What is your advice on "cheat days"

Options
I heard once from a friend who did weight watchers that she was really good all week and then right after their meeting they went and ate whatever they wanted. Does anyone else have cheat days and recognize that it's helped them in their weightloss?

I think I've been doing really well (compared to previous attempts) and I seem to be hovering in the same 2lb area. A MFP recommended (after telling her I wasn't really into zig-zagging) a cheat day-because she has friends who swear by it.

So I'm wondering... do any of you experience success? If so, what's an example of what you would eat on your cheat day? Is it just a meal, or is it the WHOLE day?

Just looking for a little something to help me break this hill. That's what I'm calling it, it's not a plateu! lol Thanks all!!

Replies

• ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My advice s to not have a cheat day, but have a cheat meal! I'm a big fan of the cheat meal!!!!
  • crystal10584
    Options
    They're good sometimes. I know when I finally get my engagement ring, I'll probably go out and eat queso and tortillas because it's the ONE thing I've deprived myself of while working my way down... but it will only be one meal, and that's it.

you can "cheat" without cheating too... Like today... I didn't get to eat much but I had my coffee, pumpkin bread and sushi... now I've satiated my sushi and pumpkin bread cravings all while staying on track..
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    When I was at my plateau - between 157-160, 147-150, 137-140 lbs...
    I would always indulge in some fastfood - I would surprise my body with some 'unhealthy' food...I would up my workouts - sometimes doin' 'doubles' per day.

Just figure out what you can do etc.

Cheat days - think of it more as a 'cheat meal' - but you have always make it a healthy one too....doesn't neccessay mean YOU need to have FAST or GREASY food...Just depends what your goals are etc...

best wishes! On my Day of Rest - I use that day to 'refocus' on my last week etc... :happy:
  • danielled6875
    danielled6875 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just lost 90 lbs and wouldn't of been able to do it without a cheat day. Now with 5-10 lbs to go...a cheat day isn't helping me.
    If you can get back on track the next day, I am a believer.
  • UneJolieFemme
    UneJolieFemme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have one cheat meal every week or else I'd go crazy.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Ya I'd say stick with a "cheat meal". I do it and it helps me and my cravings. I just make sure I work out extra hard that day :)
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I used to have a cheat meal every week or every two weeks. It really helped keep me sane, knowing that if I was good all week, I could indulge in all those cravings on the weekend. (And, normally, by the time the weekend came, I wasn't craving anything anymore.) Eventually, I kept pushing back my cheat meals to different dates and ended up only "cheating" on holidays. Now, I've tried to start up cheat meals again on the weekend, but it's not stopping me from eating crap during the week like it used to... And, I end up having a cheat DAY instead of a cheat meal. I make my self sick to the stomach, because I no longer know when to stop.

I recommend though. :) As long as you have the will power to get back on track the next day. There's nothing wrong with a cheat day either; I've just found that I have more control when I limit myself to one meal. I'm not thinking, "I have one day to eat everything I don't normally get... So I'll just eat this cheeseburger even though I'm about to barf."
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I used to have cheat meals or days, but now I look at more like if I want that, then I'm going to eat it but i'm going to make healthy choices the rest of the day and workout because of it. I used to feel so guilty about straying from my plan, but now I realize that its ok and I've lost a little over 15 pounds that way.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think I DO have the will power to stop. I've been really testing myself lately with that so I think I would be fine. And "shocking" my body with some tasty/not the healthiest food might do me some good. Perhaps I'll give it a shot. Maybe eat whatever I want but pay close attention to how full I'm getting. That alone is progress for me. :)
  • KelseyLayne
    KelseyLayne Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i did the same thing on WW. My sister and i would go binge right after our meetings. the trouble was-cheat days turned into "cram as much fat into my mouth as possible in a 24 hour period" days. NOT GOOD. it negated what we did for a good 3 or 4 days after. have a cheat MEAL but don't go all out. treat yourself to ONE thing you missed most. you should be safe :)
  • davidroth
    davidroth Posts: 11
    Options
    What I do is basically what I learned from Tom Venuto. And that is to follow a 90/10 rule. 90% of the time, follow a strict diet. And then 10%, eat whatever you want. THe only stipulation is that make sure you still don't exceed your total calories for the day.

That has helped me a lot. Because I used to go crazy on cheat days. Once I started with this method, it became a lot more easier to manage.

I think Tom Venuto even referenced a study where they studied weekend eating and they found that in a large amount of the samples, they completely blew away the calorie deficit they built up over the week.
  • Brandie6004
    Brandie6004 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't like to call them "cheat" days/meals. It makes me feel like I'm doing something "bad" or "wrong"; I don't like that... Come to think of it, I don't call it anything; I just... eat.

If I haven't done too great during the past however many days, then I try to make/pick the best choice (at home or out) but if I have been doing really well then I'll "cheat" some. (I take working out into count as well.)

Usually, I don't worry if im 100 or 200 over or under. I have a couple of days where I'm under, and a couple I'm over and some I'm so close to being spot on. I think it tends to kinda even out...

I also don't like the word "diet"... I'm not on a "diet" I'm still eating what I want so there's no need for me to "cheat"; I'm just making smarter/healthier choices. Some days those choices are better than others.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I was doing a cheat DAY every 21 days but found that I was getting myself sick eating bad the whole day. What I am trying now is having a cheat meal every week, along with a small dessert
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I don't like to call them "cheat" days/meals. It makes me feel like I'm doing something "bad" or "wrong"; I don't like that... Come to think of it, I don't call it anything; I just... eat.

If I haven't done too great during the past however many days, then I try to make/pick the best choice (at home or out) but if I have been doing really well then I'll "cheat" some. (I take working out into count as well.)

Usually, I don't worry if im 100 or 200 over or under. I have a couple of days where I'm under, and a couple I'm over and some I'm so close to being spot on. I think it tends to kinda even out...

I also don't like the word "diet"... I'm not on a "diet" I'm still eating what I want so there's no need for me to "cheat"; I'm just making smarter/healthier choices. Some days those choices are better than others.

What she said!!

I eat what I want to eat. Thanks to the changes I've made in my life, I usually don't want that indulgent meal or snack. I used to be a snackopotomus and would eat McD's almost every day. I've changed the way I eat and my mindset about food, so I don't consume like I used to. But when my tummy tells me it wants a cheeseburger, dammit, I'm giving it a cheeseburger!

So long story short, listen to your body. :)