I envy the ppl trying to lose weight

Options
dswift88
dswift88 Posts: 10 Member
My situation is just the opposite. At 5' 10" and 137ish pounds up from 130 pounds a few months ago, I'm at the heaviest I've ever been in my life and I'm still thin as a rail.

About a week ago I decided I'm tired of being known as the skinny guy at work so I got serious about my weight gain efforts and I'm now consuming about 4500 calories per day and I've started a 3 day per week resistance training program. It's time for me to get buff!

I know there are some people out there who think I have it easy because my body just naturally burns calories without trying. But that also means it's that much harder to pack on muscle. I'm of the opinion that it's harder to gain weight as an ectomorph than it is to lose weight as an endomorph. But that's just me. What do you think?

Replies

• katiri732
    katiri732 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Have you tried talking to a nutritionist? Have you talked to a doctor about your concerns? I worry what a 4500 calorie a day diet could do for you in the long run. While I understand your concerns please be very careful of WHAT you eat to pack on the pounds. A diet that is higher in sodium and saturated fat plus cholesterol could have a very adverse effect on your overall health. Perhaps working with a trainer at a gym would help.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Oh no I think a lot of us know that gaining weight especially lean muscle mass can be a task. Even though I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum my goal is to gain lean muscle. Its going to be a task for me as well but I'm up for the challenge.

There are other people on here that have the same goals as you so hopefully they will be in touch.

Best of luck to you in your journey.
  • nikkigiesige
    Options
    My husband is the same way...at most he weighs 130 at 27 and that is probably the most he has or ever will weigh. He used to get down on himself a lot when he was trying to buffen up by eating a lot drinking shakes and lifting...but nothing worked. He eventually gave up...so hopefully things go better for you!
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    wow im so jealouse, i'd love to be able to just eat and eat and not really put on weight. (i mean size).
    My fiance suffers from the same problem as you...
    All you can really do is eat less healthy...

And hope the fat, in the fatty foods sticks..
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is harder to gain weight than lose, you just haven't experienced how hard the other side is! I find weight loss nigh on impossible, as I put on muscle very fast. It's taken 6 months of extreme working out and diet to lose 9lbs so far, though I look like an athlete.

I do appreciate it is hard, though. I know a few people like you and well, there's nothing wrong with being the skinny guy. I happen to like skinny guys.
  • dante402
    dante402 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm almost in the same boat, except for different reasons. I've been ordered to not lose anymore weight because I'm fighting a brain tumor and undergoing chemotherapy for it. So I'm trying to gain a little bit of weight with the overall effect being no weight gain. The hard part though is eating when your nauseous or when you have zero appetite.

I don't envy people trying to lose weight though because there is a myriad of health problems that they might be trying to avoid etc.

Best of luck to you though.
  • dswift88
    Options
    Have you tried talking to a nutritionist? Have you talked to a doctor about your concerns? I worry what a 4500 calorie a day diet could do for you in the long run. While I understand your concerns please be very careful of WHAT you eat to pack on the pounds. A diet that is higher in sodium and saturated fat plus cholesterol could have a very adverse effect on your overall health. Perhaps working with a trainer at a gym would help.

I have noticed that keeping the sodium down is going to be something I need to work on. Interestingly enough though, I have completely stopped drinking soda and started drinking more water. Also, I've cut way back on fast food.
  • janski2
    janski2 Posts: 70
    Options
    I have been on both sides of this. I am 5'10" and weighed 115 when I graduated from school. I would eat 3500 calories every day and not gain weight. Now I am 62 years old and have to watch my weight. I didn't gain any weight until I had my third child and we lived right by a Burger King and I craved cheeseburgers. I weighed 150# when I had her. Whatever you eat add sauces or gravies. Pork and beans have 80 calories per 1/3 cup. I used to eat whole cans of them. I weigh 165# now and don't want to get any lower because I feel thin. Overweight people just don't understand. Good luck.
  • JeanK56
    JeanK56 Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm almost in the same boat, except for different reasons. I've been ordered to not lose anymore weight because I'm fighting a brain tumor and undergoing chemotherapy for it. So I'm trying to gain a little bit of weight with the overall effect being no weight gain. The hard part though is eating when your nauseous or when you have zero appetite.

I don't envy people trying to lose weight though because there is a myriad of health problems that they might be trying to avoid etc.

Best of luck to you though.
    I hope you win that battle against your brain tumor!
  • katiri732
    katiri732 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you try to use frozen meals as a part of that plan they are typically very high in sodium.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk to a nutrionist first!

No judgement but 4500 calories seems like A LOT to consume a day. I also worry that it would had adverse effects gaining that kind of weight quickly.

To "bulk up", you really need to increase your PROTEIN intake, not necessarily your calories. Go to GNC and get a good whey protein and drink protein shakes in between meals.

Good luck!
  • dswift88
    Options

No judgement but 4500 calories seems like A LOT to consume a day. I also worry that it would had adverse effects gaining that kind of weight quickly.

To "bulk up", you really need to increase your PROTEIN intake, not necessarily your calories. Go to GNC and get a good whey protein and drink protein shakes in between meals.

Good luck!

More muscle = more weight. How can I expect to put on weight without invariably increasing my caloric intake? Also 4500 calories is a lot to somebody with a slow metabolism and sedentary lifestyle, but to someone like me who is very active at work and has the metabolism of a hummingbird, I find it to be just enough.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My situation is just the opposite. At 5' 10" and 137ish pounds up from 130 pounds a few months ago, I'm at the heaviest I've ever been in my life and I'm still thin as a rail.

About a week ago I decided I'm tired of being known as the skinny guy at work so I got serious about my weight gain efforts and I'm now consuming about 4500 calories per day and I've started a 3 day per week resistance training program. It's time for me to get buff!

I know there are some people out there who think I have it easy because my body just naturally burns calories without trying. But that also means it's that much harder to pack on muscle. I'm of the opinion that it's harder to gain weight as an ectomorph than it is to lose weight as an endomorph. But that's just me. What do you think?

I was just like you size-wise at your age. Now I am 43 and was 350lbs at my heaviest. Bumping your calories up is great if your are strength training with a goal of building more muscle. If you ever stop working out make sure you drop your calorie intake too though. You get used to a certain eating lifestyle and tend to forget to adjust down of your exercise goes down. Also, people here trying to lose weight are not to be envied, because we are trying to lose FAT, not something anyone should want or envy. For you I would check into the weight gain supplements at places like Super Supplements or GNC. It might help you gain muscle a bit faster. Also keep in mind that if you are trying to create bulk that cardio like distance running will work against you. Shorter cardio and longer strength training is what you want.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I feel ya brother. It can be tough. One over looked aspect of gaining mass is sleep. Make sure you recover between workouts, and stay positive.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

Good luck!

More muscle = more weight. How can I expect to put on weight without invariably increasing my caloric intake? Also 4500 calories is a lot to somebody with a slow metabolism and sedentary lifestyle, but to someone like me who is very active at work and has the metabolism of a hummingbird, I find it to be just enough.

I agree. Also look into a protein shake to get in some of those extra calories without the sodium.
  • gtm124
    gtm124 Posts: 179
    Options

I have noticed that keeping the sodium down is going to be something I need to work on. Interestingly enough though, I have completely stopped drinking soda and started drinking more water. Also, I've cut way back on fast food.

Drinking water and stop drinking the sugary drinks is a good start. I would check to see what Michael Phelps eats. He has to eat a lot because of his swimming burns tons of calories. I am sure that would give you an indication of how to build mass without eating harmful foods just for calorie sake.