can i get some help calculating quick calories for my lunch?

Options
i went out with a friend for lunch and we had a great time! we went to a trendy area filled with restaurants and decided to try out four of them. :) one for appetizers, one for salad, one for the main meal and one for dessert. we split everything right down the middle.

the appetizers was at a asain-mexican-fusion place. we ate one each of:
potstickers (with soy sauce and green onions)
crab ragoon (with sweet and sour sauce)
veggie egg roll (with sweet thai chili sauce)
taquito (1/2 chicken, 1/2 beef; with guacamole)
spinach fontina tomato quesadilla (with salsa and cilantro sour cream)

the salad was mediterranean, with chicken, feta cheese, couscous and a hummus dressing. it was 570 calories and i ate half (285).

the main meal was a salmon, bacon and green apple sandwich with arugula and chipolte mayo. split in half and i didn't eat the bread. i think my portion of the salmon was about 3 ounces.

the dessert was called black bottom pie. delish! it was chocolate pudding layered with vanilla bean pudding in a shortbread cookie crust and whipped cream. i ate half.

i am thinking 900-1250 calories. does that seem like enough? too much?

thanks for the help!

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    In times like this I just make it a cheat day.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i didn't 'cheat'; i was having a fun, unique date with a friend. i don't mind not being exact, but i do want to include something in my diary for the day. :) i love using quick calories when listing it out individually would be too time-consuming.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I guess that does sound right, asian inspired meals can be very high in calories. Could be more..but it does sound super good! If i was having a meal like that, there wouldn't be any left on the plates/dessert bowls..:laugh:
  • carriep2010
    carriep2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    In times like this I just make it a cheat day.
    I agree, I would have just licked the plates and called it a cheat day..lol There is nothing wrong with that every once in a while:)
  • mzayed
    mzayed Posts: 27
    Options
    I would guess closer to the 1250 but Im not for sure. I had a dessert similar to that and was schocked and the cal amount after the fact. Sounds like a fun time and sooo yummy!! Gkad you enjoyed it.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It was probably closer to 2000-- in cases like this, it's probably helpful to find a similar restaurant (do PF Changs for the Asian stuff, maybe Arriba's for the Mexican) to get a general idea.
  • Method2Madness
    Options
    If the resturant doesn't have a nutritional guide on-line...I've found a lot of good information at:

www.calorieking.com

It's a good place to search for lots of foods and get approximate calories. It's often how I calculate the calories for complex meals that I make...or I can often find another resturant's version that gives a good estimate.

FYI...I use this for calorie counting only if I can't find appropriate information in the MFP database. It's a good site, but it's not nearly as useful as this one.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    I would guess closer to the 1250 but Im not for sure. I had a dessert similar to that and was schocked and the cal amount after the fact. Sounds like a fun time and sooo yummy!! Gkad you enjoyed it.

the pie is really the only thing i don't know how to calculate. i estimate the apps to be about 450-500 and the salmon 'sandwich' was about 250, maybe 300. the pie? no clue since i am not a baker.

i went with 1450 to be on the safe side. :)
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    It was probably closer to 2000-- in cases like this, it's probably helpful to find a similar restaurant (do PF Changs for the Asian stuff, maybe Arriba's for the Mexican) to get a general idea.

i doubt it was that high unless my portion of pie was over 600 calories. :) which means that our slice of pie was 1200 calories and a whole pie would be 7200 (estimating that the restaurant cuts them into 1/6th, not 1/8th). if that is the case, holy dang!
  • tiggr62
    tiggr62 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am shocked at how high some resturant foods are. I would have put in 2500 calories for the day and called it big fun filled cheat day, Glad you had a good time.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the pie was that high, but each of those apps at PF changs is ~200 calories when you include sauce, not counting the sour cream and guacamole! So figure 800 for apps, plus the salad (285) and the sandwich (IDK, 350 seems right for Salmon, a slice of bacon, mayo and bread).... and then I really have no clue about the pie-- most desserts like that are 700 ish, I would think.

But like everyone else said, sometimes you just gotta have one of those days where you throw the numbers out the window and have fun :)
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    I don't know if the pie was that high, but each of those apps at PF changs is ~200 calories when you include sauce, not counting the sour cream and guacamole! So figure 800 for apps, plus the salad (285) and the sandwich (IDK, 350 seems right for Salmon, a slice of bacon, mayo and bread).... and then I really have no clue about the pie-- most desserts like that are 700 ish, I would think.

But like everyone else said, sometimes you just gotta have one of those days where you throw the numbers out the window and have fun :)

thanks for trying to help!

i don't think i wrote it out very well. we didn't have one plate of each of the apps, we had ONE of each. one potsticker (smaller than normal size, one dip in sauce), one crab ragoon (i didn't eat the edges, just the yummy gooey center, one dip in sauce), one veggie egg roll (unfried, very thin, three dips in sauce), one half a chicken taquito and one half a beef taquito (both in a blue corn shell, total guacamole was less than a tablespoon and we split it), one triangle of a quesadilla (three total). the first three apps are maybe 70 calories each.

also i did not eat the bread on the sandwich.

i found a similar dessert made in cupcakes by america's test kitchen that were 227 calories. the size of our slice of pie was the equivalent of two normal cupcakes. so i think i am fine with 350 for dessert.

i have bumped the quick calories up to 1490, because of not knowing about the dessert. all in all, i think i am pretty accurate with that amount. :)