80lbs target loss in a year

Options
Hey all,

Never had to worry much about my weight through my teens and then twenties I pretty much ate whatever I wanted. The last 6 or 7 years I've been getting steadily heavier- 'middle age spread' ha.

So yeah I've got the willpower I reckon, I stopped smoking 10 weeks ago which I feel much better for but did start to pile on some weight. I started at 260 lbs and I'm aiming for 180lbs. The BMI thing will tell me that I'm still a tad over at 180lbs but to be honest I dont take that too seriously. Ive always had a big build very muscular and I work outdoors, Ill be way happy if I achieve that and maintain it.

I'm giving myself a year but if I manage to do it a little quicker then it's all good. I've lost a staggering 9lbs this first week , but I'm thinking that is probably just fluid loss as I'm drinking an obscene amount of water.

Anyway, my name's Matt and please feel free to add me on the friends thing, its currently empty! None of my real life buddies are on a weight loss program (yet) haha.

Good luck to anyone else just starting out :)

Replies

• blaseyly
    blaseyly Posts: 26
    Options
    Welcome!
  • Rainbow_Brite86
    Options
    Welcome :D
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    welcome---you can do it--I lost 94 in 7 months!
  • Hmf414
    Hmf414 Posts: 30
    Options
    My BMI tells me that I should weigh 115. But honestly I don't think I agree entirely with it either. I too have a fairly large build. I'm aiming for 125. Good luck & welcome!
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Hi - you will love this place. And 80 pounds in a year sounds very realistic and attainable-but if it happens sooner or or slower- always keep going no matter what - best of luck to you!
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Welcome Matt. I am in the same boat with you in that I want to lose 100 pounds by my 45th birthday which is in March 2012. It isn't going to be easy, but we can do it.
  • kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent!
    And don't worry too much about your BMI, focus more on feeling good and feeling good about yourself! BMI calculations are an estimate at best, so if you really want a good ruler to measure yourself by, get regular body fat % readings ... or just stand naked in front of a mirror. Either way, you'll be a lot more motivated to lose the weight, and know a whole lot better when you are where you want to be!
  • pokeyranch
    pokeyranch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much the same goal starting from the same place as you. I think your being very realistic. so far in 50 days or so I have lost 18 pounds myself, hit a rocky road here after starting a new job not with the eating but with getting out and exercise. I need to get back with that program here, I was out today for 30 min. walk, I lost a pound last week with out a lot of exercise and I lowed my goal back to what the computer originally set up for me. Good luck in your endeavor.
    Pokey ranch.:smile:
  • XBabigrl72
    Options
    You can do it, and you came to the right place too. There are so many great people on here that are so supportive. Good Luck on your weight loss.
  • lizbestus
    lizbestus Posts: 18
    Options
    WELCOME!!!!!!