going out

Options
I associate going out with food, for example going into town with mcdonalds ect. I would love to be able to go out and not have food on the brain the whole time im out. Id love to be able to go out and grab a sandwich if and when im hungry, not just eat because im out for the sakes of it. have you any tips on how to just go out and not have food brain!!!! xxx

Replies

• Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    Go somewhere where you aren't able to freely eat I suppose. Doing something active. Also eat a meal before you go out. Pack some snacks in your purse.
  • xxhannahmburkexx
    Options
    thanks hun thats a fantastic idea :D im out today so will definately try that. even though I dont think a banana would fit in my purse hehe x
  • PA21
    PA21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I plan most meals a week in advance, so I know if we have a social outing or something, I know that that will be one of my "pleasure meals" and I'm not going to make myself feel bad about it! So if you can plan and know that you are going to be out and about, instead of stressing yourself out, or being the "stressed out dieting friend who is not very fun to be around" just relax, have a nice meal and enjoy yourself. For instance, if I know I'm going out with my friends and we go to an Italian place (my downfall- I flippin' love pasta) this is what I order: a soft drink at the beginning (when everyone is getting cocktails) like sprite 0 or coke light, then a salad for the table as a starter (so everyone has some and I don't feel weird), I have 1 or 2 glasses of wine with supper, which is whatever pasta dish I want, and I just try to eat all the protein in the pasta dish and leave most of the pasta in the plate. If I have to have dessert, I try to split it with someone or else I just have cappuccino. And viola! I know that it's one of my 2 meals a week that I can eat whatever I want and it's still not that bad. If your choice is something like mcdonalds, order a happy meal. I say the more you stress about it, the more likely you are to binge so just relax! This is advice from my dietitian by the way! I had a lot of trouble with it, but she was totally right. =)
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    I do the same thing. Whenever me and my boyfriend go out to do something, we ALWAYS eat. We will have lunch/dinner, then we'll go to the movies and get a huge soda, popcorn, and candy. We don't HAVE to eat, but for some reason it's something we JUST do together, just because. Plus, it's super expensive!!

I would say look up your options ahead of time; look up restaurant nutrition and make notes of where you'd like to eat. Make sure it's a place with healthy options. Or get an app on your phone if you want to look while you're on the run. You CAN still go out, but instead of getting mcdonald's, go to mcallister's and get a grilled chicken salad or a great sandwich. Also, bring a water bottle and keep drinking and refilling!

Plus, it's not "bad" to have treat days, especially if you have been good all week or plan to exercise later that day. So indulge yourself a little bit but don't overdo it.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Keep healthy snacks in the car. (I like to throw in a bag of nuts or a granola bar) That way if I am starving, I can have a snack and it's not so tempting to get anything on the go.
  • xxhannahmburkexx
    Options
    thanks all. the planning my weekly outings and food recording sounds like a great idea :D i will defo give that a go x
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    bring a water bottle... sip sip sip, or I chew a lot of gum. if I have some kind of flavor in my mouth I'm less apt to snack/eat/etc.
  • xxhannahmburkexx
    Options
    i quit smoking chewing gum so maybe it should work for this :)