Help me help my husband - he is skinny fat.

Options
My hubby and I are confused as to what he should be doing with his diet. I am creating a calorie deficit for myself as I have 53 lbs to go... he on the other hand, is at a healthy weight, but is flabby and skinny. Now, he has been doing P90X for almost 3 months and things are really taking shape in his arms and legs, but he is struggling with midsection/chest/back fat, even though according to many different weight charts, he is at a "healthy" weight!

So, I am wondering if he should be following a similiar high protein, low/good carb, lots of veggies and clean foods diet, but instead of being in a deficit, he should eat maintenance calories worth of these healthy foods. Am I on the right track?

All these years, the focus has always been on me because of the weight problem. We never realized how f'ed up his diet is and how unhealthy his body composition actually is in spite of the fact that he is within the normal weight range for his gender/height/age.

Replies

• GinjaNinja1
    GinjaNinja1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You are correct, he should be eating the similiar diet you are.
    Just because someone is at a "healthy weight" doesn't mean their muscle composition is healthy. Because he is doing P90x he should get more protein into him to repair the muscles he is damaging.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    HE has been experiencing weakness during his workouts this week - actually logging less reps (12 instead of 15, for example) and I suspect that the reason is that he is not getting enough protein.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    A healthy diet is a healthy diet, he just needs more, in basically the same proportions - ie, he needs the bigger cut of meat.

My partner is quite slim - at the low end of the recommended weight range for his height. He was getting out of shape (or so he says) but has started working out almost every day (aka, burning more calories, oy). We pretty much only keep healthy foods in the house, he just gets bigger, or more, servings than I do. Even if he needs a snack, it is usually cheese, fruit or leftovers from our healthy dinner.