Insulin resistant low carb diet, help!

Options
I've just been put on a new diet because I'm insulin resistant and I am supposed to limit myself to 1,200 to 1,500 calories a day and only 150g of carbs. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with it and I'm having trouble staying below my carb goal. If anyone else follows a similar diet and has any tips or menu ideas that they find helpful I'd love to see them. I need all the help I can get. Thanks!

Replies

• Kristy085
    Kristy085 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a helpful diet plan from my nutritionist (for insulin resistance)...I can e-mail you a copy of it after I scan it in if that will help you? :-)
  • hannahfayek
    Options
    That would be amazing!!! my email is hannah_faye_k@hotmail.com
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have a helpful diet plan from my nutritionist (for insulin resistance)...I can e-mail you a copy of it after I scan it in if that will help you? :-)

Would you mind sending me a copy as well? I'm trying, but it's a real challenge.
  • Sirenism
    Sirenism Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Would you mind e-mailing it to me too Kristy?
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS which causes me to be insulin resistant. I try to stick with low sugar/carbs. You can add me if you would like, I have a public diary :)
  • Kristy085
    Kristy085 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If yall will add me as a friend and include your e-mail...I will try and send it to everyone who would like a copy. Thanks!
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    This website has low carb versions of EVERYTHING! I stay under 20 net grams of carbs per day. It takes some creativity, but it's doable! Good luck!

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am not great at maintaining my carb goal, but I have set it on MFP to be around 150ish. I still feel like I eat a lot of carbs though. What are you eating most of the time? Try to eat more eggs. Not too high in calories and low in carbs. Also, steam a lot of vegetables and have them with a tiny bit of rice, like 1/4 cup, the add some very low cal sauce like spicy mustard.
    I also eat a lot of pre-cooked bacon. Delicious and only 70 cal. for 2 slices! Try not to drink any juice, soda, etc.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I just posted yesterday that I am looking for low carb friends (and weight training friends). you can friend me if you like. Also, I have been doing low carb for the better part of 10 years. I recommend reading the Atkins book. I have also read/done the Blood Type Diet for blood type O, which is gluten free and therefor usually low carb (or lower than normal diets anyway) .. and I have read about the Paleo diet which is very similar to the blood type diet for type O. They probably would all help you. I'd get a book, a lot of my low carb cookbooks were like $3 on a sale rack of Borders.

If you google "low carb" you can probably find some more resources too.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Check out South Beach Phase 2 or Atkins Phase 2. SB, in particular is about eating Low Glycemic Carbs, also, You need to get the Glycemic Index so you can get familiar with the type of Veggies, Fruit and "Refined Carbs" that are Best for You. After a while it will be Easy.
  • hannahfayek
    Options
    yes I've cut juice out of my diet, I couldn't believe how many carbs were in one glass! And thank you I'll try to do the eggs and steamed veggies, it's just a lot to do, I'm just recently diagnosed with it. Thanks so much!
  • tpatter
    tpatter Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I too would be interested in getting a copy of the diet. I was diagnosed as insulin resistance a couple of years ago and as long as I watched my carbs and made sure they were good carbs I didn't have any problems. It's overwhelming at first, but managable.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I usually stay below 200g of carbs. Feel free to look at my diary.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Check out Primal Blueprint & the Paleo diet. Both are very helpful in learning to lead a LC lifestyle and eat all natural, whole foods, the way God intended them to be enjoyed!
  • Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I try to eat around 120 - 130 grams of carbs...most of my carbs come from oatmeal, fruit, and veggies...feel free to check out my diary...also feel free to add me as a friend.
  • irdietinfo
    Options
    I'm insulin resistant too - it's very tough when you look at alllll the things you have to give up. But trust me, it gets easier! Eating protein fills you up, especially when you drink plenty of water. You'll find you're not hungry and you don't get the cravings - that happened very quickly for me and it made a huge difference. Your tastes will gradually change too, just stick with it :)

I like to have a Thai curry and you can still have that but don't have the rice - instead have it served over some extra steamed veggies - you will barely notice the difference and it's still delicious!

You learn to look at food labels carefully and you'll soon find out the bad guys! There are lots of low-carb cookbooks and recipes out there too if you get bored.
  • Sutton002
    Sutton002 Posts: 24
    Options
    I eat high fiber foods (I try to keep a higher fiber and protien diet and it has been pretty easy for me. I have a public diary as well) There is a book I learned from called the insullin resistance diet it is amazing and has reciepies and fast food and explains it all in great detail. I lost 80 pounds using it! It teaches you to eat carbs and protien and it burns fat! Great book and education! It is hard for me to eat 1200 calories a day now....I use to eat close to 4000 a day! Add me if you want and I would love to help you!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Hey could I see a copy too????
  • vannie18
    vannie18 Posts: 55
    Options
    me too pleaseee!!!! I have PCOS. My e-mail is mhernandez121879@att.net. Thanks!!!!!