Having Calorie Issues..I keep going under

Options
I went under my calorie goal by about like 400+ calories. I haven't been starving myself and I'm not hungry and I don't want to eat just to be eating something. Would anyone mind taking a look at my diary and seeing how I can get my cals up without stuffing myself? I really dont want to send my body into starvation mode either. So eating properly and enough is VERY important to me.

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    You're at about 1800 calories for today, so I'd say you are fine as long as you are losing weight still. 1200 calories is the minimum.
  • campbellcjdm
    Options
    sure - friend me and i think i can see it then
  • MrsDowns22
    Options
    My diary should be public. My calories are @ 782 net@ Elizabeth. So I am a bit under 1200 net
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your fine...as long as your still losing. It gets harder to lose the closer you get to your goal weight.
    Some days I eat over half of my workout calories...most days I don't. I eat if I'm hungry.

2639362.png
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My diary should be public. My calories are @ 782 net@ Elizabeth. So I am a bit under 1200 net

Oh I see.

It doesn't show your net calories on the public diary page.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Oh I see.

Just subtract the calories she burned from the calories she consumed.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    With that amount of exercise you probably want top adjust the calorie balance to get more protein than the low value MFP initially sets for everyone.

Add a yoghurt to breakfast?
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    First off, it looks like you are doing an outstanding job logging and eating well. When I need extra calories, I go for a handful of almonds or a peanut butter sandwich or something protein rich and calorie dense. Avocado is another good one. Also, after workouts, chug a tall glass of chocolate milk. It'll help your body with recovery and give you about 250 calories. All that being said, you burned 1100 calories today so it's hard to eat those ALL back. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. When I have huge burns like that, I generally don't get them all back either. You are doing great so keep up the good work!!!
  • MrsDowns22
    Options
    Thank you for that Christine. I just dont want to do myself harm but not eating all of my exercise calories. I'm terrified of that lol.
  • joolzsd
    joolzsd Posts: 51
    Options
    Almonds - at Trader Joe's they have a big bag of single serve roasted unsalted almonds. One packet is 210 cals and 16g fat. You're generally way under on your fat so you have room there. I have them for an afternoon snack almost every day. You are killing the workouts, btw!! Nice!
  • MrsDowns22
    Options
    First off, it looks like you are doing an outstanding job logging and eating well. When I need extra calories, I go for a handful of almonds or a peanut butter sandwich or something protein rich and calorie dense. Avocado is another good one. Also, after workouts, chug a tall glass of chocolate milk. It'll help your body with recovery and give you about 250 calories. All that being said, you burned 1100 calories today so it's hard to eat those ALL back. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. When I have huge burns like that, I generally don't get them all back either. You are doing great so keep up the good work!!!

Well thank you so much! I really do appreciate that. I really did feel overwhelmed today when I was faced with the challenge of eating ALL of those calories back. I was like HOW am I going to eat that much food lol. I'm glad I am not OBLIGATED to eat every single calorie bak. Thank you for that tip about the chocolate milk I'll have to grab some the next time I go to TJ's!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would limit your calories burned. Stick to 500-700 per workout, per day. You don't need to burn more than that. You should also be eating less processed food and you really need to watch your sodium. As far as eating more goes, have a bigger breakfast. Mine are usually 400-600 calories. You should have a good balance of protein and carbs at breakfast to keep you full and give you energy. You can also eat real bread instead of sandwich thins.Try eating some steak and chicken breasts instead of sausage that are loaded with sodium. You also need a lot more fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • MrsDowns22
    Options
    Almonds - at Trader Joe's they have a big bag of single serve roasted unsalted almonds. One packet is 210 cals and 16g fat. You're generally way under on your fat so you have room there. I have them for an afternoon snack almost every day. You are killing the workouts, btw!! Nice!

That is a really good idea actually. I used to eat a lot of nuts but they're my favorite so I tend to get carried away lol!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Your foods look really good - heck, I wish I was eating as healthy :-) Like some of the others said, I wouldn't worry about not eating all of your exercise calories back, as long as you're not feeling tired or sluggish. If you do want quick calorie rich snacks, nuts, peanut butter, chocolate milk (or soy or almond milk) after exercising are all great choices. Try increasing your protein, too.
  • campbellcjdm
    Options

Oh I see.

Got it - I have never tried to look at someone else's profile - always saw it was 'private unless friended'.
    I did take a peak and here are a couple of thoughts.

First, you are WAY over on your salt. I am not sure why that allocation changes becuase the max a person should have is 1500-1800 - but 2500?!?!?! Just be careful on your blood pressure my friend - don't want ya strokin' out on us :explode: Some of those Trader Joe 'health' foods replace good stuff with not good stuff. Just check the labels. That could be part of your water weight retention too.

Second, make sure you are not double counting your activity calories. You have 2300 calories for a daily goal - wow - I am jealous (says the 1200 a day person :sad: ) !! You probably put down that you have a very active lifestyle. But then you enter your activities. I am not sure you are supposed to do that. If you enter 'very active', then your regular activities are covered in the basic calories it computes. Activities you do that are 'out of the ordinary' / 'extra' would then take out of those calories. I am not sure I am explaining it right so here is an example. If you say you have an active lifestyle because you normally run 60min/day, then it would give you 2300 calories and you would run to stay at your current weight (you get 60 minutes/day of running calories in the basic calorie allocation). But then you count those calories get AGAIN by entering running 60 min for the day (so it subtracts it for net calories and you think you have to eat them again). I am not sure if this is what is happening since I can't see your activity level, or know how you run your life activities. But it is something to think about, especially if you are not losing weight. Figure out if you need to change your activity level, or how/what you enter into the activites.

Hope that helps
    Good luck - to us both :)
  • MrsDowns22
    Options

Oh I see.

Got it - I have never tried to look at someone else's profile - always saw it was 'private unless friended'.

First, you are WAY over on your salt. I am not sure why that allocation changes becuase the max a person should have is 1500-1800 - but 2500?!?!?! Just be careful on your blood pressure my friend - don't want ya strokin' out on us :explode: Some of those Trader Joe 'health' foods replace good stuff with not good stuff. Just check the labels. That could be part of your water weight retention too.

Second, make sure you are not double counting your activity calories. You have 2300 calories for a daily goal - wow - I am jealous (says the 1200 a day person :sad: ) !! You probably put down that you have a very active lifestyle. But then you enter your activities. I am not sure you are supposed to do that. If you enter 'very active', then your regular activities are covered in the basic calories it computes. Activities you do that are 'out of the ordinary' / 'extra' would then take out of those calories. I am not sure I am explaining it right so here is an example. If you say you have an active lifestyle because you normally run 60min/day, then it would give you 2300 calories and you would run to stay at your current weight (you get 60 minutes/day of running calories in the basic calorie allocation). But then you count those calories get AGAIN by entering running 60 min for the day (so it subtracts it for net calories and you think you have to eat them again). I am not sure if this is what is happening since I can't see your activity level, or know how you run your life activities. But it is something to think about, especially if you are not losing weight. Figure out if you need to change your activity level, or how/what you enter into the activites.

Hope that helps

Thank you for the input I actually put my activity level as sedentary at the moment since I am visiting my mother and father and will be for about 4 months. So I am not working at this time.
  • campbellcjdm
    Options

Oh I see.

Hope that helps

Thank you for the input I actually put my activity level as sedentary at the moment since I am visiting my mother and father and will be for about 4 months. So I am not working at this time.

This is what friends are for ... if you need ME to eat your extra calories ... I would certainly be willing LOL !!