Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

pepper spray

So after a fiasco of almost getting hit when I was jogging yesterday my hubby has insisted I go jogging on the walking trail. The trail is in the woods. He doesn't want me to go alone but at the moment I do not have anyone to go with me besides my huskey. He would probably lick someone to death. We agreed if I get some pepper spray that it would be fine. I'm looking for something that I can wear around my neck. Does anyone have anything similar? I've never had to use anything like that but you can never be to safe.

Thanks in advanced,
Jen

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    actually you would be suprised at what your husky would do if he felt you were in danger. i would take the pepper spray and the jusky
  • eyeamAnne
    eyeamAnne Posts: 24 Member
    And even if your husky wouldn't do anything, having a dog at your side might make someone think twice before making a move. I don't know about where to find the pepper spray, but I'm interested as well.
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Don't wear anything around your neck, bad idea.. even break away cords...... Unless you keep it in your hand, your chances of using it are slim, and even then if someone is right up on you, you may end up hindering yourself as much as an attacker.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SearchResults.aspx?catid=5548&site=All+Products&num=15&q=pepper+spray

Never underestimate your dog. I think they make the best running buddies.
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Don't even assume that you will see them coming, even if you have before.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Tell your husband to come with you! You'll flatter him, he'll get in shape, and you don't need the pepper spray :bigsmile:
    There's times I've wished that I could buy some, but as far as I'm aware, it's illegal to buy in Canada (not that it would stop me or anyone else!). I just can't seem to locate any! :frown:
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    I've been OC sprayed. It hurts like hell, but like others have said you should have it in your hand, or perhaps on a belt and ready to go if you are going to carry it. However, having it accessible to you means it could also be accessible to an attacker and it could easily turn out bad for you. So much can go wrong with pepper spray. I would just go jogging with the husky in a safe area if I were you.

But, if you do go the route of pepper spray make sure you read up on the safety tips and how to use it first.
  • polkataniec
    polkataniec Posts: 102
    Good idea but NEVER on your neck!!! To easy for someone to grab it .Better on your wrist close to your hand...harder to see.Dont have earphons with music on,you want to hear if anyone approching.And cellphone is a must!Dont let suspecous person come too close to you,you need distance to spray properly! and you dont want this stuff on yourself if the wind blowes your way! I,m sure you can finde more info on the web...Stay safe!:)
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    the dog will be a pretty good deterant to any attacker, they don't know that he's as soft as clarts and won't chance it, also don't underestimate what the dog would do to protect you, i dog sat for my old landlord for a couple of weeks, and the dog was a really soft gentle as anything doberman, when my landlord came back he just knocked and walked into my flat (not an issue we had an open door policy) and he didn't get more than 5 feet in the door cos HIS dog was growling and snarling at him
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    IMHO the pepper spray has a better chance of ending up in your own eyes than an attacker.

As for the dog, a story will do:

I have a black field lab, so she has broad shoulders and face. She will sit in your lap, all 70 pounds of her.

When she was less than a year old and under 50 pounds I took her to the dog park. I sat down at the picnic table and read my book as she let off some steam. A woman and her to German Shepherds came into the park.. The woman was intoxicated and the dogs were untrained, and huge.

As I sat at the table ignoring them, Joey was on the other side of the park, one of the dogs jumped UP onto the table in front of me and started to stare me down showing teeth. I have been around dogs all my life so knew better than to show fear, yet I was planning in my head where I was going to shove my paperback should it pounce.

Within a split second of all this happening Joey was right there..................to my left. She had front paws on the table and was snarling at that dog. SNARLING! OMG...............the other dog turned around and got down.

OF course I left the park but I tell ya, when I go walking or jogging Joey goes right along with me!!:love:
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member

This, unfortunately, is all too true. About a month ago, I had a scare that really freaked me out. I was walking (cooling down after a run) just a couple of blocks from my home when out of nowhere, a teenager ran up behind me and grabbed my *kitten*. Granted, I was out at night with headphones on, but I had my dog with me and I felt perfectly safe. I realize that in the grand scheme of things, having my *kitten* grabbed is not really a big deal, but what really scared me was that I didn't see, hear, or feel him coming up behind me. Had he wanted to do something worse, he easily could have.
    Up until then, I had always thought of myself as fairly vigilant; I had considered getting some pepper spray, but ultimately figured it was unnecessary. I realize now, that even if I'd had pepper spray with me, unless it was in my hand (and maybe not even then) it would have been of no use to me in that situation. Since then, I have stopped running at night, and Monday I'm going to my first self defense class. Give me a few weeks of Krav Maga and let that kid try grabbing me again! :wink:

Good luck!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member

Up until then, I had always thought of myself as fairly vigilant; I had considered getting some pepper spray, but ultimately figured it was unnecessary. I realize now, that even if I'd had pepper spray with me, unless it was in my hand (and maybe not even then) it would have been of no use to me in that situation.

Totally agree! A few years ago, I was walking home from school in broad daylight, in a particularly nice part of town (middle-upper class), on a well-used street. Out of nowhere I was surrounded by a gang of teenagers who grabbed at me from all angles and took all my stuff. I'm athletic, I've taken years of kickboxing, but I was powerless. I fought back but it was me against about 5-6 people all larger than myself. Even if I'd had pepper spray, I wouldn't have been able to use it, and because they literally circled me, it would've been dangerous to use anyhow. I consider myself extremely vigilant and safe. Sometimes, bad things happen to good people, for no reason! :frown:
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Tell your husband to come with you! You'll flatter him, he'll get in shape, and you don't need the pepper spray :bigsmile:
    There's times I've wished that I could buy some, but as far as I'm aware, it's illegal to buy in Canada (not that it would stop me or anyone else!). I just can't seem to locate any! :frown:
    I would but we have to exercise at different times because we have no one to watch our girls. They are 2 and 3 and we are working on getting a double jogging stroller but haven't found one yet
  • aecryan
    aecryan Posts: 89
    I carry pepper spray in my hand with a jogging strap and my thumb resting on the trigger for the entire run. My pepper spray is a cone spray not a stream, so it will definitely hit the target. I don't listen to music and every so often I look over my shoulder. I try to make myself as unattractive as possible to an attacker. I never run outside at night.

To the pp that was surrounded by 5-6 people, that is so scary and I am so glad to hear you are ok. I am so sorry that happened to you!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    I carry pepper spray in my pocket. Honestly, I agree with the other posters about taking your dog with you. They're the best protection (I wish I could have a dog). My biggest worry when I hike is running into a Mountain Lion. I've actually started walking in town with friends and going to Zumba. I'm trying to avoid hiking alone on trails, especially at dusk.

I had a weird experience a few weeks ago - I was alone in the parking lot at a trailhead and ran into a guy with a giant bowie knife. He didn't threaten me, but I made it clear that I had pepper spray with me (you know, for the Mountain Lions).
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK8ywmLmPbs

Can't help it.

This topic brings back painful (yet funny memories). I'm not looking forward to getting OC sprayed again.
    All I can say is if you need it ,and carry it, be careful.
  • This is the very best pepper spray on the market....what the police use and they make athletic models -
    http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-SABRE-Red-Pepper-Sprays-cln-Athletic-Defense-Spray/Categories
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Just make sure pepper spray is legal in your area... If not, get bear mace. :bigsmile:
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Bump.