40 days + no weight loss = lesson learned!

Options
Here is the situation...I lost 50 pounds nearly 10 years ago, and I’ve been chasing the last 10 ever since. I became a vegetarian (nearly vegan) last summer and joined MFP in August 2010 mainly to see if I was getting enough protein, calcium and iron and thought I would finally lose those muffin tops. It didn’t happen.

This spring I read a post about someone giving up the scale for lent and decided to try it. Maybe it would make me focus more on tracking everything. I thought I did, yet 40 days later the scale was the same. I stayed below my goal more than 80% of the days, and the rest were still below my BMR. I should have lost weight. I didn’t. Why? I figure there are two possibilities. One is that I am not burning as many calories in my workouts as the website says, the other is that my portions are not exactly accurate.

Here is my plan...

1. I will buy proper measuring spoons and cups and carefully measure all food.

2. I will not track exercise calories unless it is a very intense workout lasting more than 30 minutes, no more tracking bellydance, yoga and walks and bike rides! I will write it in my status each day so I can still see what I’ve done.

3. I will track everything that goes in my mouth! I did some math and figured out that 10 calories error per day would equal 1 pound in a year! So my 10 pounds of non-lost fat is only an error of 100 calories per day!!!

I'll be sure to post again in a few weeks with the results (if any)
best wishes!

Replies

• Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    or your body is in starvation mode and holding onto what you put into your body....
  • traymast
    traymast Posts: 23
    Options
    I stopped losing wieght, I switched my diet more protein less carbs - no sugar, and it jump started things for me :)
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great plan - very well thought-out!

One thing about yoga, though - if you opt for the really vigorous yoga practices (vinyasa, power, ashtanga, bikram), you might consider logging those calories. they're huge calorie-burners and you'll sweat buckets, which counts as cardio, as far as i'm concerned.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    or your body is in starvation mode and holding onto what you put into your body....

Agree. If your goal is 1200 calories and you stayed below your goal 80% (in other words you NETTED below 1200 and for some people this number is higher) of the time then you could be consuming too few calories. And if you didn't eat back what you burned during exercise then your NET was even lower.

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPAdaptation.html

And I hope you are talking about your Maintenance and not your BMR (you get this number under tools). You NEVER want to eat below your BMR. This is what it takes just for your organs and systems to function. Go below this and you can suffer some serious health issues.

The law of unintended consequences

Your body is an amazing feedback system aimed at balance and survival. Humans are at the top of the food chain because they are able to adapt to their environment. Every action produces a reaction. Every change in its environment triggers a survival response. It's important to keep that in mind when you plan your fitness program. If you treat your body as an enemy to be conquered, you'll produce unintended results.

For example, if you severely cut off the supply of food to your body, it will defend itself by slowing down its metabolism to survive starvation. The body will shed muscle mass the same way that you would throw cargo from a plane that was low on fuel, and it will reduce its thyroid activity to conserve energy. The body will also actually defend its fat stores. In anorexia, muscle loss can be so profound that fat as a percentage of body weight actually rises. Extreme carbohydrate restriction also causes muscle loss, dehydration, and slower metabolism, which is why even successful Atkins dieters can have a significant rebound in weight after they stop the diet (don't worry – the advice on this site will prevent that from happening).

As another example, if you put your body under stress through overexertion and lack of sleep, it will respond by slowing down, reducing muscle growth, and increasing your appetite for junk food, carbohydrates and fat. If you feed your body excessive amounts of sugar and quickly digested carbohydrates, and it will shut off its ability to burn fat until those sugars are taken out of the bloodstream.

This website will show you how to work with your body to quickly produce the changes you want. In order to do that, you need to take actions that push your body to adapt – to build strength, burn fat, and increase fitness. You need a training program, not an exercise routine. You need a nutrition plan, not a diet. You need a challenge, not a few good habits you usually try to follow except when you don't.

Setting the right goal

John Dewey once said that a problem well-stated is half-solved. If you want to reach your goal, you have to define it correctly. See, a lot of people say “I want to lose weight.” Well, if losing weight is your goal, go on a no-carb diet. You'll lose a lot of weight – some of it will be fat, a lot of it will be water, and a dangerous amount will be muscle tissue. You'll lose weight quickly, but you'll slow your metabolism and gain fat more quickly once you go off the diet. Trust me on this. I've been there, done that.

The problem is that you've set the wrong goal. If you want to look better, have more energy and enjoy better health, the goal is not simply to “lose weight.” The goal is to improve your fitness level and body composition. That means losing fat, improving your aerobic capacity, training your strength and defending your muscle tissue. You can't do that with a no-carb diet. You will do it using the approach you'll learn on this website. Trust me on this one too. I know what it's like to feel fat, tired and helplessly out of shape. The whole point of this site is to help others avoid that, by sharing lessons that I had to learn the hard way.
  • Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    Options
    I'm with Traymast, reduce your carbs and up the protein, definitely worth a try?
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    dont trust this site for burning calories or even the equipment at the gym, buy a good HRM , best move I made :smile:

good luck
  • marcyjane83
    Options
    eat more! You'll lose. Always eat your exercise calories back. It's hard to wrap your head around it but it works!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainerRobin/view/myth-or-fact-calories-in-versus-calories-out-3500-calories-one-pound-and-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories-62012

Start weight training and use cardio as a supplement. And eat! You are at a healthy weight already. Your body isn't going to let go of that body fat - it will prefer to burn off muscle mass with what you are doing. And this will just slow your metabolism.
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I stopped losing wieght, I switched my diet more protein less carbs - no sugar, and it jump started things for me :)

That works woderful for me too
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I think that's a pretty good plan. The only way to really know for sure, regarding calorie burn is to use a heart rate monitor - not the ones that are part of some exercise equipment, but your own personal one. I usually only put mine on when I am specifically doing my workouts, whatever they are. I think that sometimes when you track everything, you may not be taking into account the "normal calories you burn" just by being alive or having whatever lifestyle it is taht you've selected (sedentary, etc) and sometimes some of the calories we add as extra calories are really part of that already established number. Are you watching your salt intake? Are you drinking plenty of water? You definitely need to track every sincgle thing that goes into your body and exercise calories burned to get accurate information.
  • PDVorisek
    Options
    I was having the same problem. I was working out 5 days a week 2 of those days with a personal trainer. After 4 weeks I had only lost 2 pounds. My trainer suggested this website and a high protein low carb diet for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks we cut out all carbs except for vegetables. On Thursday and Sundays I can have a banana, brown rice and a small sweet potato. My metabolism is now moving and I have lost 8 pounds in 5 weeks. I don't know how old you are but after the age of 40 your metabolism slows way down and you don't burn carbs as fast as when you are younger. Hope this helps.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    great plan:)) good for you and good luck!!! I would also make sure I was getting enough calories if perhaps that's a possibility:)) Take care:))
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    The only way to really know for sure, regarding calorie burn is to use a heart rate monitor - not the ones that are part of some exercise equipment, but your own personal one.

that's a good idea as well:))
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Good plan or maybe just record half your exercise
  • cucoyannie
    Options
    excellent keep us posted but inportnt thing is dont give up
  • webgeek4
    webgeek4 Posts: 4
    Options
    You must make sure you are eating enough food to keep your metabolism going. Just like the person above said, you could be not eating enough and your body is storing what you are eating as fat. You should eat 5 meals a day and hit your target calorie intake.. don't go under. Eating 5 times a day keeps your metabolism burning. You eat a healthy breakfast, a mid morning healthy snack, healthy lunch, mid afternoon snack and a healthy dinner. Make sure if you are working out you eat something high in protein right before... Also, when I work out, I don't take my extra calories. I just track my workouts... And I eat good healthy, filling meals. No rice and a fruit. I eat a meat, a small portion of low carb side item (like a wild grain rice, or organic whole grain pasta) and a veggie. For snacks I eat nuts, fruit, greek yogurt, or a protein bar/shake. I am NOT hungry and 98% of the time I feel satisfied. I still have my junk food cravings, but they aren't too bad. I'm 44 YO too, so I'm at that point where my metabolism is slowing down.

Something that worked for me... a diet called The Metabolic Typing Diet (http://www.amazon.com/Metabolic-Typing-Diet-Customize-Chemistry/dp/0767905644/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303494934&sr=8-1). You take a quiz and it tells you what foods work best for your body. Then you use them as a guideline. When I first started dieting, well we will call it eating healthier, I lost 7lbs the first week. Then after that I lost less than a pound a week for 4 weeks. I changed what I was eating (even though I was eating very healthy before) according to my metabolic type and I've been using 2-3lbs a week and that's with hardly any exercise because I've been bad and not going to the gym like I should. Everyone is different, but this might help.

The most important thing is, eating enough and often so your body doesn't think its starving.

Good luck and hang in there!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If you're staying under your BMR - you will put your body into starvation mode. Your BMR is the bare minimum calories you need in a day just to live - for your organs to function, for you to digest food, to breathe. If you cut your caloric intake so low that you're under that number ALL the time? Well. Your body fears you're never going to feed it and begins to hold onto fat stores. It will start using muscle for fuel and well, weight loss stops (sometimes you'll even see a weight gain as your body struggles against starving).
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    A suggestion... don't spend the $ for cups and spoons, buy a digital (oz/g) scale instead. I did an experiment and measured out a level 1/2 cup of dry oatmeal (what I had been eatting for months) and put it on the scale. I was wayyyy over filling the measuring cup! :noway: It came out to almost 1/4 MORE in weight than it should have (yes the scale was reset to zero with the empty cup prior to weighing). You can seriously over portion using measuring cups and spoons. I have also found that many of the 100 cal packs of almonds I have are UNDER weight! It might just be by an almond or two, but sometimes it is by 5 or 6...and damn it, I am gonna eat everything I have coming! :grumble:
  • webgeek4
    Options
    f
  • webgeek4
    Options

Agree. If your goal is 1200 calories and you stayed below your goal 80% (in other words you NETTED below 1200 and for some people this number is higher) of the time then you could be consuming too few calories. And if you didn't eat back what you burned during exercise then your NET was even lower.

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPAdaptation.html

And I hope you are talking about your Maintenance and not your BMR (you get this number under tools). You NEVER want to eat below your BMR. This is what it takes just for your organs and systems to function. Go below this and you can suffer some serious health issues.

The law of unintended consequences

Your body is an amazing feedback system aimed at balance and survival. Humans are at the top of the food chain because they are able to adapt to their environment. Every action produces a reaction. Every change in its environment triggers a survival response. It's important to keep that in mind when you plan your fitness program. If you treat your body as an enemy to be conquered, you'll produce unintended results.

For example, if you severely cut off the supply of food to your body, it will defend itself by slowing down its metabolism to survive starvation. The body will shed muscle mass the same way that you would throw cargo from a plane that was low on fuel, and it will reduce its thyroid activity to conserve energy. The body will also actually defend its fat stores. In anorexia, muscle loss can be so profound that fat as a percentage of body weight actually rises. Extreme carbohydrate restriction also causes muscle loss, dehydration, and slower metabolism, which is why even successful Atkins dieters can have a significant rebound in weight after they stop the diet (don't worry – the advice on this site will prevent that from happening).

As another example, if you put your body under stress through overexertion and lack of sleep, it will respond by slowing down, reducing muscle growth, and increasing your appetite for junk food, carbohydrates and fat. If you feed your body excessive amounts of sugar and quickly digested carbohydrates, and it will shut off its ability to burn fat until those sugars are taken out of the bloodstream.

This website will show you how to work with your body to quickly produce the changes you want. In order to do that, you need to take actions that push your body to adapt – to build strength, burn fat, and increase fitness. You need a training program, not an exercise routine. You need a nutrition plan, not a diet. You need a challenge, not a few good habits you usually try to follow except when you don't.

Setting the right goal

John Dewey once said that a problem well-stated is half-solved. If you want to reach your goal, you have to define it correctly. See, a lot of people say “I want to lose weight.” Well, if losing weight is your goal, go on a no-carb diet. You'll lose a lot of weight – some of it will be fat, a lot of it will be water, and a dangerous amount will be muscle tissue. You'll lose weight quickly, but you'll slow your metabolism and gain fat more quickly once you go off the diet. Trust me on this. I've been there, done that.

The problem is that you've set the wrong goal. If you want to look better, have more energy and enjoy better health, the goal is not simply to “lose weight.” The goal is to improve your fitness level and body composition. That means losing fat, improving your aerobic capacity, training your strength and defending your muscle tissue. You can't do that with a no-carb diet. You will do it using the approach you'll learn on this website. Trust me on this one too. I know what it's like to feel fat, tired and helplessly out of shape. The whole point of this site is to help others avoid that, by sharing lessons that I had to learn the hard way.

Highly agree. Well spoken!