Is it OK to not eat 100 of your exercise-gained calories?

Options
Is it OK to not eat 100 of your exercise-gained calories?

I don't want to throw anything out of whack, but, I also know I probably underestimate some food measurements, so, figure I would not eat 100 of my 230 calories added from doing exercise.

Replies

• allisonmarie93
    Options
    The way I tell is by hitting "complete your diary" after logging it in. If it warns you that you're eating too few calories, than you should eat more. If it doesn't, you're good :)
  • isobel2010
    Options
    Thanks! Good tip.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    100 is a good measure as long as you don't feel deprived. With that said, if you do crave a few extra calories don't deprive yourself. There are going to be days of being over and days of being under.
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    How about I not eat your 100 calories if you not eat my 500?
  • Giftherz
    Giftherz Posts: 9
    Options
    LOL!
    You gave me a giggle. I would ordinarily use my extra calories but I am finding that I am loosing weight easier by not using them. I don't feel hungry, I feel satisfied. What I do crave is sweets. I love baked goods, better yet baking them myself.
    So I avoid that.
    I know my measurements are probably outta wack a bit too so not eating my exercise cals is probably a great idea to compensate. :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine. However, if you reach a sustained plateau (3 weeks or more), try eating all of your exercise calories to see if that kick starts your weight loss again. It worked for me.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Do you use a HRM?

When figuring out what to eat back of your exercise calories, you have to do some math. You can't eat back all that you burned- you have to first subtract what you would have burned anyways at rest, because MFP has already calculated that (your BMR) into your daily calorie goals.
  • isobel2010
    Options

Very funny. Did I burn a calorie laughing? Better log it...
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Do you use a HRM?

When figuring out what to eat back of your exercise calories, you have to do some math. You can't eat back all that you burned- you have to first subtract what you would have burned anyways at rest, because MFP has already calculated that (your BMR) into your daily calorie goals.

Yeah I just started doing this. I do the math before I log the burned ones, that way it's more exact. LOL sometimes it's so frustrating because I'm sooo wanting to be done, but I have to keep exercising a few more mins in order to get to the correct calorie burn.

But I don't eat back all my exercise calories UNLESS I'm starving that day, then I do and don't feel bad since I normally don't. Like this Saturday --- I'll be eating ALL of them LOL. But normally I leave 100-200 not eaten.
  • curlyloca
    curlyloca Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Do you use a HRM?

Yeah I just started doing this. I do the math before I log the burned ones, that way it's more exact. LOL sometimes it's so frustrating because I'm sooo wanting to be done, but I have to keep exercising a few more mins in order to get to the correct calorie burn.

But I don't eat back all my exercise calories UNLESS I'm starving that day, then I do and don't feel bad since I normally don't. Like this Saturday --- I'll be eating ALL of them LOL. But normally I leave 100-200 not eaten.

Hi ladies.

Can you please elaborate on the HRM and adding/subtracting. Im going to start using mine but want to make sure I am eating what Im supposed to so i could avoid 'starvation' mode. thanks!
  • Egdsn77
    Egdsn77 Posts: 3
    Options
    Please elaborate on this caluculation.... I never eat my exercise calories unless I didnt eat my normal alotted calories and I only walked for 30 mins....who cant eat a hundred caloris...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I aim to eat back most of my exercise calories, but I don't stress if I am 100 or even more under my net. I'm sure all my calories logged for food and exercise aren't 100% accurate, so this gives a bit of a margin for error.
    BUT, I have a calorie goal of 1550 so I feel like that gives me more wriggle room to go under.
    I think the "don't go under 1200 NET cals" is a good guide for most women.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Do you use a HRM?

Hi ladies.

Can you please elaborate on the HRM and adding/subtracting. Im going to start using mine but want to make sure I am eating what Im supposed to so i could avoid 'starvation' mode. thanks!
    Please elaborate on this caluculation.... I never eat my exercise calories unless I didnt eat my normal alotted calories and I only walked for 30 mins....who cant eat a hundred caloris...

Sure! :flowerforyou:

So here's the thing. When you are doing nothing- resting, not exercising, you are still burning calories! A small amount, mind you, but you are. Those calories that you burn throughout the day if you were totally at rest is what makes up your BMR. When MFP calculates how much you need to eat each day in order to lose weight, it is using your BMR.

So what happens when you exercise is you burn more calories- but some of those calories you would have burned anyways just by existing. And since MFP has already accounted for those calories, you don't want to eat them back.

The best way to figure this is out is if you have a HRM, but you can do it from just your BMR too. What you need to do is wear your HRM for 10 minutes while you are just lying around doing nothing. Make sure that nothing happens to get your heart rate up. Don't walk around, don't read/watch something intense, just sit calmly and quietly. At the end of the 10 minutes, see how many calories it says you burned.

Alternatively, if you don't have a HRM, use the BMR tool on MFP and see what it tells you your BMR is. Now, that is over the course of the day, so you will want to break it down to a smaller increment (you can do it in minute intervals or 10 minute intervals). So if you want to do the 10 minute to be consistent, whatever it tells you your BMR is divided by the number of 10 minute intervals in a day (144).

Once you have this number, you can do your workouts as usual. Once you've finished your workouts, this is when it is time for more math.

What the aim of all this is is to subtract the number of calories you would have burned anyways at rest from your total burned during the workout so that you can see exactly how many you should eat back. Take however many minutes you worked out and divide by 10 (since I'm going to stick with the 10 minute theme). So if you worked out for 1 hour, the answer is 6. If you worked out for an uneven number of minutes, don't round up or down, keep the decimal. Then, multiple that number by the number you already figured out that you burn at rest in 10 minutes. Then, subtract that number from the total that you burned working out, and you have how many calories you should eat back.

Here's an example from one of my actual workouts. According to my HRM, I burn between 17 and 19 calories every 10 minutes at rest (you can do this over the course of a few days to get the most accurate number and then average them), so we'll say 18 (average).

I worked out for: 33 minutes. My HRM said I burned: 282 calories.

33 / 10 = 3.3
    3.3 * 18 = 59.4
    282 - 59.4 = 222.6

So you eat back 222 calories (at this point, you can round).

If I were to eat back all 282 calories, I'd actually be over my calories for the day by 60.

My theory is that most people who claim they can't eat back their exercise calories and still lose weight are actually doing it wrong. If you don't do these calculations, you WILL be overeating when you exercise!

The way I like to do it is to log as exercise what my HRM said I burned, but then "quick add" the calories that I subtract, so that I know I can't eat them. You could just subtract them from the total burned calorie amount and log it that way too, though.

If you guys have any other questions, feel free to ask! I hope that this helps. It is a very important concept. :smile:
  • Tyler575
    Tyler575 Posts: 1
    Options
    Thank you for this post , I've been on MFP for 3 weeks , lost 5.5 lbs in one week then nothing ...I've noticed if I don't excercise I lose a little more but when I exercise (walking the dog briskly for 40 mins = 4 min mile ) i gained ....Please could you tell me where the BRM tool is on the site , so I can do this calculation ..