Last resort before surgery

Options
Hi...I recently bought an iPhone and stumble over this app. I've tried just about everything and I'm about at the end of my rope. I've been using this app since yesterday and so far i've been staying within my calories. I'm just SOOOO sick of this journey; I'm actually thinking about having the weight-loss surgery.

Anywho...just wanted to say hello...hope everyone is doing well.

Replies

• angieralkey
    angieralkey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    MFP is amazing!! Welcome to the site! A couple pieces of advice are: make sure to add friends, the support you get from them is amazing!! And be true to yourself. Log EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth! You can do this! I was at the end of my rope too and In 4 short months I have totally turned everything around! Best of luck to you and let me know if you have any questions! Take care
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me for support! I'm not perfect but I'm social and I'll do my best to keep you interested in this journey and laughing along the way!
  • julie_a_griffin
    julie_a_griffin Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome.

I've tried diets for years, and they never worked. So far, this site is working. It helpes that everything, all the brand names, are on here, as are portion sizes. It's and awesome place and you get loads of help and support.

If you're looking for friends, feel free to add me :D
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    welcome

i hope this works out for you :)
  • brenda_71
    brenda_71 Posts: 151
    Options
    Hope you can get the most out of this site. It has helped me a great deal. I wouldn't be where I'm at today without it and the support here is incredable. Beat of luck to you!! :)
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I know a few people that have had surgery to lose weight, and they tell me if they had it to do all over again, they would not have done it. The loose skin is what bothers them the most. If you take the time to eat right and exercise, you will lose the weight. It takes time though. There are plenty of people on here that show pictures of 100 pounds loss, but it took them as much as a year. That seems like a long time, but look what you get in return. A healthy body, and years added to your life. You have to learn to eat all over again and make it stick. And exercise must be a part of your life forever, but this is what we have to do to take care of ourselves. If you want a quick fix, then you can check into the HCG diet. I, myself, would not do it, because it scares me, but I would choose that over surgery. But my first choice would be a natural healthy weightloss diet, and this site has so much info and support, it's a good start!!!! You're in the right place, this site will help you help yourself.
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I know many people that have had the bariatric surgery. All with great weight loss results but some of them with major complications that are worse than the excess weight. If you can use a site like this with support from other people going through the same thing, you should try it before having major surgery. The life style change is permanent, the weight loss surgery is not. You can gain the weight back even with the surgery. If you need encouragement or support, feel free to add me as a friend.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!not trying to tell you what to do.But I would give this a shot before surgery.There are many success stories here.
    you could be a success story too.
    good luck
    jane:smile:
  • humglum
    humglum Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. This is my last ditch effort to lose weight before having bariatric surgery. I know I can do it, and you can too! Feel free to add me. :o)
  • patattheshire
    patattheshire Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    hello this is definitely the place to be i was lucky enough to have found on my phone app in January and like most have dieted most my life but this is so much better i can track food exercise and get help from so many people here stick with this site it is unbelievable
    pat
  • nanberube
    nanberube Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am having surgery on May 16th. I was directed to this site by the dietician that works with the surgical candidates at the hospital. Even if you have weight loss surgery, (be it lap band or bypass), it is a life style change. Give the site a go. I think it is great here. ..but if you decide on the surgery, it is not a failure. It is another tool to help you with weight loss for your health. Good luck and feel free to add me for support.
  • FitMomma0722
    FitMomma0722 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies it has given me even more hope to continue. Today is day 3 following the plan this site gave me...well sticking to the calories.

i'm keeping hope alive. I really haven't quite figured out these boards/friends thing yet but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon. Best of luck to you all.
  • athaliah
    athaliah Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    As someone that just has reached the end of the rope with diet months ago, I will tell you that the best thing that I did after getting a diagnoses of being hypothryoid and "weight loss resistant" by the dr was to get myself to a nutritionist. Yes, one of those. I didn't even care if the insurance covered it or not, I wanted to know what I could do for myself. I was thinking myself crazy that the numbers didn't add up and fed up with nothing working for me.

A Nutritionist and myfitnesspal.com, both have made a world of difference for me.

Maybe you should see if you can have a second set of eyes go over your log? Or splurge like I did and get a real nutritionist for help. Don't let them confuse you with blocks or anything, tell them to simplify it for you if they try and make it too difficult, as you won't follow it if they don't.

As for me, my nutritionist made me see that I was in starvation mode. First thing, she ordered me to double my calories for a month and get some protein powder. It was really hard just to eat more. And I will tell you that watching the weight go up was a bit disheartening, but I knew it was a needed process after starting to read here that is what happened in other people's threads.

So two or three months later, here I am with things going down lower than what I started and I can say its working for me. That coupled with making sure that I got out and sweated a few times a week, either to the wii Zumba or to the local Rec Center & Ymca for water aerobics have made such a difference in just three months time. Just dancing to music or walking works as well.

You can do it, you just need some support and motivated to keep with it.

My Aunt had the surgery a few years ago, and she regrets doing it that way without educating herself before she had it about a healthy diet and she "forgot" to exercise while doing it as it was mentioned, so she's all extra skin. Now all she does is complain about the skin and the complications with her heartburn. After the fact, she says she would of rather had done it the slow and healthy way cause in the end she ended up with having to learn it for her self anyways.
  • PA21
    PA21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site!

I'm sure we have all felt at the end of our rope before! You will find a very supportive environment here to help you in your weight loss journey.
    I'm going to add you as a friend. It seems the more friends I add on this site, the more I can help and be helped on this path.
    All the best!
    PA
  • abeautifulvoice
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

There are so many great success stories from members here. You should definitely check them out! I wish you all the luck in your weight loss journey!

:)