New ; trying to stay positive !

Options
Im new on here, not sure how everything works yet... I decided to finally start going to the gym a month ago today, im 19 and 180 pds and 5'8. I have a pretty healthy diet and i have been going to the gym every day except weekends doing 40-60 mins of cardio and weight.. i have only lost 2.3 pounds ! :( I feel very discouraged, as when i didnt go to the gym and just ate healthy i lost a lot more i feel? Im down 1 percent in my bodyfat. Im not going to give up, i want this so bad. Im just somewhat confused about the slow progress im having. My friends say it takes your body a bit to adjust going to the gym/im gaining muscle. Im not sure why but i cant get the fact that the number on the scale isnt dropping out of my head . Is it normal for me to only be loosing not even 3 pounds for this entire month?

Replies

• oreyna49
    oreyna49 Posts: 152
    Options
    Don't worry so much about the scale....get a tape measure and take your measrements. That is a much better indicator of how you are doing. I know it's difficult bacause everyone wants to see the darn scale go down. I have lost several inches with minimal weight loss...and I couldn't be happier :happy:
  • rebz1991
    rebz1991 Posts: 21
    Options
    okay, thanks thats a good idea !
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Stop focusing on the scale so much & start measuring. Youre only 15-20 lbs away from "ideal" for your height and with the added weight training you are building muscle. Muscle weighs more then fat! And yes it does take your body a bit to get used to it, also track your calories on here, even when I was loosing rapidly I was shocked at how much I was eating some days. PLEASE eat more protein the recommended on here though since you are weight training
  • rebz1991
    rebz1991 Posts: 21
    Options
    okay, thanks for the tips, i dont think im as educated as all of you yet ! lol Protein, what are some good snack ideas that have a lot of protein? I try to eat almonds because i know there good for protein. And then sometimes peanut butter but thats high in fat...
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes. Add some chicken to your salads. dont forget about other nuts too, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, macadamia nuts. Protein bars (if you can find one you like)

Remember good fats arent an enemy and help keep you from getting constipated with the increased fiber.