Your views on coffee?

Options

Replies

• cutecourtney
    Options
    I do not believe that the coffee can make you hinder your weight. Although, it does depend on what you have in your coffee, everyday I used to have a french vanilla instead of a regular coffee, and the added calories really added up big time.
    just be sure to limit yourself to what you have in it!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    enjoy your coffee. i enjoy mine too. f what others say tbh.

lol....everyone here is pretty PRO COFFEE! ^_^

lol you'd be surprised how uppity people get here. enjoy what you want :)
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I live to drink coffee. Have 2-3 cups a day. I use real sugar, but only 1 tsp per cup (had to cut back slowly) and I even use half and half. I eat very healthy and plenty of food. I balance it out because its one of my vices and I refuse to give it up. Almost 20 lbs down in 90 days. So I say myth debunked.
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    All this reading about coffee, I now want a cup. I recently started drinking it with fat free french vanilla and a splender. I drink decaf only because I get less headaches. My favorite is with sugar and light cream. I've read that coffee helps with weight loss, but I think that is coffee with caffine. :drinker:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Two cups in the morning and I count it as 2 - 8oz servings of fluid (aka water)

i recommend to be a bit careful with that since it's such a powerful diuretic and isn't very hydrating
  • sheets03
    sheets03 Posts: 18
    Options
    Caffeine increases your metabolism, so its actually good to have a cup. The sugar free crap is not good, its all garbage that increase the amount of free radicals in your body. Caffeine is also a diuretic, so be sure to drink lots of water.
  • tornberg1
    tornberg1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Coffe is a diuretic as is any beverage with caffine. If you don't have more than a cup or two it shouldn't hinder weight loss unless you are not drinking your 64oz of water a day. You need to have proper amounts of fluids to flush your kidneys and liver, hydration is so important.
  • tornberg1
    tornberg1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Coffe is a diuretic as is any beverage with caffine. If you don't have more than a cup or two it shouldn't hinder weight loss unless you are not drinking your 64oz of water a day. You need to have proper amounts of fluids to flush your kidneys and liver, hydration is so important.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I love my coffee, couldnt live without it and drink it every morning with real sugar and creamer!! I just plan for and log the cals!! I also usually drink another cup or so of black leftover coffee when I get home to get me ready and movin to my workouts!!

I am losing and loving life, without coffee the second may not be true!
  • maddiecrist123
    Options
    I know a lot of caffeine can dehydrate you, which isn't good. But I do enjoy a morning cup of coffee with just half-and-half, or i'll get something more exotic for a dessert :)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I switched to coffee in order to kick diet coke.

Friends kept telling me what crap chemical are in it.
    I see how bad my mom's health is she drank constantly ever since I can remember.
    (I got too many science friends)

My thinking, sure coffee has got caffeine, but it's a more natural product and I get to control what I add to it.

I find it suppresses my appetite where, diet coke increases it big time.

I think it actually helps.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of caffeine can dehydrate you, which isn't good. But I do enjoy a morning cup of coffee with just half-and-half, or i'll get something more exotic for a dessert :)

I went to a nutritionist who told me that caffeine DOES NOT DEHYDRATE YOU.... It just hydrates you less effectively,

So a glass of water is simply much more effective, coffee and tea just less so...

I'm pretty sure ALCOHOL DOES dehydrate you, but came up with nothing definite with a quick google search.
  • ljk0828
    ljk0828 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    recently I've been reading some articles that say that drinking coffee can hinder weight loss? Do you guys think this is true?

Do you have links? Or maybe can you tell us the reasoning behind it?

Personally I don't believe it. Coffee is basically caffeine flavored water. Unless the caffeine somehow hinders weight loss, I don't see it.

http://www.ivillage.com/does-coffee-habit-slow-weight-loss/4-n-142436

That's an article I came across when I first started at mfp about two weeks ago, and realized I was logging a whole lot of coffee! Not sure I buy it all but it was a pretty interesting read, particularly the section about adrenaline and insulin levels.

And I haven't curbed my coffee intake one bit. In the morning I have two cups of very strong brewed coffee with one tbsp Almond Joy flavored creamer each, about 35 cal per cup. After that I drink it black :)
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

Haha... read some of the comments on that article.
    Are all you Americans so naive? Stop stuffing your faces with all your excess fatty processed gunk and leave coffee out of this. The rest of the world understands the meaning of "moderation". You know how rediculous it sounds when you guys speak of your Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks and then blame your adrenal glands.... what a joke! I eat to live, not live to eat
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    love it! but i have to have decaf now.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    20 cups of coffees a day and I lost weight. I'm down to 3 coffees a day (on doctor's orders) and I'm still losing weight. No differences here.

I love the stuff so much... I go overboard... I'm drinking one now... I know I'll want another as soon as it's finished but I'll stop myself!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I am an incredibly bad morning person without my coffee!

Every morning when i'm at work I skip down to Costa coffee... I found one a good 15-20 mins walk away so I can get a 30 minute round trip walk in on my way to purchase my morning joy... then if I have a good day of food planned I get the Skinny Cinnamon latte (124cals) and enjoy every single sip. If I have no food day planned (like today) I get the skinny cappuccino (58 cals) just in case I end up having to grab food on the go. It's such a good start to the day for me... almost like comfort food! Totally worth the calories and sugars!

Besides, most diet pills etc. have huge amounts of caffeine in them, it's the main ingredient! It stops hunger pangs and gives you absurd amounts of energy... which in theory sounds amazing, but then it also makes you irritable, jittery and have a racing heart and clammy skin so... it's often not worth it!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    20 cups of coffees a day and I lost weight.

Wow that's a bit much imo!
  • sightnowchanging
    Options
    Well I just thought I'd let everyone know that I have decided to CONTINUE DRINKING COFFEE! Haha.

Except from now on I will forgo the sugar-free syrups and artificial sweeteners because I always end up regretting adding them later... Thanks for all the replies and information! :)
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    There is a new study out every day with different results. (one says coffee helps you think before an important meeting.) I say, pick your battles and enjoying one or two cups of coffee in the am is much getter than a danish or donut.