soooo frustrating!

Options
Okay so I've been on this thing for four weeks...I lost 7 lbs before joining. For the first 2 weeks I didn't eat my exercise calories and stayed around 1100 calories...NO weight loss. For the second two weeks after asking for advice from you guys and trainer at the gym I was told to EAT my exercise calories...okee dokee...and 10 days later you guessed it...NO weight loss. Awesome...I'm thrilled (note sarcasm) I finally had a half cup of ice cream last night becasue after a month of eating the healthiest I've ever eaten and not losing any weight I'm starting to go a bit crazy.

I am sooooooo tempted to cut my calories in half...it's worked for me before...I mean cmon, I'm going on 6 weeks no weight loss...this is not a "plateau" and no, according to my clothes, my measurements, and the body fat calculator at gym I am not just turning to muscle. What the hell is wrong with me? My trainer says I need a metabolism transplant...ha very funny.

Replies

• kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Same thing here....very frustruating!!!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I understand tha frustration, but keep in mind that just cutting your calories in half is not a healthy way to lose weight (esp if you are only at 1100 right now ... that would only be 550 and you mention a trainer, so you are doing some sort of exercising). You didn't mention what type or frequency of exercise you are doing other than working with a trainer though??? What kind, frequency and intensity level are your workouts?
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    If you only have a little to lose it is entirely possible that everything is right. I don't think you should cut your calories. Instead, try upping your protien, fiber and water and cutting back some on carbs and see if that'll shake things up...or if you're already low-carb, try upping them for a few days to see if throwing some fuel on the fire will get it going.
  • MsScorpio67
    MsScorpio67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration. I'm going through the same thing and I'm so disgusted. I'm not going to give up cause I can see progress in my indurance, but I'm not getting on the scale anymore. It ruins my whole day. Like it did this morning. So your not alone, unfortunately, lololol.
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    Keep at it and don't give up. Getting on a proper diet and exercise plan is a life change. Don't get frustrated because you are not seeing 'quick' results. Getting your body in shape can take months, not weeks. It sounds like you are on the right path to succeed and you -will- get there! Stop weighing yourself if it is mentally getting to you.

Good luck!
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    You have to be careful not to put your body into a "starvation" mode with drastic calorie cutting. If you do you are unlikely to lose the weight as your body will try to keep hold of anything that goes into your system.

As mentioned previously, try increasing protein, fibre and water intake this should all fill you up nicely. Eat carbs (within your daily limit) but eat them before 2pm. This way you give yourself a nice long gap for them to be digested and used up before going to bed.

Also try to eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3 large ones. Eat every couple of hours to keep your metabolism running in overdrive, and possibly even do weights before cardio sessions at the gym to burn through the glycogen reserves first then attack carbs and fat reserves with the cardio at the end of your session.

Keep in mind that all of these suggestions are things that I have found to work for me to certain extents. Without knowing your diet, workout routine etc it is difficult to actually give more tailored advice. But also remember that everyone is different so if one thing works for one person it may not work for someone else.
    Try to keep your body guessing, mix up your workouts and your diet.

Just keep your diet clean, and keep working hard. Talk with your trainer and hopefully things should fall into place :)
  • krisannthemum
    Options
    Don't know what to tell you besides exactly what I did, and I also have a dead metabolism and naturally very low blood pressure (and diabetes on both sides of the family). No matter what I exercised or did not exercise, I ate 1300-1400 calories. To the letter. Every single day, no questions asked. Because I have 2 jobs that allow me to have my days open and clear, I was at the gym 5-6 days a week. 1 or 2 days I would swim for no less than an hour. the rest of the time I would do 30-60 minutes of cardio (60 minutes broken up with a couple hours break to go home or something in between) every single time. I'd walk every chance I got. I'd hike when I could. I walked to grocery store. I walked to the gym. Both of my jobs require a lot of physical effort and moving and walking and lifting. I have to go up 3 flights of stairs to get to my apt. I started jogging them every time I had to use them. I was going to Core classes 2 times a week or Zumba to mix it up, and I do maybe 20minutes of calisthenics in my apt a couple nights a week to build muscle. I DO NOT sit around my apt ever. I get way too bored and start snacking cuz there's nothing else to do. The more you stress out about the weight the loss the more you are sabotaging yourself. I lost 22lbs from Jan 15th-April 15th, which is 12 weeks. That works out to just under 2lbs/week, without actually making that my goal (my calories were all set for 1lb/week weight loss). It didn't come off at a perfectly uniform rate of 1.8lbs per week. I'd get frustrated after weighing myself every day for 4 days with no weight loss, keep sticking to my routine, and a week later I'd lost 5lbs. Don't make it an obsession or its completely counterproductive. Its a lifestyle change, it doesn't happen overnight. Be grateful you have the money for a personal trainer and take as much advice from them as you can! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to consult a doctor and not a trainer. It may a thyroid problem. But whatever the problem is a good doctor is your best bet to find a solution.
  • Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much - mabey see a Dr. to ease your doubts.
  • adriaarnett
    Options
    I was just in your shoes. I had joined a gym and was working out about an hour 3-4 days a week with a mix of cardio and weights and I was eating healthy and the scale didn't budge for over a month. I kept it up though and finally I lost two pounds in two days just this week. It may just take some of us longer to get started but don't give up!
  • Xenocat
    Xenocat Posts: 13
    Options
    I can't remember the exact thread it was in, but I read somewhere on one of the stickied threads on this board that it can take up to 8 weeks to restart a faltering metabolism. Some weight gain is even expected prior to the loss... Anybody have the link to that metabolism thread? Maybe thats the case here.
  • kjlamphere
    Options
    Too funny...right after i wrote this I went to the gym and I was down a lb and a half...not a lot but at least it was something! I work out doing cardio at gym about 4 days a week plus strength training 2 x a week and I lead a very active lifestyle in general. I've been working out and trying to lose weight for about 3 months now but have really been vigilant the last 30 days. I eat a LOT of protein (around 100 g a day sometimes more) and I keep my carbs down. I'm just feeling very frustrated because I feel like I'm following everyone's advice to the letter and doing exactly what I'm told and my weight is barely budging (and my clothes aren't any looser either). It's just disheartening. But maybe it's just going to take a while for my metabolism to jump start itself. I dont' think I ate enough nutritious food before all this and maybe it's just super sluggish. I'm 150 lbs and 5'4 and I just want to drop 10 lbs....but I'm pretty active and I never really ate all that much...you'd think i'd be skinny but maybe it's because of what I ate and how little of the good stuff I ate that my body never reallly wanted to let go of some of this fat. And I'm going to start weighing myself only at my personal trainer session...which will be every other week starting next thursday. It does feel good to work out so I'm going to try and just focus on that.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    OMG..............I just read this and I am EXACTLY like you!!!! Like...exactly....wanna loose 10-15 lbs, went from not eating too much (once a day) to eating how MFP tells me (seems like I eat a lot more than I did) and NUTHIN. Im begining to get testy about it....lol