Zumba for weight loss???

Options
Hello everyone!! I'm joining my local YMCA this weekend and they offer Zumba! Does Zumba help with weight loss? I really don't want to waste my time with it if it won't help with my weight loss goals.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• nubiansis7777
    Options
    Zumba is so much fun and you won't ever feel like you are working out. I lost a lot of weight by going to Zumba 3 times a week and of course eating properly.. Have fun! Salsa Back!
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    It can burn hundreds of calories in an hour. I burn close to 500 just starting. It's fun. You'll love it!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    im not sure about the classes, but i bought the whole package, 6 programs and shakey weights and ive lost 8 pounds and 2 jean sizes in a month and a half. may not seem like a lot but i only needed to lose 10 pounds. i absolutely love it and do it every day.
  • Purpleshade13
    Options
    ZUMBA IS THE BEST!!! You feel good about yourself during and afterwards. It's a great workout (as much 650 calories an hour) and it's fun. It works on all the key parts where weight loss is important, and, as if I can't say it enough, IT'S FUN!!! Go for it, you won't regret it.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I burn more calories with Zumba than anything else I do fitness-wise (except x-country skiing in the winter). :)

My teacher is awesome and I'm 3 weeks in!! :)
  • aferbet
    aferbet Posts: 124
    Options
    totally do it!!! you will love it!
  • nkenga
    nkenga Posts: 46
    Options
    If you like to dance, you will LOVE Zumba! I've only taken three classes, but it is SO much fun. ANd it is DEFINITELY a workout! I don't burn as many calories as I could because I usually do a lower-impact version, but YES, you WILL burn calories!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Zumba IS a great workout & sooo much fun!!!!!
    You won't even realize you are working out ;)
    Give it a try.....I bet you'll love it like the rest of us =)
    Wear comfy clothes (sports bra) & take a water bottle along
    Let us know what ya think...
    Enjoy yourself :bigsmile:
  • operadiva222
    Options
    Zumba is amazing. I havedvds also, but love doing it 'live' because the workouts are always changing and you have the added fun of others in the class shakin' their weight off too! Enjoy - I'm heading to the gym tonight for a class and am looking forward to it so much!
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    I am down 20 pounds in 8 weeks and zumba is a very important part of my workout routine.
  • jilaneeaf
    jilaneeaf Posts: 38
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies!!! I can't wait to start. I'm planning on trying it 3 times a week! I'll let you know how it goes!!!
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    To be honest I'd say it depends on how fit you are to start with, how much weight you have to lose and how used to dance you are. It also depends on the instructor and the other people in the class.

Personally, I don't find it a work out and got bored. But maybe the fact that I was bored stopped me working as hard as I could and therefore meant it wasn't much of a workout.

Have you heard of Body Jam? Still not intense but more varied and faster paced than Zumba.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies!!! I can't wait to start. I'm planning on trying it 3 times a week! I'll let you know how it goes!!!

Just go in with an attitude of fun and fitness. The steps take a little while to learn, so give yourself a chance to laugh at yourself for a while. It is so much fun! Even if you don't dance (like I was) you'll totally love it. The music is great!
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Zumba is so much fun! For me, it's easier than traditional exercise because it doesn't seem like exercise at all. You burn the calories, but in a way that isn't as mindless as jogging. I have a blast with it.
  • CarolAnnW69
    CarolAnnW69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Jill,
    I just want you to know that yes Zumba for weight loss is definitely worth your time. When I started on my journey of weight loss, I joined Curves to just start working out. About a week into my membership they began offering Zumba. I am fully convinced that the weight I have lost is highly correlated to that work out I do 3 times a week. I started in mid-January with just working out the Curves machines and then added Zumba. In 2 months I lost 9 lbs. Then when I found my fitness pal on my phone and began counting my calories, I continued to see results. I have now lost 22 lbs as of last week. Zumba is a great cardio workout for your heart and it does amazing toning. I love it! I have so much fun while working out and the calories you burn are insane! Zumba is NOT listed on My Fitness pal so I log it as High impact aerobics (which it is). So go have fun and feel the burn! You'll be glad you did it! Happy weight loss.
    Carol Ann
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Just keep moving and really get into it. You get out of it what you put in. If you go hard whether you have the steps down or not you will shed a lot of calories and inches. If you go easy then its less of an impact which of course is less calories.

The instructor makes a difference also. Some people have express that their instructors weren't good. My instructor is the best and she is super hyper during the class. I love it. She keeps me pumped.

Enjoy.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Zumba is NOT listed on My Fitness pal so I log it as High impact aerobics (which it is).

Sorry, but I think she'll end up eating far too many extra calories if it gets logged as high impact aerobics. It may be a reasonable calorie burner but it's a dance class, it's NOT high impact aerobics. It's not even moderate impact aerobics - there's not much to really raise your heart rate (jumping jacks, burpees, squat jumps, high knee runs - those are the moves of high impact aerobics).
    It's a dance class and should be logged as such.

eg, listings from another site:
    Les Mills Body Attack (aka High Impact Aerobics) - 504 calories
    Zumba, Moderate effort - 258 calories
    General Dance - 230 calories.

Those listings are for my height and weight and I'm a petite female so are probably on the low side for many people.
  • jilaneeaf
    jilaneeaf Posts: 38
    Options
    Just keep moving and really get into it. You get out of it what you put in. If you go hard whether you have the steps down or not you will shed a lot of calories and inches. If you go easy then its less of an impact which of course is less calories.

The instructor makes a difference also. Some people have express that their instructors weren't good. My instructor is the best and she is super hyper during the class. I love it. She keeps me pumped.

Enjoy.

Thank you very much!!! You look great by the way! Keep up the good work!!
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i just bought myself the zumba for wii... how do i add it to my exercise please?