Liquid, yet healthy and nutritious?

Options
I have lost my voice and my throat hurts so bad right now I can't eat solids. I need to stay on track, but I am all out of ideas on what I could possibly make myself. Advice?

That leads me into another question. Should I be too concerned about logging and counting when I'm this sick? Or should I focus on eating what feels right and doesn't cause pain?

Replies

• kwilli731
    kwilli731 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I say go for protein smoothies. I had strep a couple months ago, and they were a lifesaver. You can make them taste like ice cream, which satisfies the "I'm sick let me eat what I want" monster, but isn't a complete calorie vacuum.

Hope you feel better!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have lost my voice and my throat hurts so bad right now I can't eat solids. I need to stay on track, but I am all out of ideas on what I could possibly make myself. Advice?

That leads me into another question. Should I be too concerned about logging and counting when I'm this sick? Or should I focus on eating what feels right and doesn't cause pain?

Focus on getting your body better. It's already under stress from being sick. You're just adding to it with worry. Protein smoothies and nutrition shakes will work (maybe some Ensure?).
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Along with the protein shakes if you can get your hands on some chewable vitamins that would probably be beneficial. :-)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would wait until your feeling better. If you have a sore throat you should not have anything with milk. Chicken Broth!
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you are on a liquid diet make sure that you are using a good quality meal replacement shake so that you are still getting the nutrients that you need. As far as logging I personally would still do it but not worry too much about staying under or at a calorie deficit, just stay around my maintinence calories.
    My two cents......
  • Kytana
    Kytana Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Boost drinks - they come in chocolate, vanilla and strawberry, and have a high protein option as well. Hope you're feeling better soon!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Smoothies and pureed soup.
  • dyerdl17
    dyerdl17 Posts: 9
    Options
    Lindsey,

I urge you to go to the DR cuz you have had the soreness for a while now from what I can recall... On a side note. I might have mono so that is why I am saying go get seen because a sore throat is one of the symptoms. I've felt like crap the last two weeks and sleeping a ton. I'm not sure if you are carrying it and I got it from you or if I got it from work since I work at a DR's office. Text me if you want!

Denise
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options

My latest and greatest addition to my daily caloric intake is a green smoothie...

put all these faw fruits and veggies in a blender, obviously you'll need to chop some of it up.

1/2 c. broccoli
    1 c. spinach
    2 swiss chard leaves (stalks removed) you can use any green you'd like ex: mustard greens, turnip, beet
    5 strawberries
    1 banana
    1 tsp. flax meal

Add veggies first and 2-3 cups of water so they're really blending well. Add all the fruit and blend on high til it's nice and smooth. This will keep you regular, almost knock out your daily serving of fruits and veggies, and it's oh so delicious. I'm drinking 2 quarts a day and vary the fruits and greens to keep my palate satisfied!
  • nurseaim
    nurseaim Posts: 146
    Options
    Progresso makes some low fat, low sodium chicken soup. It's yummy too and when hot will feel wonderful on your sore throat. Also if you crave mashed potatoes like I do when ill, you can always make pseudo mashed potatoes...aka mashed cauliflower. YUM! Hot tea is also very soothing on a sore throat...use splenda instead of honey to make it sweet.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    You could make a nice big batch of lentil or split pea soup. with veggies Puree as much as you need to, you can still get the fiber, protein, and veggies down. I hope you feel better soon!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I would wait until your feeling better. If you have a sore throat you should not have anything with milk.

Why is that? Is there something in the milk which makes things worse? Lactic acid/lactose perhaps? Never heard of this before.