I can't be the ONLY one with this problem

Options
I am totally fine lately eating healthy..my biggest problem has been exercise. And it's because I am a 100% commited SMOKER. I know how horrible it is for me, I've known since I was a child, but i was stupid and started anyway, and now I am completely addicted.

can anyone give some advice on how to get past the hump of not wanting to exercise because they smoke?

Replies

• azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I have been smoking since i was 12 and I am 35 now. I also work out 4-6 days a week for 30-60 min at a time. Honestly...even as a smoker you build up and can handle it. I get less breathless than some nonsmokers I know. But...I am also working on quitting smoking too. I was at a pack a day marlboros now I roll my own (with filters) which, believe it or not, are better for you and I smoke less than a half a pack a day. hopefully i will quit soon, but like you, i am totally addicted :(
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I'm not a smoker... but am an avid exerciser... can you help me understand why smoking prevents you from exercising... is it because you have trouble breathing... coughing... ? What is the issue because I know a lot of smokers that do exercise... is it just cardio or weights too? Do you want to overcome this problem and are looking for advice on how to or just want to vent with others who share the same outlook?
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I am totally fine lately eating healthy..my biggest problem has been exercise. And it's because I am a 100% commited/love it/don't know if I ever want to quit-SMOKER. I know how horrible it is for me, I've known since I was a child, but i was stupid and started anyway, and now I am completely addicted.

can anyone give some advice on how to get past the hump of not wanting to exercise because they smoke?

omg im trying to stop too i was stopped for 2 months and then one smoke i started again idk gum helps me alot!
  • KelseyLayne
    KelseyLayne Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    oh no no I definatley would appreciate the advice!! It is horrible to walk for 10 minutes and feel like ive run 10 miles. It's very embarrassing and is mentally blocking me from wanting to exercise!
  • bcpie
    bcpie Posts: 89
    Options
    I love smoking and I def don't exercise enough..but unfortunately they aren't related, so I'm not much help to you lol. Just wanted to share :p
  • alicia826
    alicia826 Posts: 51
    Options
    I smoke, it is hard to walk, let alone run. I think that what helps me is by doing videos to start you off. I go to my mom's house every night and do either a kickboxing video or toning... it has some cardio in it that is not STRAIGHT running/jogging/marching... i'm assuming thats what the first obstacle is for you as well... She has a treadmill and I've been on it a few times, but I am just not ready to climb on and start running along. YET! I am planning on doing the videos until I get my stamina and lungs to a functioning state... THEN

I am going to start the c25k program... its supposed to start you off from not being able to run at all and get you to be able to run a 5k in a couple months... but NOT wear you out to the point of saying screw it, I'd rather be fat (like I've done in the past!!)

I'd suggest just taking a look at it and seeing if it would be right for you. It has mp3s that you can put on your ipod and it motivates you along during your whole workout. It tells you when to warmup, run, walk, and cooldown.

GOOD LUCK! And feel free to add me for some fellow smoker support!
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am also addicted to smoking. I've tried to quit I don't know how many times, and I keep promising myself and my husband that I will some day. I find that I can do some H-core circuit training and still be fine. I breath hard because I'm working hard, not because I'm a smoker.

I think you need to put the idea aside that the smoking is the reason you can't work out. I think, and I'm not trying to be a meany, that you might just be using it as a mental excuse for not wanting to work out. Trust me there are plenty of days that I don't want to work out, and I'll find all sorts of excuses to not do it. Plus anytime that anyone, smoker or not, starts working out when they haven't in a long time, they tend to start breathing hard, eventually you'll adjust.

Good luck to you!
  • scarrier_3
    Options
    I smoke a pack a day I know I should quit and I want to quit. I am working only slowly but the fact is its not easy. I make myself work out everynight and to be honest after I run on the Ellipical every night I feel so much better and even breath better I started out at 10 minutes I am now at 19 its just commiting your self to doing it.
  • alicia826
    alicia826 Posts: 51
    Options
    OH! I forgot to post the website... http://c25k.com/

my bad :)
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I am totally fine lately eating healthy..my biggest problem has been exercise. And it's because I am a 100% commited/love it/don't know if I ever want to quit-SMOKER. I know how horrible it is for me, I've known since I was a child, but i was stupid and started anyway, and now I am completely addicted.

I exercise an hour or more 7 days a week and I am a smoker although I have cut back since I have been working out. I honestly have no intention of quitting any time in the foreseeable future. I'm like you, I know it's bad, but I do it anyway. Honestly there is no reason not to exercise because you smoke. Your lung capacity won't be the best, but it shouldn't stop you from exercising. If you cough a lot when you exercise I have found that eating a cough drop while you exercise helps. You just have to decide to exercise no matter what.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Smoking shouldn't stop you from exercising. Just do as much as you can. Even while still smoking you can improve your health.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I promise it does get easier to handle... I've only smoked for a few years... I know right... y LOL anyways when I first started working out a lot I was doing Hip Hop Abs... some of the moves would make my sides hurt, like I couldn't breath... so I slowed down once I start hurting, drink lots of water... and keep going. I honestly don't really get that out of breath anymore, and I usually workout 30-60 minutes a day... sometimes I take lots of days off exercising... but it does get easier, you just gotta make urself. and if you can only go for 10 minutes... do that as long as you need, every day... then try and up it ... soon enough you won't even have the problem anymore :)
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

I think you need to put the idea aside that the smoking is the reason you can't work out. I think, and I'm not trying to be a meany, that you might just be using it as a mental excuse for not wanting to work out. Trust me there are plenty of days that I don't want to work out, and I'll find all sorts of excuses to not do it. Plus anytime that anyone, smoker or not, starts working out when they haven't in a long time, they tend to start breathing hard, eventually you'll adjust.

I would agree with this too. I used that as an excuse for a little while too. Might not be your excuse, but maybe consider it :)
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I promise it does get easier to handle... I've only smoked for a few years... I know right... y LOL anyways when I first started working out a lot I was doing Hip Hop Abs... some of the moves would make my sides hurt, like I couldn't breath... so I slowed down once I start hurting, drink lots of water... and keep going. I honestly don't really get that out of breath anymore, and I usually workout 30-60 minutes a day... sometimes I take lots of days off exercising... but it does get easier, you just gotta make urself. and if you can only go for 10 minutes... do that as long as you need, every day... then try and up it ... soon enough you won't even have the problem anymore :)

I forgot I also smoke about a pack a day... sometimes more and sometimes less... you just gotta push urself to do it
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I started smoking at 15 y/o. I am now almost 32 y/o. But, here's the kicker....I'm a competitive swimmer. I've been swimming since college 14 years ago. Some how smoking has never stopped me from exercising. I do not get short of breath, my lungs don't burn and my blood pressure is normal. I know I need to quit, but it is so very hard. I think deep down, I just don't want to quit. I smoke when I drive to ease the anxiety of driving and to break up long sits in traffic. I smoke at home just to get out of the house.

Just today I had a chest X-ray done and the tech asked me why did the doctor even order it. I told her I had some congestion that didn't seem to want to go away (of couse it's gone now). She was surprised because my pictures were clear. I know eventually smoking will catch up with me, but quitting right now is so hard.
  • saraherwin70
    Options
    I am an ex-smoker (20+ years of smoking), and totally understand how difficult it is to excercise. You have to build up slowly to prevent yourself from becoming winded. Yoga is great because it doesn't wind you and you can get cardio and strength training. Just start with gentle yoga and move up.
    Try hypnosis to quit. I tried many times to quit and hypnosis was the only thing that worked.
    I loved to smoke too, but I am so happy that I quit!
  • msjackson1019
    msjackson1019 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    While I don't smoke, I do have a lot of breathing issues if I try to jog/run. Like, within a few minutes of starting to jog, it feels like my lungs are on fire and my throat is swelling up. But, that doesn't mean I can't exercise. I have had a lot of success with an exercise bike. I found even when I first started working out, I could do 30 minutes or more of exercise on the exercise bike with very minimal breathing issues. I made sure to challenge myself by doing a workout with varying resistance and made sure my heart rate was elevated to the right level and I still was able to complete it without feeling like I was going to pass out from oxygen deprivation. I also have been able to use an elliptical machine and do yoga (you would be surprised how much of a workout yoga really is) without much issue.
  • NickiStone
    NickiStone Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was like you had no desire to give up my Camels. Then back in February I was over at my mom's and my sister had a e-cig. I tried it out and liked it. It allows me to get my nicotine fix, "smoke" (or Vap) while driving and have my nicotine when I drink. I got my e-cig and have not smoked a Camel since :D. I am now doing ChaLean Extreme and working out 5-6 times a week. I am really happy that I made this slight change in my smoking habit.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    This may sound odd, but doing breathing meditations helps to make it easier to breath. Yoga incorporates a lot of that. The intentional breathing not only makes it easier to breath, but gives you a similar rush to that of nicotine and helps to reduce the cravings. Also, like others have said, starting with a bit then working your way up strengthens your muscles and your lungs.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    If I can influence one person, then I did my job. Sorry for the length of this.

I smoked for almost 25 years. I played hockey and baseball up to 7 years ago. Since then I have gained some weight, and continued to smoke.
    2009 I joined MFP. I lost 35 lbs, and I still smoked. I was able to partially jog. I followed C25k. but my endurance for jogging was short, as I would get out of breath.
    I then got married, went away on vacation, and basically didn't continue the same lifestyle when I came back.

During this whole time I felt bad eating healthy but I was still smoking.
    But it's cool, everyone else smokes. When your at work, you can go outside and join other smokers to talk. In the winter time you freeze outside.
    You are spending your hard earned money for something that will slowly kill you.
    Would you buy rat poison, and take one minature grain of poison every day?

So on Feb 14th, 2011 I finally quit smoking. With the help of champix/chantix. It took away all my cravings. I used a straw and gum for the first week.
    I said goodbye to a friend that cost me a tremendous amount of money. $300/month over how many years.

Here is an ebook 212 pages that helped me very much.
    http://whyquit.com/NTAP_large_print_212_pages.pdf

I suggest/challenge/dare (whatever word) to read chapter 2 at the very least - my cigarette, my friend.

To those younger people. I have 10-20 years on you, I used to say to myself.. oh I'll quit one day. Years pass by fast.
    For those who "I enjoy smoking." Really it is ... "We don't enjoy not smoking."
    It's explained in the ebook along with lists of diseases/problems that can happen from smoking. Not just lung cancer, but if you are curious of pictures of a smokers lung, then you can view that too.

When I quit, I was smoking 750 cigarettes a month. I've been smoke free and avoided over 1500 cigarettes so far.
    To those who want to quit. I challenge you. Instead of telling yourself you smoke 1/2 pack a day, or you smoke a pack a day. Be honest and tell yourself that you are a 300 cigarette a month smoker, or 600 cigarette a month smoker.

It changed my mindset huge, knowing that in 1 month, I smoked 750 death sticks, and it cost me $300/month.

Oh yah the reason I started this reply..
    I'm 20 lbs heavier than I was last year at this time. 1 month after quitting smoking, I went out to continue the C25k. I jogged further, longer, carrying 20 lbs more than I did 20 lbs lighter as a smoker last year.
    That was march 18, today I have walked/jogged to Couch25k Week4 and do 8 kms and I was able to keep up to 5 min jogs four times within the hour.