a nice restaurant that's also has decent nutritional info?

Options
Schwiggity
Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
I'm looking for some place to go for my birthday with my family that would be nice (though not terribly expensive), but doesn't put EVERYTHING in a butter sauce. I was thinking something like Macaroni Grill or Bonefish Grill. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Replies

• RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Red lobster has a bunch of healthy options.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    How about non-chain restaurant. You will probably get better quality food there. You likely won't find the nutritional info if it's not a chain, but hey it's your birthday.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    it's your birthday so enjoy. Thank being said you can always ask how it is made and specify no butter, salt etc. fish and grilled is always a great choice and ask for any sauce on the side
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    well i dont recognize the restaurants you listed . must be a florida thing. if you have a seafood place you can have bake/broil/grill option.... you look great by the way... you have come a long way in your journey... ( clap,clap,clap) would love to be one of your friends if yo would like to add me...
    lori
  • lulusmom
    lulusmom Posts: 71
    Options
    Macaroni Grill has a yummy kabob option with grilled veggies (ask for no butter). About 400 calories, as listed on the menu...less without butter.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    How about non-chain restaurant. You will probably get better quality food there.

I agree! :)
  • cravegod
    cravegod Posts: 7
    Options
    The "Eat This, Not That" rated Red Lobster as an A- saying "Compared with the other major sit-down chains and their four digit fare, Red Lobster looks like a paradigm of sound nutrition. The daily rotating fish specials, ordered either blacken or grilled, are the centerpiece of a menu long on low-calorie, high-protein entrees and reasonable sides"... it is considered America's healthiest chain restaurant, but the trouble comes when it comes to the fryer - so stay away from those food items.

Avoid heavy cajun sauces, combo dishes, anything labeled "crispy" and stay away from biscuits. You won't go wrong w/ broiled or grilled fish w/ a side of vegetables.

The book says: Have the Peach Bourbon BBQ shrimp and scallops with broccoli (585 cal, 27.5 g fat, 1640 sodium), Wood grilled peppercorn sirloin and shrimp (560 cals, 21 g fat, 2210 mg sodium), Live main lobster 1 1/4 lb steamed (45 calories, 0 g fat, 350 mg sodium), or the Lobster, Crab, and seafood stuffed mushrooms (380 cals, 21 g fat, 1050 mg sodium).

Romano's Mac got a B+ but if you go, they say get the Aged Beef Tenderloin Spiedini with roasted veggies (410 cals, 12 g fat, 620 mg sodium), Veal Chop (520 cal, 17 g fat, 860 mg sodium), Spaghetti Bolognese (570 cal, 19 g fat, 1480 mg sodium), or Mozzarella Alla Caprese (330 cals, 16 g fat, 550 mg sodium).
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I say it is your birthday so pick your favorite restaurant and GO! If you'll feel bad about it, just workout more that day. I used to think I wouldn't want to work out on my bday but I always do now- it releases endorphins and makes me feel a lot better when I have on my cute outfit/dress!

Plus-any restaurant you go should have something sensible, you just gotta know how to order. Like if you are REALLY craving a steak, ask for it with no butter or creamy sauces. Get your dishes with the sauce on the side-that way you can only add a little for taste if you absolutely need it. Start with a small salad with a vinaigrette-it will help fill you up. Eat slowly, enjoying every bite and be sure to drink a lot of water. When you are full-STOP. Get the rest to go and eat it tomorrow! It is your birthday so enjoy it-its one day of the year!
  • Schwiggity
    Options
    Not to sound picky, but Red Lobster is on my blacklist. The last couple times I was there they gave me crap portions. And I know it's my birthday, and I'm not going to be incredibly stringent, but I don't like to use it as an excuse to go somewhere where their specialty is cream-based butter a la saturated fat.
  • JatieKo621
    Options
    I say it is your birthday so pick your favorite restaurant and GO! If you'll feel bad about it, just workout more that day. I used to think I wouldn't want to work out on my bday but I always do now- it releases endorphins and makes me feel a lot better when I have on my cute outfit/dress!

Plus-any restaurant you go should have something sensible, you just gotta know how to order. Like if you are REALLY craving a steak, ask for it with no butter or creamy sauces. Get your dishes with the sauce on the side-that way you can only add a little for taste if you absolutely need it. Start with a small salad with a vinaigrette-it will help fill you up. Eat slowly, enjoying every bite and be sure to drink a lot of water. When you are full-STOP. Get the rest to go and eat it tomorrow! It is your birthday so enjoy it-its one day of the year!
  • JatieKo621
    Options
    Whoops sorry for the double post...not quite sure how that happened?

Anyway- going somewhere that does have fatty options doesn't mean you can't order something that isn't absolutely horrible for you. Just order smart. Eliminate fried options, sauce on the side, no cheese (or easy cheese) and no extra butter. It is easy to still eat sensibly while eating something tasty.
  • Schwiggity
    Options
    Oh I know. I'm not new to the rodeo, but there's some places that have tasty healthy options with good ingredients, and some places that just give you tiny portions and use not-so-good ingredients. I'd prefer the prior.
  • cjbnc
    cjbnc Posts: 32
    Options
    Applebee's under 550 menu was quite good. http://www.applebees.com/Menu_Under550.aspx
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Mimi's Cafe! Their "light and fit" menu is AWESOME and, unlike most places, it is also low in sodium (almost unheard of for a restaurant).
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    all resturants... just watch what u order. no fried foods and ordering things without mayo, whole wheat options where available, lots of water to help with appetite... salad instead of fries. dipping fork into dressing instead of pouring it on salad--no croutons. ive only came across one place with no healthy option---which was a small bar that only did fried foods.

ive had one resturant where the food was in butter sauce---a expensive resturant and it was grilled lemon chicken that had the sauce. i had a baked potatoe option instead of mashed potatoes (you dont know what they r using in mashed taters--butter, cream, etc), and it had steamed veggies and instead of soup i had salad. the sauce was mostly on the plate, and the amount that was on the chicken wasnt to bad--wouldve been the equalivlant of probably 1/2tbls of butter--if it was pure butter which it wasnt. When i get a baked potatoe i dont have sour cream or butter but season it with pepper and eat it at the same time as another item on my plate if its dry and bland.

Ive lost 24pounds in 5weeks and ive gone out to dinner a minimum of 2x a week.

also you could save half of meal for leftovers.

red lobster i had garlic shrimp skewers, a few lobster nachos, a cheddar cheese biscuit, a lobster tail, rice pilaf, brocolli, and was under 500calories, but red lobster is pretty expensive and u said not expensive.

Dont be afraid to ask for things such as "light on the butter" or "do you have another sauce instead of this butter sauce", or "light on the cheese" or whatever...just ask for things and usually they can work something out for you
  • murrow1105
    murrow1105 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I really like Ruby Tuesday's for this kind of thing. They have a pretty solid "fit 'n trim" menu that's CLEARLY labeled on the in-house menu, their salad bar rocks my socks, the portions are good-sized, and the prices aren't higher than Red Lobster or the like. And it is SO GOOD.