Allergic to tree nuts

Options
Can anyone suggest a high protein snack that 1. doesn't contain tree nuts and 2. can be kept in my desk drawer? I can eat peanuts, but they have so many calories in them, that I'm trying to avoid them.

Replies

• Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi there! i have a son who is highly allergic to Peanuts but we do not have Tree Nuts in the house or eat them either because of potential cross contamination.

We do tons of sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Both have nice amount of protein and good fats. I throw them in everything: salads, granolas, etc. I also have Greek Yogurt, a wonderful source of protein. if you get plain, you can sweeten it lightly yourself ( I use a tiny amount of either honey or maple syrup) and then I put maybe a 1/8 cup of sunflower seeds on top. YUM!

I know Greek Yogurt can't be kept in a desk drawer but the seeds can be. Also, my favorite seed crackers, all from nut free facilities are Dr Kracker and Mary's Gone Crackers. The crackers can be found at the grocery stores natural sections. I get no-nut facility sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds from peanutfreeplanet.com.
  • JJtexasgirl
    JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions - thank you! I'm heading to the store today and am going to try Greek yogurt (for the 1st time!)
  • holly0623
    holly0623 Posts: 66
    Options
    Beef jerkey is hign in protein and low cal! But the sodium can be a little high..