Olive Oil

Options
I love to cook with extra virgin olive oil. If is requires oil of some type I usually will use extra virgin olive oil. From what I can see it has a lot of calories. Is there any tips out there that can help me? If oil is used which ones are good to cook with n eat?

Replies

• moonchild6984
    Options
    I love to cook with extra virgin olive oil. If is requires oil of some type I usually will use extra virgin olive oil. From what I can see it has a lot of calories. Is there any tips out there that can help me? If oil is used which ones are good to cook with n eat?
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    It has good fats!!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, all oils have the same amount of calories per tablespoon - about 120. You can use apple sauce in baking recipes. I think you can usually cut the amount quite a bit and use spray a lot.
  • moonchild6984
    Options
    I know that but today I had 600 calories from just that alone and thats almost half of my calories for the day. The only time I really use olive oil is if I am pan frying chicken or pork, rubbed on baked potatoes, and in a pasta.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Then you are not useing the full serving.
    If you are useing EVOO in cooking you are getting 1/2 that at the most.
    Not the whole amount that you used to cook with.
    --Diann...
  • moonchild6984
    Options
    Thank you that actually makes sense now, I guess when I do cook with it the only time I eat evoo is on this pasta I make and I only use 2tbsp of it. Got a ? if I use it on baked poatoes and dont eat the skin do I need to add how much evoo i used on the patotoe?
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Yes, then you use the amount that you used on the potato.
    Because you are not spliting that. THEN you use the full amount.
    It is advised thet you use measuring cups spoons and a scale so you do know what you are useing.
    :happy: :flowerforyou:
    --Diann..
  • moonchild6984
    Options
    thank you for the advise it really helps:flowerforyou:
  • createsure
    Options
    Try using less oil.

I use a lot of oil in my cooking, sometimes EVOO but more often canola because of the higher cooking temp. From eggs to leafy greens with garlic, to potatoes, a lot of foods are perfect for frying up in a pan. The thing that I do differently now is to measure the amount of oil I am using. I used to just pour it on in there, but now I measure out a tablespoon if I am cooking a large amount (like a whole pan full of diced potatoes), or more commonly a tsp, believe it or not.
    I have found that 1 to 2 tsp. of oil is enough to cook almost anything, especially if you are using a non-stick pan. From your calculation you are using about 5 tbsp. a day? You can definitely get away with using much less.
    A typical calculation for me is that I use 2 tsp. to cook up enough food for two people. I eat half, and only have to count out 40 calories (1 tsp worth).
  • createsure
    Options
    --Diann...

That depends... if you're essentially deep frying something in 3 tbsp. or more of oil, yeah there's probably some left over in the pan that you're not eating. I think it depends on what it is your cooking though. Some foods really soak up the oil, and will retain whatever you put in the pan. I cook with 1 to 2 tsp. of oil typically, and count it all, because when you minimize the oil in the pan, it almost all goes into cooking the food.
  • cottrell22
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of olive oil cooking spray, though it helps if you are cooking with non stick pans as well. What sort of foods do you fry? Maybe you could try baking some of the foods you would normally fry? I like fried chicken but usually stick with coating them then baking them in the oven. Sometimes I've sprayed a pan with the cooking spray and fried the food for a minute or two then finished it in the oven.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    --Diann...

That depends... if you're essentially deep frying something in 3 tbsp. or more of oil, yeah there's probably some left over in the pan that you're not eating. I think it depends on what it is your cooking though. Some foods really soak up the oil, and will retain whatever you put in the pan. I cook with 1 to 2 tsp. of oil typically, and count it all, because when you minimize the oil in the pan, it almost all goes into cooking the food.

I think you need to find some oil alternatives...meaning, you can't be cooking foods that require so much oil anymore.
  • omega3
    omega3 Posts: 9
    Options
    (1) EVOO tastes great, so try using as a flavoring instead of frying in it.
    (2) Baking or broiling the chicken doesn't need any added oil. It still tastes good.