Low Sodium Foods

Options
I am trying to figure out what foods I should be eating in order to keep my sodium levels low. Wondering if anyone has good recipes, ideas, or advice about which foods you normally eat that keep your sodium totals below your daily allowance?

Replies

• missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    I have a horrible issue with this. My biggest thing is that i eat a lot of processed foods. like frozen dinners, deli meats, etc. i have noticed when I cook the food myself i can stay under the calorie goal. I switched from canned goods to frozen veggies which helps drastically, and instead of the deli ham I use cooked chicken breast or turkey that I make myslef. I also invested in Mrs. Dash seasoning so I can hold off on the seasoning salt. It's okay, it works.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    as Missbeezy says -avoid processed foods and avoid adding salt to food-use herbs and spices instead :)
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i eat alot of bananas, rits brown sugar & cinnamon crackers, apples, fresh spinach, tomatoes, dannon light & fit yogurts, Jenni-O - Premium Lean White Turkey Burger Pattie ( they only have 100 sodium ) just read labels & tweak your daily food intake to fit what you log ( smaller portions, whatnot ) best of luck:drinker:
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Anything homemade will be lower in sodium. Also fruits and veggies are low. Watch out for canned soups, veggies and cheese... usually pretty high in sodium. Fast foods and restaurant foods are also loaded with sodium... its a cheap way for them to add flavor.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Fresh foods. Find out wich ones you enjoy, and eat those. You can also look for low sodium on the label, but homemade is much better.

If you are not a cook, snack on as much produce and nuts as you can. Make sure when you buy chicken that it has not been enjected with broth. Some fresh chicken is, but some is only enjected with water.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I'm always pretty low on my sodium. I eat whole grain breads, brown rice, quinoa, beans (canned and rinsed), canned fish, fish fillets, veggies, fruits, eggs.

Not a lot of canned soups - I make my own. Not a lot of sauces (I'm allergic to tomatoes, which helps). I stay away from restaurants for the most part. My sodium mostly comes from crackers, miso, canned foods, and soy sauce. Just be aware of how much sodium is in the stuff you eat, and then see what brands or items, you can cut back on, or eliminate.
  • theflowmaster
    theflowmaster Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas and help!!