How does marinating chicken affect the calories?

Options
Cella30
Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
If I marinated chicken breasts in Italian dressing (or any type of marinate really), how does it affect the calories? Wouldn't it soak up some of the dressing? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just want to make sure I'm logging it right. :wink:

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It does, but not a lot.

You can weigh the marinade before putting it on the chicken and then weigh what remains after marinating. The difference between those two numbers would be the amount that's now in the chicken.
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    It does, but not a lot.

You can weigh the marinade before putting it on the chicken and then weigh what remains after marinating. The difference between those two numbers would be the amount that's now in the chicken.

true, but the chicken isn't going to suck up all the marinade. plus when it cooks, some of that liquid will be drained out. I guess just give it a good guesstimate?
  • worm5996
    worm5996 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Use a nice balsamic vinegar as a marinade. No calories, no fat!
  • cthomps
    cthomps Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I always wondered this too. I usually just add 50 calories to it to be safe and hope I am guessing high.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I usually add a tablespoon worth of the marinade to my food log just to be on the safe side. Not much difference on the calories, but boyyyy can the sodium add up!