I dont get it

Options
I started jogging monday and lasted 20 minutes with the jog/walk intervals. It took forever to be able to get my heart rate down afterwards. Day 2 was Wednesday and lasted around 17 minutes, could get my hear rate down in the 10 minute walk home. Day 3 of it today and I lasted 16 minutes and my heart rate was back to normal in no time. Why is it getting harder to jog, but easier to get a normal HR?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have a heart arrhythmia, Was told a lot of people have it without even knowing. Let your Dr. know the problem your having and see what he or she say's.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I dont have a doctor. But I did see a Cardiologist 2 months ago for something else and my heart is fine aside from PVC (premature ventricular contractions) I have an extra contraction in my heart every once in a while. Other than that my heart is perfectly normal. I even work a heart monitor for 24 hour so they could check everything, did a stress test, and had an echo done on my heart.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    The cardio is improving your heart rate. It is harder to jog because your body is probably fatigued.
  • b00b0084
    Options
    I do the C25K M,W,F and walking or at home cardio T, Th, Sa,Su. There are days where its only like a 20 minute walk or something so I do get rest. Maybe I am pushing my body too hard. I just know that I only have 4 1/2 months to get into shape for Warrior Dash in September and I dont want to risk not being able to do it.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    The PVC will do it. If you have a follow up with the Cardiologist let him know or just call and talk to his nurse and she will tell you what you can do. The PVC has nothing to do with the Plumbing of the heart it has to do with the Electrical part. Exercising will not improve that part.
  • b00b0084
    Options
    I havent had a PVC flair up at all since I started working out, and last year I was going to the gym 5 days a week, working with a personal trainer once and week, and the PVC only gave me a hard time when I was not active.
  • Eithr
    Eithr Posts: 7
    Options
    Running can be aggressive at strengthening your heart and helping your body to regulate its use of oxygen, which means that the more you do it the faster you'll recover after a routine. It sounds like you're still in the 'conditioning' phase of becoming a runner. A lot of things can factor in to your first workouts, especially while you're getting your body to that first plateau. The biggest factors are physical ability and mental endurance. Focus heavily on your running form - keep your arms swinging from the shoulder, not from the elbow; arms should swing back and forth, not crossing your chest; you should pick your knees up in rhythm with your arm swings; don't let your upper body lean forward or backward, you shouldn't be stiff, but you should try to keep upright; when starting out it's also a good idea to try to inhale every three steps and exhale every three steps. Stay relaxed. The better your form and the more relaxed you are while running the less energy is wasted, the longer you'll be able to run. Think positive while you're running, too. Mental endurance is a huge factor in having a good run. It's easy to get out there and start thinking negatively and focusing on the discomfort of running. The more positive you are, mentally, the further you can run. And, don't worry about speed when you're first getting going. While working on conditioning, it's most important to focus on how long you are running. Maybe give yourself goals, like run every other day (so 3-4 days a weeks) pic two of those days to do a 15 minute run and one day to do a 20-30 minute run. As you get more comfortable add more time.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about how hard it is for the first few weeks. Since you are just starting out it will be hard and will keep being hard until your body adjusts.

For me, if I have not run in a long time, that takes about three weeks or until I have managed to run around 50 miles.

Just push through the hardness for now and it will become pleasant soon enough.
  • b00b0084
    Options
    Thyou. It was just realu frustrating and making me wonder if I can actually do this!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Thyou. It was just realu frustrating and making me wonder if I can actually do this!
    You can do it. Just remember that the first part is unpleasant for everyone. It gets better. :)