My first NSV, but could really use some support, please.....

Options
blue3628
blue3628 Posts: 22 Member
Today was an office luncheon. In the past, I have ALWAYS attended. But this time, I didn’t. I was grateful that it was in a building away from my office so I didn’t have to smell it or look at it. Publix fried chicken, sides, cake, and soda. Arrgh!!! All my weaknesses rolled into one luncheon! Was really difficult to stay away from. But instead I brought grilled chicken and broccoli which was very good and eliminated all hunger pains. I was very proud of myself.

However, the hard part was; I’ve worked at the same place for 10 years. When I didn’t attend, EVERYONE noticed. So I’ve spent the rest of the day explaining why I wasn’t there….why is it so embarrassing to tell someone you’ve started a new diet?? I should be proud of myself for making a change in my life. Yet, instead I’m ready to cry. :sad:

Replies

• brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    You don't have to say you have started a diet. You can say "I have decided to improve my eating habits", or you could just say "Sorry, I just had too much work to get done to go this time!"

If you go with the "eating habits" comment, maybe the person planning the luncheons will include some healthier choices next time.

Good for you for staying strong! :flowerforyou:
  • Bditbobcat
    Bditbobcat Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Good for you for staying strong! It is obvious that you are a well-liked person in your workplace, so people should be understanding when you tell them that you are trying to eat healthy. Good Luck!!!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Maybe you'll start a trend of some healthier choices when there's a lunch. They might think of getting something healthy so you can attend : )
  • thisgirls48
    Options
    Your a big girl now and you owe no one an explination. Be proud that you didn't give in and you ate the lunch you brought.
    You will find the people that will give you support as they start to see the weight fall off, and then they will be asking for all sorts of information about your diet. Keep smiling, we're here for you!
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Good for you....I work at a office that we ALWAYS have some kind of food..stay strong it will all pay off in the end:)
  • januarykim
    januarykim Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This truly is a NSV--you're determined to make a change! (Beware of the colleagues though...don't let them make you feel guilty for not attending. If they're really supportive, they won't 'encourage' you to go to the next one.)
    You should really be proud--so plan a reward for yourself, like getting your nails done, or a new pair of earrings!
  • Twylyght
    Twylyght Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it is hard to explain it to everyone, especially when you have to keep repeating yourself over and over again. I would tell people that you are trying to eat healthier and the food on the menu just wasn't in you plan or something to that effect. Diet makes people's minds go straight to "oh she thinks she's fat" and I hate that. Eating healthy just tells them you want to take care of yourself...I don't know why it's such a big difference, but it is in most people's minds.
  • Jbledsoe42
    Jbledsoe42 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!

That was incredibly strong of you and you should be proud!

:flowerforyou:
  • mary_oneill80
    mary_oneill80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, first of all:
    I'm not sure if your profile pic is a before, during or after, but you look great!
    Secondly: its up to you what you eat, join in with or otherwise, but comments from co-workers shouldn't matter to you. Being healthy pays dividends and it is something to be proud of.
    Keep on the path you are on, you should be incredibly proud of yourself.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Good on you - you did the right thing!! Personally I decided right from the start to take the guys in the office on my journey with me - I was changing the way I was eating so drastically, and I was in the kitchen at work ALL the time - change from eating take outs 3 times a day - to making my own food 6 meals a day..... So it was easier for me to explain to them up front that I was changing my eating habits (as I had over a 100 pounds to lose) I did not really need to explain why :-)

What I got in return was some tremendous support - they get me through the bad patches - and celebrate the good ones with me. They will not even offer me any of the "goodies" - cause they know I will say no thank you...... but they also know that occasionally (and it is very occasionaly) I will actually eat a slice of cake...

Personally I have tried to stay away from words like diet, "i am not allowed to", and use positive affirmations - healthy / clean eating, I choose not to eat that (mind over matter)

So good on you - keep on - and I can only recommend taking the people in the office on your journey - that way you only explain once :-)
  • kc72886
    kc72886 Posts: 4
    Options
    Be proud of yourself. It is a difficult challenge to make healthy choices in the world we live in. Lets face it...the obesity epidemic in America wouldn't have happened if it was easy to eat healthy. Unfortunately, because of the American lifestyle people look at us like we have five heads when we chose grilled instead of fried. Be proud though. BTW can someone tell me what NSV stands for...call me a dumby, but I cant figure it out.
  • njoytheride
    njoytheride Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I found this video last night (couldn't sleep) Love, vulnerability, connectedness, etc. It might be timely for you. I don't know if you have 20 minutes, but I hope so. This really resonated with me, in my life--the shame.

http://www.wimp.com/expandingperception/#

Cut and paste into url.

Tell me if you liked it or not, OK! Take care of yourself, and be gentle with yourself.
    --Joy
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hunney ROAR like the woman you are!!

You stuck to your guns and DO NOT LET ANYONE :noway: let you feel inferior about your choice!! You are a determined, strong, beautiful, wants to do better WOMAN!!

You took the first step. The hardest step and it'll be a working progress from here. I'm PROUD of you. :drinker:

So dont hang your head low, but hold it high where it should be! :smile:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I agree you owe nobody any explanations. So something for you. Perhaps next time you can go there towards the end of the event after eating on your own.
  • blue3628
    Options
    oh man. bit embarassed on that one. :blushing: profile pic not current. was trying to load a pic before i posted and that was the only one i had on my computer at work. need to put a more current one up. face not that thin anymore and i dont mean to deceive...... thank you so much for your support. was very nervous to put myself out there but am realizing that THIS is the way to succeed! surround yourself with a MASSIVE and POSITIVE support group. I'm really overwhelmed by the response and couldn't appreciate it more! thank you so much to everyone that has posted :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • blue3628
    Options
    Congratulations! This truly is a NSV--you're determined to make a change! (Beware of the colleagues though...don't let them make you feel guilty for not attending. If they're really supportive, they won't 'encourage' you to go to the next one.)
    You should really be proud--so plan a reward for yourself, like getting your nails done, or a new pair of earrings!

wow! i never even thought of rewarding myself for that. that's an awesome idea. thank you thank you. will do just that tomorrow :happy:
  • mongo2004
    mongo2004 Posts: 11
    Options
    Dont ever let anyone judge you for doing what is best. :) good job the hardest part is my brother likes to buy pizza it smells so good and i am eating a rice cake or something lol but then i say im almost to 60 pounds lost do i want to add more for 30 seconds of taste no! just keep on truckin
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    You should be so proud of yourself. You made a very wise decision. I don't tell people I am on a diet; I tell them that I am making a lifestyle change. You did the right thing. Stay strong!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!