of several times. You can always buy the healthy choice frozen meals that are already prepared for you. Those are still good choices even though the sodium levels are high. Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine...there are several companies that offer all kinds of foods for you to choose from. I love Subway so I try to choose a healthier 6 in. sub when I eat there. There are several chips on the market that are better for you if you stick to portions. Tortilla corn chips are another weakness of mine and I'm finding that I enjoy the Baked Lays chips as well. Since I've started this new life change for myself I've tried really hard not to deprive myself of things I am craving and really want. I still eat french fries and hamburgers, I just make them at home where I can control how they are done. It's all about portioning. I've found that I can eat basically anything I want as long as I keep to proportions and when I want something extra bad like a piece of cake or a candy bar, I work out extra hard so that I can work it into my day. Nothing tastes as good as a treat you have worked really hard for :-)
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I still eat junk food every now and then... I will eat some sweets, have a McDonalds or Chicken Express meal, indulge in some way that I use to love...but..I eat healthy for most of them time...I do eat Skinny Cow/ Weight Watchers Ice Cream though! I think its about moderation and allowing yourself some indulgences...if I couldn't eat a hamburger every now and then..I might go crazy. I have lost 44 pounds in 3 months and indulge in things 1-2 times a week.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

The OP didn't say they want to be healthy :) you can lose weight on just about any combination of food if you stick to a certain calorie level.
    I think everyone is going to go about it their own way, and being concious of what you are eating and aware of portion sizes is a good step in the right direction

OP, my best suggestion is to eat what you want, but log everything! After you've done this for a few weeks you will be able to see which meals/snacks are highest is calories and sodium and which ones are better choices with more nutritional content so you can start making better choices.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm similar to you, though trying to change! I eat weight watchers frozen meals along with Amy's organic frozen meals for lunch a lot. I also try to eat trader joes trail mix and snacks like that. I LOVE junk (though I'm a vegetarian so that eliminates fast food at least.)

What I've found is, I also love certain healthy foods. So i roast brussel sprouts, add broccoli and mushrooms to my homemade pizza, and have an apple and almond butter for breakfast. That way, I get in nutrients and also get a cadbury creme egg later, or a handful of goldfish crackers, etc.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You will have to dramatically limit your portions. I think it will be difficult, but if that's what you want to do, it can be done. Like you can get a quarter of a quarterpounder and 5 french fries - or something like that. Good luck.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Health wise, no it isn't good for you. But YES you can absolutely lose weight eating whatever you want to eat if you stay in your calorie goals. I lost a significant amount of weight years ago without ever changing my eating habits (if anything they got worse) I went from an office job to waiting tables and bartending 6 days a week 12+ hour shifts. I was on my feet walking around pretty much the entire 12 hours I worked I was burning more calories that I could ever consume. During the time I did that I ate nothing but fried greasy foods (from the restaurant I worked at) and drank like a fish. I still lost a lot of weight and kept it off for years (until I went back to an office job and kept eating the same way). It really does all come down to calories in vs. calories out for weight loss purposes, health is a whole different thing though! Personally I would work on changing my eating habits a t least a little, I wish I would have done that so I wouldn't have gained back most of the weight I lost. Good luck!