Logging family meals

Options
How in the heck do you guys log what you eat when you make meals for the whole family? I made baked chicken tenders for me and my kids and I can't figure out how to log the portion I ate. I know it was 4 ozs of chicken but how to divide up the flour,bread crumbs, olive oil, eggs... It's even more difficult considering I didnt measure any of this stuff I just poured each ingredient into a bowl.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, cooking is a whole new thing for me, before no the most I ever did was shake and bake or hamburger helper, lol.

Replies

• SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    plug in breaded chicken, baked- 4 oz. and see what comes up
  • funauntsherry
    funauntsherry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i usually create a recipe in the foods section telling the number of servings it made. it works really well.
  • MirandaDeCrane
    MirandaDeCrane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder and divide by the servings it yields :) HTH!
  • pariskelly
    pariskelly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Right now, I am only making recipes where I know the nutritional info. Then I measure out my portion and log it. I cook dinner 4 nights a week (and have a cooking blog!).
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe tool on here. It will require you to measure some things out though. ;)
  • forkeeps
    forkeeps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I enter it into the recipe thing here on the site also. Just estimate on the stuff you didn't measure...but measure next time so you can get the recipe more accurate ;-) Then if you LOVE it it's easy to recreate too.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I also use the recipe builder. It may seem like a pain at first, but it saves your recipes for you, so you can build up a few standards!

For example, I put in my whole wheat pizza crust as one recipe and "standard home pizza toppings" as another. That way, if I make it with different toppings, I can still just grab the pizza crust recipe and add the toppings separately.

(I hardly ever take the time to add them to the database - if they want that to work they are going to have to simplify the process!)
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. It seems like it would be hard to measure things like flour and breadcrumbs since you don't usually use it all.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. It seems like it would be hard to measure things like flour and breadcrumbs since you don't usually use it all.

You won't be off by more than a few calories - the nutritional data has a bigger margin of error than what you will have from leaving a few crumbs on the plate.
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options

You won't be off by more than a few calories - the nutritional data has a bigger margin of error than what you will have from leaving a few crumbs on the plate.

Actually I was talking about during the breading process. I just fill the bowls with flour or breadcrumbs and then throw out the leftovers.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You could always estimate how much flour and breadcrumbs you've used. That way at least you'll have a general idea of what you've eaten.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I made crumbed pork schnitzels and I know what you mean about the ingredients. I entered the ingredients into the recipe section first, estimating how much flour and breadcrumbs. When I was done I looked at what I had used - about half the flour and I added some extra breadcrumbs. So, back to the recipe section and edited the amounts - taking a rough guess. It took time this time but next time I will have it ready to go. And if I make it with chicken or veal then I will just change the meat in the recipe.