How do you stay motivated?

Options
How do you stay motivated? I always feel tired and too lazy to go to the gym, but I know that once I get there, I'll have a great workout and feel so much better. I can't even get my bf to go to the gym with me so it just makes me even less motivated. The worst part is, it only takes me 2 minutes to walk to the gym.

I guess what I'm asking is, how do you feel less tired all the time and feel like going to the gym? Even if I get 8 or 9 hours of sleep I still feel exhausted.

Replies

• Ridestolive6969
    Options
    I was never able to get myself motivated to go to the gym - at all. I had a membership for years but never went. Then I realized I was over 30 pounds overweight, and that is a lot for someone who is only 4'11" tall!

We started a biggest loser competition at my work in January. I know myself well enough that I will not exercise after working all day. I am always tired when I wake up in the AM whether it is at 6 am or 10 am- I just dont want to get out of bed. So I said "what the hell- if I have to get up for work anyways, I will just get up a little earlier and do something for me!"

So I set my alarm clock for 3:30 event morning. The first couple of months I was leaping out of bed, excited by my weight loss and how much better I was feeling. Now, it has settled into more of a routine and a grind. But it is that routine that actually keeps me motivated! Sure I get out of bed and drag myself into the bathroom where I squint and look at myself in the mirror while I think of a thousand rationalizations of how I could skip my workout, but I just keep moving. I put my clothes on. I go down and pour my coffee. I already have my gym bag packed and ready to go so I grab it and get in the car. If I continue moving in the direction of the door in the morning Im fine- no sitting down and thinking of excuses! By the time I get the gym I am starting to feel more awake and excited about working out.
    So, the moral of the story I guess is establish a routine and just keep doing it- dont let your mind play silly games. Just keep moving in a positive direction and you will stay motivated!
  • catiecather1ne
    Options
    Wow, thanks! That's awesome. and 3:30 in the morning? Go you! I definitely need to get into a routine and keep moving because sitting down (in my bed no less) is what kills me. I also tried to set my alarm earlier in the morning but I always just hit snooze and don't even bother trying to get up. Maybe I should actually stand up and that will keep me going. Thanks!!