How do you know you are serious about getting fit and exerci

Options
Well for me it was an epiphany today. Normally I do my exercising in private, whether going for a run early in the morning, or throwing some free weights around while my clan is still asleep. I need no prying/judging/laughing eyes:) Yet recently I bought the P90X series to do after work. So today started on 4th CD, all about 1.5 hours of yoga. So there I am in front of the TV, trying to hold strange poses, twisting, lifting legs, sweat dripping and who is in the other room glancing in from time to time and trying not to smirk? My two just barely adult teens and their friend. And then it hit me: "Yeah, Earl, you do not mind grinning teens, let them giggle, your fitness is more important than their grins". In fairness to them they gave me hi-fives and cheers when I finished. LIfe is good.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Diets are cool and all, but it sounds like you did a great job raising those adult/teens!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Thats great to hear that Earl! You are doing a great thing for them by getting healthy so you live longer. I am very proud of you for sticking with it!!!
  • Blushing_prin_cess
    Options
    HIGH FIVE DAD!!! I feel the same way as you do now. I have 2 late teeners and a little one and they all like to laugh at me and tell me I look silly or Im doing it wrong but it doesnt matter. Im in it for me not for the gracefulness of it. Great job and keep up the good work!
  • ksimms
    ksimms Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, sounds like they're a good support system (most of the time ;)) and that'll definitely keep you going.

Besides I bet they were amazed at the positions you could do, I bet they'd struggle!
  • lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    What a great job! I can't wait until I am that confident. I still excercise in private, but every little bit counts. Keep up the good work!:wink:
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Yes, nice work. For me it was when I realized that just going to the gym was not enough, I had to be willing to work hard to get progress... and then I did it. :)
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    awesome. good kids =]
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    How do you know when your serious? when you pass up free donuts at work. When you think twice about popping open a beer. When you can pass by the candy dish and not stop. When you think more about the calories than you do the taste of a bag of potato chips.
    I just started running outside a few weeks ago. I just stare straight ahead and listen to the music. I don't care what people think.
  • kolbyjack
    kolbyjack Posts: 71
    Options
    I hope one day I will be able to go to the gym at my college and not care what others think. Great job for pushing play! :0)
  • MrsDowns22
    Options
    I can totally relate to the exercising in private. I've always been embarassed to exercise in front of people I actually know. Yesterday I was able to exercise while my father was around. I was SO proud of myself for not crawling back into my shell or just stopping. That is a big boost in my confidence. I feel so confident that I can do this. It's so hard but I know that if I stick with this that it will be worth it in the end. Congratulations on your epiphany and I wish you all the success in the world! :)
  • Nicksmom1974
    Options
    That is absolutely wonderful and it gives you a boost to know your kids are behind you.
  • StVal
    StVal Posts: 91
    Options
    In fairness to them they gave me hi-fives and cheers when I finished. LIfe is good.

*HIGH FIVE* :)
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    How do you know when your serious? when you pass up free donuts at work. When you think twice about popping open a beer. When you can pass by the candy dish and not stop. When you think more about the calories than you do the taste of a bag of potato chips.
    I just started running outside a few weeks ago. I just stare straight ahead and listen to the music. I don't care what people think.

Yep those are all cool, esp. passing the candy dish. The other day I bought 24 chocolate bars for my students as a reward for some extra help they gave me. Kept the chocolate bars beside my computer all weekend, with all my former favourites, coffee crisp, kitkat, bounty, Oh henry, etc. and YET did not even grab one (in spite of the fact the chocolate was talking to me most of the weekend: "Come on Earl, you know you want me, I taste soooooo good, have just one, surely one can't hurt":). I remained unmoved. Life is good.
    P.S. I apologize to all those readers who, through the mere mention of these various chocolate bars, now feel a sudden urge to go out and buy some: Be strong.
  • maorifulla
    Options
    awesome work :)
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    One night I dreamt I ate a piece of pizza and I woke up feeling guilty about it. For me that let me know I was serious about not only my workouts but my complete lifestyle change, which includes eating a huge difference of foods then what I previously ate.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    What a great example you're setting--the activity and the confidence!
    -LP
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

I totally agree. We had a carry in at work today... pizza hut. It smelled so awesome, and my coworkers were saying "1 slice won't kill you". I just kept on smelling it while I ate my cucumber and dip. LOL I actually closed my eyes at 1 point and pictures myself a thinner weight. And I never had any pizza! or the birthday cake, and banana cake is my favorite!
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Except the running YES! They put on Morning Tea at work yesterday using an acronym in email of MT - I saw that and just thought - "M"*kitten* "T"emptation - no thanks. To their credit though they had a fruit platter in amongst all the crud.

Why else - I must be nuts - I'm addicted to Kinect Sports. Smashed a light, tried to rip a toenail out, bent my foot back and overstressed my shoulder - "&" I still go back for more ??!! I keep telling myself I'll ease up and just do Biggest Loser on light or moderate to let the injuries recover - but next day - back to Sports LOL
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of your work out determination and your lovely children. Good work all around!
  • Eric184
    Eric184 Posts: 16
    Options
    wow, you really hit on something here. It's no secret that physical fitness with our youth is quite different (dare I say non-existent in some locations) than when we were kids. Setting positive examples is our responsibility for sure. Now, how far can we go? I remember (and have no regrets) the time my 19 yr old son talked me into going to Muay Tai training with him (he'd been involved in the martial arts for several years) and my old as* actually held up pretty well. I was willing to risk my life in the ring for him :-) but in all seriousness he was so very impressed with my courage to "push it to the limit" - and when your kids show their admiration of you- I can't think of a better compliment to good parenting!