BIKRAM YOGA??!!

Options
Hello All,

I am new to this site and and world of watching what I eat! I have never been so self-conscious of my weight until recently. I am 26 am trying to shed some pounds for September wedding. I enjoy Bikram Yoga but was wondering if Bikram is good for loosing weight without doing cardio. is there anyone who is doing it for loosing weight? experiences? thoughts?

Cheers,

Arezou

Replies

• CarlyCo
    CarlyCo Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi there,

I am a yoga teacher trained in a western style of hot yoga the answer is yes, it will help you lose weight however, like any activity, your body will eventually get used to Bikram. My advice, pair that with cardio, I have had a lot of success hitting the treadmill just before my practice, the body benefits from stretches the most post-cardio. Hope this helps! Best of Luck!
  • arezou_vancouver
    arezou_vancouver Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you CarlyCo :) This is great, I am absolutely in love with Bikram and yeah your point taken, gotta squeeze in some cardio as well.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Ok, so what about Hot Vinyasa Flow?? I have toned up so much since starting this, and have managed to get down to my goal weight. I am not sure how many calories I am actully burning....I just used an online calculator to estimate. I am trying to throw in some light weight lifting, but haven't been religious. I have an elliptical that I occasionally use too. Thanks!!
  • arezou_vancouver
    arezou_vancouver Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    hummm, I haven't tried Hot Vinyasa Flow but it should be really interesting. I wonder if you would lose more calorie with Hot Vinyasa Flow than Bikram or vice versa.
  • CarlyCo
    CarlyCo Posts: 3
    Options
    Hot Vinyasa Flow is my speciality! After the birth of my first child I lost 65 lbs in a little over 6 months with 1 hour of Power (hot vinyasa flow) yoga and 5 hours a week on my treadmill, didn't step foot in a gym! You can lose weight this way, not only that, the best thing about yoga and weightloss is that when you lose fat, there is already toned lean muscle underneath! I recommend Baron Baptiste Power Vinyasa DVD's, practice in hot temps at least 4 times a week, or find a Baptiste Affiliate Studio in your area, you will see a difference and not only that, you will feel better too! Good Luck!
  • riveradee
    riveradee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    so i just started a monthly unlimeted that i bought on living social for a fraction of the usual price..bikram yoga.so far 3 times this week and loving it!! maybe do 4th day tmrw..the first day i saw results from water weight..i am honestly feeling stronger every time i do it .is that possible? anyhow loving it
  • riveradee
    riveradee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    whats the difference between hot vinyasa yoga and bikram
  • kathieh1
    kathieh1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm still quite a bit overweight.. is it possible to do Bikram Yoga when you're overweight to start? Like 70 or 80 pounds overweight and fairly out of shape? I love the idea of the stretching.. but I would feel weird walking in there and having them kick me out.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Kathieh, I would be very surprised if someone wouldn't let you do their classes because of weight. The instructor would have to have serious issues, if that was the case.
  • MissKMN
    MissKMN Posts: 119
    Options
    Of course you can do it...but don't walk in there thinking it's a cake walk. Some people mistake yoga for just stretching, but it IS a workout. You are working every organ/muscle in your body and it is challenging.

I know I went to my first yoga class thinking - oh fun...this'll be easy, and halfway through me and 3 other girls in the back were just lying on our backs panting. We definitely weren't in shape enough for it at that point!

That being said, don't let me discourage you because it is a wonderful activity and you should try it if you are interested. I just wanted you to be aware :D
  • kathieh1
    kathieh1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement.. I used to do yoga many years ago, and I know it would be hard.. but not familiar with these types of classes.. I do have low blood pressure, and I've read (here in another thread) that that can be an issue with yoga.. but it seems like it would be interesting to try it and we do have a center near me.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm still quite a bit overweight.. is it possible to do Bikram Yoga when you're overweight to start? Like 70 or 80 pounds overweight and fairly out of shape? I love the idea of the stretching.. but I would feel weird walking in there and having them kick me out.

I've been doing it for a few years and people of all ages, shapes and sizes practice it. Let the instructor know about any health issues or limitations you have.

Be careful with the low blood pressure. You will sweat a lot, so you will lose minerals, salt etc..
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Off topic a little bit. I started my weight-loss journey about two years ago, primarily with yoga. (cold Iyengar yoga) One person wrote about your body getting used to bikram yoga. That is getting on to something. It is true that yoga and other things,
    mixing it up, is probably a real good idea. So, I guess, don't think the "BIkram is going to allow me to lose my extra weight"
    more like "Bikram will be one of the various activities I do to lose weight." Counting your calories on MFP, is GREAT way
    to launch your health and fitness goals. Congrats on the wedding.