Is Something Wrong With Me?

Options
Hello Everyone!

I've been using MFP for about a year now. I usually read the message boards everyday. I love how everyone here is so supportive of one another so I thought I would give posting a shot

I am 5'3 118 lbs. I just graduated college in May and I'm trying to maintain my current weight however I went from teaching aerobics classes 3 times a week to a desk job. The problem is that I am always hungry! I try to space out my meals, get enough fiber and protein and drink enough water but no matter what I do my stomach is always growling about an hour after I eat. I realized today that it is kind of becoming a problem. I had a 2 hour meeting today at work. I had my mid- morning snack right before heading into the meeting but sure enough, about an hour in, my stomach was growling audibly and people were looking at me as if they were distracted by it.

This is my typical eating schedule

7:00am – Oatmeal, Turkey Sausage

10:00am – Black Coffee, Chopped Apple and Peanut Butter, Banana

12:30pm – Turkey and Avocado Sandwich with Spinach on Whole Wheat Bread, Yogurt

3:00pm – Cucumber and Grape Tomatoes with Hummus, String Cheese, Green Tea with Splenda

6:00pm – Baked Potato, Vegetables

I never make it to the next meal without experiencing extreme hunger! I don’t know what else to try. I am otherwise very healthy. No medical issues, non-smoker, drink socially. If anyone else is experiencing this or has ANY ideas on what I can do to have more control of my appetite I would love to hear any suggestions. I’m getting annoyed that I have to plan my life around my eating schedule.

Replies

• lydiamitchel3
    lydiamitchel3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I've been using MFP for about a year now. I usually read the message boards everyday. I love how everyone here is so supportive of one another so I thought I would give posting a shot

I am 5'3 118 lbs. I just graduated college in May and I'm trying to maintain my current weight however I went from teaching aerobics classes 3 times a week to a desk job. The problem is that I am always hungry! I try to space out my meals, get enough fiber and protein and drink enough water but no matter what I do my stomach is always growling about an hour after I eat. I realized today that it is kind of becoming a problem. I had a 2 hour meeting today at work. I had my mid- morning snack right before heading into the meeting but sure enough, about an hour in, my stomach was growling audibly and people were looking at me as if they were distracted by it.

3:00pm – Cucumber and Grape Tomatoes with Hummus, String Cheese, Green Tea with Splenda

I never make it to the next meal without experiencing extreme hunger! I don’t know what else to try. I am otherwise very healthy. No medical issues, non-smoker, drink socially. If anyone else is experiencing this or has ANY ideas on what I can do to have more control of my appetite I would love to hear any suggestions. I’m getting annoyed that I have to plan my life around my eating schedule.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    First of all, how many calories are you eating?
  • lydiamitchel3
    Options
    I'm usually between 1650-1800 calories
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    That looks like a reasonable number.

Hunger is so complex and poorly understood. There's little advice I can give you because filling your stomach with water may dampen feelings of hunger, but why...we're not sure. Maybe receptors in the stomach, maybe something chemical...you get the idea. It might not even work for you.

One thing that might comfort you is 'rumbling', or borborgymus, is not actually related to hunger. It's the sounds of food churning in your stomach because the valve to your small intestine isn't open. It's just the sound of mechanical digestion. So if it bothers you, try eating further in advance of when you'll be around people.
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Are you on birth control? Some of them can mess with your appetite, especially Depo Provera. I used to not give much thought to what I ate, and ate a reasonable diet, but when I started on Depo, I was hungry ALL the time. I went from 125 to 160 in about 6 months.

It could be any number of things - just one to consider if it applies.
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    Maybe try upping your protein or you fat intake?

You have a very healthy menu there, but it doesn't sound like much of it is very filling.

Foods that take longer to digest might help hold you over till your next meal. Just a thought.

:flowerforyou:
  • chrisesha
    Options
    For me, sleep deprivation (even if it isn't that severe) is a big cause of feeling hungry. But, even more importantly, coffee, especially BLACK COFFEE really can do a number on the stomach. Does the grumbling have any relation? (It seems to be a possibility based on your posting)
  • healthychic
    Options
    I would try to incorporate more meat/fish into your food intake. I would recommend no-hormones added chicken and turkey, and salmon or tuna. But this is only if you like meat and fish. Some people don't have a taste for it. But I know when I eat a dinner of Salmon, rice and veggies and then a couple hours later I go to sleep, I sleep soundly without being hungry or my tummy growling. Hope this helps!:smile:
    Oh also, more fruit! That really keeps you full, at least me anyways.

:heart: Danielle
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

I'm not sure how something like the menu above adds up to 1600-1800--it doesn't seem like anywhere near that to me.

BUT, I do notice that there are several things in there that are high calorie food--such as the PB, Avocado, Cheese, banana, Baked Potato (depending on what you put on it). Also, sounds like a lot of sodium rich foods as well.

I would suggest trying some foods that are not so calorie dense so you can eat more of them and feel more satisfied. AND, increase your fiber as well--doesn't seem like you're getting a lot of it based upon that sample menu. More fiber will make you feel fuller.

Try salads (sans dressing!), sandwiches WITHOUT avocados (that will save a bunch of a calories you can have for something else), etc.

So--less sodium (between 2200-2500 a day), more fiber, less calorie dense foods but more food instead.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    For me, sleep deprivation (even if it isn't that severe) is a big cause of feeling hungry. But, even more importantly, coffee, especially BLACK COFFEE really can do a number on the stomach. Does the grumbling have any relation? (It seems to be a possibility based on your posting)

I second that. Coffee, black tea and even green tea, not to mention coke (which I don't like anymore, it's so yeaky!) and even sodas - they make me so hungry, I could eat a whole pork in an hour after drinking them :laugh: .Well, laughing or not, it sure is annoying, cos I do need some means to wake up and to stay awake! :grumble:
  • lydiamitchel3
    Options
    Thanks SO MUCH everyone!! That deinately gives me a few things to try