How can I lose 20lbs in 6 weeks.

Options
I am 5'10" and 140lbs. I want to be 20lbs smaller by summer. Is that possible?

Replies

• angieralkey
    angieralkey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Healthy weight loss is 2lbs per week which would be 12lbs. Give it a try and even if you don't reach 20 lbs you will have lost some!! Good luck
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    well you won't know unless you try.

1-2 lbs/ week is a general guideline but since you are not severely overweight, you'll probably be closer to the 1 lb range. Tracking your calories, eating exercise calories back, strength training, and drinking water will definitely help you look your best for the summer!

Good luck!
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Ya ...check out - Alternate Day Diet- people use this as a life style also and great results.. not easy thou... And work out..
  • ari_27
    ari_27 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Not if you want to do it the healthy way...8 weeks I would say is a little more possible. Personally, I had similar goals except I wanted to lose more..I was 145 lb and want to go down to 115 lb. Ive been doing MFP for about 2 months and have lost 15 lb..looking to get down to my goal at around beginning june
  • asiedler806
    asiedler806 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    WHAT!...are you kidding me! 5'10 and 140 now?! GIVE ME A BREAK! I am 5'8 and I once weighed 135....and I was way too skinny! That is insane to want to be 130 and that tall! You will blow over in the wind! I dont evn want to be 140 and I am shorter than you. You should be happy right where you are at, and be thankful, you dont have to lose the 60 I am trying to!!
  • ymcoughlin624
    Options
    I don't think that at your height 120 would be a healthy weight. Try just getting down to 130 as the smallest.
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and 120 is on the low side of my healthy range. I definitely don't think it's in the range of healthy for 5'10!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    At 5' 10" and 140 you don't seem to need to lose weight.....but....if you want to try for a 20 pound loss in a quick amount of time I suggest you read the section in the book The 4 hour body and it will tell you how to drop 20 pounds in 30 days. I did it for one week and dropped over 4 pounds. I alternate now and again. It is slow carbing. Good luck.

Cindy
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how safe that would be, although when I first started on this site I dropped a lot and did it rather quickly, just following the guidelines and respecting my fitness goals. If you really want to drop that quickly, I would recommend looking into seeing a nutritionist/dietician about how to do so safely. And you're too tall to drop down to 120 safely. I'm 5'5-1/2" and 120 is at the very bottom of my safe range, without taking age into consideration. 5'10" and 120 is dangerously thin. I really think you should consider aiming for 10 lbs as a maximum drop.

What worked most effectively for me was to respect my calorie (and food type) guidelines as much as possible and drink the water (if you don't get enough water, you don't lose weight as quickly). My fitness goal is a mere 15 minutes of walking per day (messed-up knee) without a rest day. I lost most of the 23 pounds I've managed to drop within the first couple of months just doing that.

Also, a lot of folks think we shouldn't eat back our exercise calories. I have mixed feelings about that because if you work out a LOT, I worry that the deficit might be a bit TOO much. I think you just have to do things in as reasonable a manner as possible.

Be safe, and good luck with your goal!
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    120 doesn't sound very healthy to me either for your height. Are you wanting to lose weight around your middle? Maybe you just need to focus on exercising and firming up your body and not losing more weight. You want to be healthy not sickly, right?
  • 2ndtwin
    2ndtwin Posts: 1
    Options
    My daughter lost 20 lbs. in 6 wks., the possiblity of losing someone. You don't want that. You would be too thin at 120. Please don't try to be 120 it's too thin for you.

I am a Grandma trying to lklose weight. But don't be silly.......

2nd twin
  • ahanson6
    Options
    I just entered your info into the BMI calculator and your minimum healthy weight shows 128.9.
  • Steph70508
    Steph70508 Posts: 110
    Options
    WHAT!...are you kidding me! 5'10 and 140 now?! GIVE ME A BREAK! I am 5'8 and I once weighed 135....and I was way too skinny! That is insane to want to be 130 and that tall! You will blow over in the wind! I dont evn want to be 140 and I am shorter than you. You should be happy right where you are at, and be thankful, you dont have to lose the 60 I am trying to!!

I don't think since I've been on this site, that I've ever seen and uglier response! We are here to support and motivate each other. We aren't here to judge and criticize! Actually this whole thread is pretty negative. There are much nicer ways to say things to people.
  • cmisty2001
    Options
    Could you possibly be at an appropriate weight, but need to build some muscle? Muscle will help your clothes fit better and can make you look slimmer and smaller at 140 lbs.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Possible - yes.
    Probable - up to you.

Desirable - ?

At your height, 140 pounds is a "good weight".

At 120 pounds, you'd best stay out of high winds…
  • StephRivers
    Options
    Hello, at 5’10 and 140 you probably ALREADY look amazing and healthy. To lose an additional 20lbs at your height would probably make you look a little anorexic and unhealthy. Maybe you should seek counseling! Just sayin!
  • cckeimig
    Options
    Steph, I don't think you should take that shocked response as ugly. Minoria frankly frightened us with her stated goal. As you say, we're here to help and support one another, but not to help people hurt themselves. We DO care about you and your health, so please take our comments in that light and not negatively, OK?
  • ahanson6
    Options
    Steph, I don't think you should take that shocked response as ugly. You frankly frightened us with your stated goal. As you say, we're here to help and support one another, but not to help people hurt themselves. We DO care about you and your health, so please take our comments in that light and not negatively, OK?

I agree. I want to be supportive of everyone's goals, but I can't support something that I think might be unheathy, much less dangerous. I think everyone here is just showing that they care and that they are concerned.
  • cckeimig
    Options
    Sorry...I edited because I realized I'd mis-addressed my comments. :flowerforyou:
  • micheleoldroyd
    micheleoldroyd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you serious about this Steph?