NSV - Running

Options
I am closing in on three full months of my journey. Close to 25 pounds lost and counting. I started out doing Bob Harper's Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga DVD, all six weeks to running.

I have been running for the past 8 weeks now and have hit several milestones I am very proud of. So don't mind if I brag just a tad. But that's ok because I have so many more mini goals to hit.

Today, for the first time I ran for thirty minutes without stopping. In addition, I ran for three miles without stopping. "Stopping" in the sense that I never lowered the speed on the treadmill. I kept it at 5.5 the entire time. Once I hit 30 minutes I sped it up to 8.0 for another minute and hit 3 miles. Then I finished up and set a new 5K time of 34 minutes 20 seconds.

:happy:

Anyone else a runner that's just starting out on here? I wouldn't mind linking up with a few more of you for that added motivation.

Thanks!!!
Ian

Replies

• chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I've been a runner on and off for ten years and my time is about the same as yours! I am VERY impressed!
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I'm a noob runner! I'm doing my first 5k in approximately a week. I've been using C25K and I'm on week 8. I started out on the treadmill then started over after I found out running outdoors is way harder for me. So I started back at W1 and have done all my running since then outdoors.

I'm at the point, provided my head is on straight, that I can crank out a full 30 minute run.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about a year now. Unfortunately, I fell on the ice in January and ended up with a bulging disc that has really had an affect on my running. I am FINALLY working my way back up - speedwise. My goal is a mile under 10 mins. Right now, I can do it in 10:45. I REALLY want to be under 10 mins. So, that is what I'm working towards. :)
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Way to go Ian!! If you check my profile, you'll see a similar story...I started last year...ran a 2 mile run last March and my first 5K last May...skip forward to present....I just completed my second half marathon on Sunday. Keep at it, build up slow, and you will amaze yourself with what you are able to do!! I caught myself the other day saying the sentence, "It's JUST 3 miles"...a year ago, I would have never made a comment like that. You are doing great!! Tammy
  • taliak262
    Options
    Ian fabulous! Just wait, you'll catch yourself saying "easy" and "6 miler" and "today" all in the same sentence!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm a noob runner! I'm doing my first 5k in approximately a week. I've been using C25K and I'm on week 8. I started out on the treadmill then started over after I found out running outdoors is way harder for me. So I started back at W1 and have done all my running since then outdoors.

I'm at the point, provided my head is on straight, that I can crank out a full 30 minute run.

I can't run outside - it is so hard on my back. The treadmill gives as I run and the ground doesn't. I wish I could run outside (it'd be nice in the summer months!), but I just can't do it. I'm in awe of anyone who can do it! WTG!
  • oechsner
    oechsner Posts: 1
    Options
    Great job on the running! I started right about where you are at the beginning of the year (247 lbs.) and have since made it down to 203. My goal weight is 187 lbs. When I started running, I used the C25K program and could barely run 90 seconds at a time. I'm up to 35 minutes at a speed of 6.8 on the treadmill and a personal best of 27:15 for the 5K. I've never thought of myself as a runner, but I am really enjoying the workouts and the fruits of my labor. Keep up the good fight!
  • ravenlunatic76
    ravenlunatic76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have run outside, once, and did 2.5 miles in 30 minutes. I averaged 2.75 in 30 minutes up until today.

The one time I did run outside I felt great, then got very sore the next two days. Now I fully realize that it takes practice and a few times to work out the kinks of doing it outside, but for now I am building up on the treadmill.

Meant to mention that the next mini goal is to record a sub 34 minute 5K. Then will keep trying to trim the time by a minute each time. Will also try and run 3 full miles in 30 minutes. What I did today was 3 miles in about 31:30.

Thanks for reading and replying everyone - it all helps!
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    when i started this site a little over a month ago, i could run .2 miles then i would walk .2. as of tuesday, i went an entire mile and a half WITHOUT stopping. and another 1.5 miles on intervals of running 2 min walking at 4.1 for 2 min uphill at 5. i personally like running outside better, just as theres more scenery to distract me from the fact that im actually running, however i also do believe that its alot harder on the body! i also have a goal of my first 5 k BEFORE the end of summer. congrats on ur GREAT achievement and feel free to add me as well if u would like!
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Ian fabulous! Just wait, you'll catch yourself saying "easy" and "6 miler" and "today" all in the same sentence!

LOL..we were replying at the same time, so saw your comment when mine posted...you are so right...just caught myself doing that the other day!!
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I tried some trail running the other day...not so good. LOL. Trail running is even tougher. That's my next goal.
  • ravenlunatic76
    ravenlunatic76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

LOL..we were replying at the same time, so saw your comment when mine posted...you are so right...just caught myself doing that the other day!!

LOL can't wait for that day to come. In due time of course :)
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Im a new runner as well. I started off kinda of embarresed cuz i could only do a 5 mph for a few minutes before gasping for breath. I now run normally at a 6.2 mph and sometimes jump it up to around 7.1 to push myself. I do run for about 5 minutes then go down to 4 mph for 1-2 minutes then start all over. My 5k time as of this week is 33:27 minutes.. Alot better than the hour it took me at first .. keep up the good work.
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Great job! I just started running again. Just that walk run schedule for now. I'm almost able to run a mile straight. I use to be a runner so it gets a little fustrating knowing how I've let myself go. But I'm getting there. I've got ambious goal of running a 1/2 marathon at the end of summer so we will see. Great job!
  • taliak262
    Options

yep! And what you wrote is so true; in time 3 miles is the new 1! Congratulations on your 2nd Half! I see you've caught the racing bug!

Nice to see all the runners here! We all need support and encouragement!
  • sociable15
    Options
    NICE! Very proud. :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!