non-toxic water solutions?

Options
So, I am desperate to take in more water but I don't care for water at all and I don't like all the aspartame stuff so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to spruce up water to make it more pallatable! A friend suggested cucumber sliced in or maybe mint leaves thrown in....has anyone used other herbs or veggies or fruits? Thanks in advance :happy:

Replies

• kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I like lemon (or lime) in my water!
  • tfis4life
    tfis4life Posts: 11
    Options
    Look for the natural crystal lite individual drink packets. I think it is labeled as a fitness drink and uses stevia (natural sweetener from the leaf of a sunflower relative) instead of aspartame. Great taste about 5-10 calories and no artificial crap. Good luck drinking more water!
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Crystal Lite Pure is the only one out there that doesn't use a toxic chemical sweetener. it uses Stevia a natural sweetener. :)

i like to throw in orange slices in my water. i have a friend who puts in a lil blue agave in hers. :) also a natural sweetener :)
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Lemon! :)
  • Aubers
    Aubers Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Are you anti splenda?? The new Mio Water Enhancers are really yummy.

Or if thats a no go, I love love love lemon in my water. Usually put 2 good size slices.

“MiO is sweetened with Sucralose, a calorie-free, artificial sweetener that is 600 times sweeter than sugar. Generally, non-nutritive sweeteners are calorie free in finished products because they impart high sweetness intensity and are needed only in very small amounts to give desired sweetness to a product. Artificial sweeteners provide sweetness without adding calories to help individuals watching their calorie and sugar intake. To maintain color and freshness, MiO does use certain preservatives and artificial colorings.” The ingredients for Mango Peach includes: Water, Malic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Citrict Acid, Contains less than 2% of natural flavor, Sucralose and Acesulfame potassium(Sweeteners), Potassium citrate, Polysorbate 60, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Red 40, Potassium Sorbate (Perservative). The ingredient for Peach Tea includes: Water, Malic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Citrict Acid, Contains less than 2% of natural flavor, Sucralose and Acesulfame potassium (Sweeteners), Potassium citrate, Yellow 5, Blue 1, Red 40, Potassium Sorbate (Perservative).
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like lemon, lime, cucumber and mint (not together!)

You could also try a splash of fruit juice - Trader Joe's (and lots of other places) have 100% juices that, by themselves, are way too concentrated so they'd be great for a splash in to water.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Lemon AND lime... I'm ambitious like that.
  • Bapo622
    Bapo622 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I sometimes grate fresh ginger and add lemon and mint leaves. Also, EcoDrink is a vitamin mix that uses stevia as the sweetener.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Red 40, Potassium Sorbate (Perservative).

Oh wow, that sounds delicous.
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I was curious about that ne MIO stuff myself....
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I often put frozen mixed berries in (use them for ice cubes)
    Or Lemon, lime or orange
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    All the suggestions on ways to add flavor sound great!

I think that most tap water, while perfectly safe to drink, does taste strange. You might consider buying a faucet-mount filter or pitcher-style filter to filter your tap water for taste.

(rant) Don't buy bottled water! Use a refillable container! (/rant) ;)
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    i vote Mio!

but i gotta warn you, that stuff is VERY flavorful. i use VERY little in my 1-liter bottles.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I have used oranges, lemon juice, lime juice, cantelope and watermelon for fruits and I use Mint on occassion... sometimes I will combine the cucumber with mint. At safeway they also carry a product called truelime true lemon and true orange they are small packages of crystalized orange, one package is equivalent to 1 slice of orange.
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Are you anti splenda?? The new Mio Water Enhancers are really yummy.

Or if thats a no go, I love love love lemon in my water. Usually put 2 good size slices.

“MiO is sweetened with Sucralose, a calorie-free, artificial sweetener that is 600 times sweeter than sugar. Generally, non-nutritive sweeteners are calorie free in finished products because they impart high sweetness intensity and are needed only in very small amounts to give desired sweetness to a product. Artificial sweeteners provide sweetness without adding calories to help individuals watching their calorie and sugar intake. To maintain color and freshness, MiO does use certain preservatives and artificial colorings.” The ingredients for Mango Peach includes: Water, Malic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Citrict Acid, Contains less than 2% of natural flavor, Sucralose and Acesulfame potassium(Sweeteners), Potassium citrate, Polysorbate 60, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Red 40, Potassium Sorbate (Perservative). The ingredient for Peach Tea includes: Water, Malic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Citrict Acid, Contains less than 2% of natural flavor, Sucralose and Acesulfame potassium (Sweeteners), Potassium citrate, Yellow 5, Blue 1, Red 40, Potassium Sorbate (Perservative).

its your body and you can do what you want with it but i want you to be aware just so you know ... sucralose just like aspartame is based on an acid as well as formaldehyde then rinsed through chlorine.

Acesulfame potassium(Sweeteners) this beauty also known as Acesulfame K is the worst artificial sweetener used today and groups have been fighting for years to have it removed by the FDA. this beauty is found in MiO as they tout they are not made with aspartame they do not tell people how dangerous Acesulfame K really can be. The chemical is not good.

This is also why you will find very few products using Acesulfame K.

Just so you know. I have a blog posted about artificial sweeteners as I couldn't understand why i was experiencing crazy migraines and other issues. since cutting out the fake sweeteners.. the problems have gone away.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Just so you know. I have a blog posted about artificial sweeteners as I couldn't understand why i was experiencing crazy migraines and other issues. since cutting out the fake sweeteners.. the problems have gone away.

^^^ Ditto.

I am 100% anti-splenda (sucralose). I *NEVER* get headaches, but a few years ago I started getting debilitating migranes. Seeing stars, skull splitting, I'm going to puke migraines. I traced it to splenda, and since eliminating it (and avoiding all the others too), I have not had one single headache since -- headache free for 6 years by cutting out artificial sweeteners.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Sobe has a 5 calorie fuji apple/cranberry drink that I turn to when I'm totally sick of water. Can't remember what it's sweetened with, but I know it's not aspartame or sucralose/splenda.