Need a hairdressers HELP! Any of you hairdressers?

Options
jenbar
jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
I dyed my hair on Sunday. Permanent. Big mistake. It is not the color I wanted. It is too orange. It said reddish brown, my fault, I thought it was just going to be brown/auburn. No, too bozo looking for me. What can I do? I just want to dye it back to brown. I was trying to get rid of the grays and got something completely yucky! HELP! Can I dye it again, or do I have to live with it for a couple of weeks. I don't want to live with a hat on for 4-6 weeks!

Replies

• ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I am not a hairdresser, but I've double processed my hair before.
    You just want to be really careful and use as "healthy" a product as you can find.

OR

Just got to a professional.
  • tresa1234
    tresa1234 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'd say go to a professional if you can afford it at all ... I completely fried my hair back when I was coloring it myself!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I'm not a hairdresser either, but I think the best thing to do would be to weat a hat to the salon and have them fix it for you. Even if you redye it and it doesn't do extreme damage, the colour may not turn out right because you're dying over bright orange.

ps- I had a friend in highschool that died her hair twice in one day and it got really fragile and there was hair bits just breaking off. it was awful.:flowerforyou: go to a salon!
  • Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have been there before. If you can't afford/ don't want to go to a professional...
    There is a product that you can find at most pharmacies (I got it at Walgreens) It's called "Color Oops!"
    It smells gross lol but it brings your hair back to the color it was before you died it (it might come out much lighter) but the purpose is so that you can correct it and re-dye it if necessary. I have been dying my hair for years, my natural color is dirty blond and i have always gonedarker, when I used Color Oops, it brought my hair almost back to it's natural color. But anyway, if you use this product you can dye your hair in the same day again. I would also suggest using a deep conditioner after dying it!

Hope this helps!!

*edit* this is not a color treatment, it is a product that removes the dye you have used previously on your hair!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    If you go to the other side of the color wheel, green cancels out red. So an ash brown should cancel out the orangey tint. But, like others have said, it may leave your hair very fragile and damaged.

I'm not a hairdresser, but I get these calls from my friends all the time, because they know I color my hair myself. I never use a permanent color, and I'm about 50% grey, and get good coverage. I use Natural Instincts, it washes out in 24 or 28 shampoos, it only deposits color, so less damage to your hair. People who see me mixing my colors think I'm crazy, because I buy 3 different colors, but I get my own personal shade that way. I just mix the colors together, and pour them back into the bottles, and I'm good for the next three months.

Good luck!
  • haleyk
    haleyk Posts: 58
    Options
    Dawn dish soap strips color but I am not sure if you can dye again right away.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I AM A HAIRDRESSER!!!! all I can say is SEE YOUR HAIRDRESSER!! Hair color is a very personal thing. Its not like opening a box of crayolas and what you see is what you get! It is more about working with the existing color(s) in your hair and building on them or lifting them out to achieve your desired look.

Something in your existing color did not support the foundation to get the color in the box. My advice is to NEVER color your hair yourself UNLESS you are going no more than 2 shades lighter or darker than your existing color and that you have no manufactured (professional or home) color in your hair already.

There's a reason corrective colors cost a lot and its because it requires a lot of knowledge, a lot of patience, and probably 3 or 4 formulas to make your hair an even, presentable color. Professional colors are also mixed for YOUR hair. So it can be made gentler to save your damaged strands, or stronger to get the coverage you need. Its worth the money to save your hair and get it fixed rather than trying to fix it yourself. And you will probably learn your lesson. ;-)
  • jenbar
    Options
    OMG pettmybunny you're crazy mixing them up yourself! I'd be too nervous!
    Kateeliz, I did read about it and went to check it out at Rite Aid, but it kept referring to more blonde. The before/after photos were a blonde, it went red, then back to blonde and it said it will go to your lightest shade. Which makes me nervous, b/c my hair color is actually darker than what I dyed it. So I don't think it will go darker? ughhhh! Can I get a semi-perm, or do I have to wait, it's not like it's BRIGHT red, just maroony/orange toned. It LOOKS like I dyed my hair, and that's not what I was going for.
    stupid, stupid, stupid!
  • stylistchik
    Options
    So after posting my super long reply i re-read your situation and realized that grey hair was probably your culprit!! Grey hair responds completely differently to color because it has 0 existing pigment to work with. The word 'permanent' in hair color only means that it will lift (lighten) your hair before it deposits another color. Lift is needed to cover greys. Unfortunately, your greys picked up WAY more of the red in the color than you expected because there was no existing color in the hair and red pigment grabs the fastest but also fades the fastest. :-( when covering greys you need something labeled "warm" or "neutral/natural" because anything "ash" will turn grey or green looking, and anything "red" will turn orange!!! I hope this helps!!
  • jenbar
    Options
    I AM A HAIRDRESSER!!!! all I can say is SEE YOUR HAIRDRESSER!! Hair color is a very personal thing. Its not like opening a box of crayolas and what you see is what you get! It is more about working with the existing color(s) in your hair and building on them or lifting them out to achieve your desired look.

Something in your existing color did not support the foundation to get the color in the box. My advice is to NEVER color your hair yourself UNLESS you are going no more than 2 shades lighter or darker than y

My hairdresser is the one who told me to color it myself! Well, actually she told me to just to semi, I don't know what I was thinking when I grabbed the perm. (I couldn't find any actually). She thinks I don't need to have it done professionally yet, b/c she doesn't think I have that many grays, and thinks I'm too young to do it. They'll be on the floor laughing if I walked in there now!
    And I matched my hair color to the box color. I didn't go in any crazy direction lighter OR darker, and I didn't have any color in my hair. Stupid hair color!
    What can I do. I really can't afford to walk in there, nor do I have the time to get it done. How long do I have to wait?
  • jenbar
    Options
    So after posting my super long reply i re-read your situation and realized that grey hair was probably your culprit!! Grey hair responds completely differently to color because it has 0 existing pigment to work with. The word 'permanent' in hair color only means that it will lift (lighten) your hair before it deposits another color. Lift is needed to cover greys. Unfortunately, your greys picked up WAY more of the red in the color than you expected because there was no existing color in the hair and red pigment grabs the fastest but also fades the fastest. :-( when covering greys you need something labeled "warm" or "neutral/natural" because anything "ash" will turn grey or green looking, and anything "red" will turn orange!!! I hope this helps!!
    no, no, no, my hair isn't gray, it's brown. But I have probably 50 gray hairs in my head. It's more "orangy" near the roots (which is not how I'm turning gray, I get strands, not roots)
  • stylistchik
    Options
    oh no! haha 50 grey hairs are not worth covering! lol i'd try to find a light brown semi (or demi) permanent color. go with the light because you don't want your hair to end up black from coloring and coloring and those won't lift your color they will only deposit enough to cancel out the orange. your best bet for a few greys is to thrown in a couple highlights next time lol. they way they will "blend in" and it will just look natural.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I suggest you call tell her what happened and tell her to go find the right color (or at least guide you more to fix it) since SHE suggested you do it yourself, what kind of professional says that?
  • stylistchik
    Options
    it's so hard to explain colors to people because they say things like "warm caramel brown" or "honey highlights" and our colors are on a letter and number system!!! so when someone is trying to explain something over then phone its hard because we really have to SEE it. It may be more of less complicated than you think...
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am blonde and the one time I tried (Loreal--never again!) to color my hair at home my hair picked up the purple toner color. I tried Dawn detergent...it didn't work...and it is super drying. I called Loreal and they were no help, so I called Clairol (even though it wasn't their product) and they recommended Metalex. You can get it at Sally's Beauty Supply. It completely stripped out the color and I believe you can color immediately, but check the bottle, it's been awhile.

I also know if you use a clear coat (shine only) it will help tone down the color and make it look healthier.

Good luck!
  • Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    OMG pettmybunny you're crazy mixing them up yourself! I'd be too nervous!
    Kateeliz, I did read about it and went to check it out at Rite Aid, but it kept referring to more blonde. The before/after photos were a blonde, it went red, then back to blonde and it said it will go to your lightest shade. Which makes me nervous, b/c my hair color is actually darker than what I dyed it. So I don't think it will go darker? ughhhh! Can I get a semi-perm, or do I have to wait, it's not like it's BRIGHT red, just maroony/orange toned. It LOOKS like I dyed my hair, and that's not what I was going for.
    stupid, stupid, stupid!

Well if your not comfortable using this, then I would say the only other option without completely damaging your hair is to go to a salon :ohwell: But like I said the Color Oops is used so that you CAN re dye your hair and it will be much safer than just dying over dye :wink:

But if you really feel like you need to dye it again yourself, like I said before, make sure you use a deep conditioning treatment afterwards :flowerforyou:
  • jenbar
    Options
    okay, I took pics, now let's see what responses i get...
    CIMG1665-1.jpg

CIMG1656.jpg

I'm normally brown with the slightest of auburn in the sun. But this is just way too light and yucky!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    First may I say I don't think the color is bad....

I've been there before with home color oooppss--well first I would call the company who makes the color and see if they can help you -- I wanted champagne blond and got dark red/auburn--wow surprise!

It doesn't sound like you want to go to the salon - so hopefully they'll offer some help and if the color isn't what you expected tell them you want your money back on what you spent at the store since you'll be paying to fix it. Now if the suggested color on the box is what you got they won't do anything to help but I would try so your not out of money twice.
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with dies, I have red high lights so some dyes will make me go red. color oops is good. I would still wait a couple of days and use a good conditioner. :flowerforyou:
  • stylistchik
    Options
    if its too light, just go darker. color remover will just damage your hair. make sure you use a semi or demi permanent color (deposit only) and choose something LIGHTER than your desired color because it will appear darker once its on your hair. just something that will tone out the orange. I'd go for a light neutral brown.