EATING MY EMOTIONS

Options
WELL, I HAVE BEEN HAVING A HARD COUPLE OF DAYS.. LOTS OF EMOTIONS FLOWING AND I WANT TO DO IT EAT.. I HAVE HELD BACK, WHICH I AM PROUD OF ! I GUESS FOOD HAS ALWAYS BEEN COMFORT.. IS THERE A WAY TO STOP ME FROM DEPENDING ON FOOD?

LOST BUT STILL ON TRACK! :noway:
NINA

103708.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Journal

Replies

• neiner
    neiner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    WELL, I HAVE BEEN HAVING A HARD COUPLE OF DAYS.. LOTS OF EMOTIONS FLOWING AND I WANT TO DO IT EAT.. I HAVE HELD BACK, WHICH I AM PROUD OF ! I GUESS FOOD HAS ALWAYS BEEN COMFORT.. IS THERE A WAY TO STOP ME FROM DEPENDING ON FOOD?

LOST BUT STILL ON TRACK! :noway:
    NINA

103708.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Journal
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options
    WALK!!! When my emotions get the better of me and I start feeling down and I start to reach for those chips, I stop get up and go for a walk. If I'm walking near stores I leave ALL of my money at home so that I'm not tempted to go and buy that pint of ice cream.

When I walk I usually ask myself these questions, what's bothering me and what are my options. Then when I narrow it down, I stick with the more hopeful options strive towards it, and let fate have its way and hang in there. After I feel better about myself I turn around and go home.

Beating up a pillow or taking a really warm long shower helps as well when your under a lot of stress. You just have to find something to be hopeful for and be thankful for what you have.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The key is to find something you love more than eating to comfort you! For me, it's taking a walk, singing in the shower (or at a karaoke bar), and thinking about someone I care about. :flowerforyou:
  • mspaulina
    mspaulina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What helps me is to call a friend. I share what is bothering me and how I feel like turning to food. my friends understand my food/weight problems. This is followed by a hug, or a walk with a friend. Do anything that does not involve food. If you do the emotional eating you'll feel doubly worse later.
    Good wishes to you.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater...and a bored eater...and an angry eater...and every other kind of eater you can imagine...so unfortunately I don't have any great tips other than to stock your cupboards and fridge with things that you can eat a lot of without having a ton of calories...like carrot sticks, mini animal crackers, popcorn...of course it's ultimately healthier to get to the root of why you turn to food when you're feeling a certain way, but if it helps to make healthier choices when you feel emotional, that's a step in the right direction. Gum is also another great option...when I'm at a restaurant and want to keep eating but know I should stop, I chew gum and that signals to my brain that the meal is over...
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Neiner-- from my experience, the farther I have gotten away from the emotional eating and have gotten this issue under some control, the more empowered I am by it to where it becomes a comfort in and of itself.

When all else around me is chaos and I want to run and hide, I know that I'm gonna measure my food, count my calories, do my exercise-- because it's good for me--

It took a while to get there, but I did-- and you will too-- hang in there, sweetie!!
  • neiner
    neiner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help. :flowerforyou: