New shoes + walking = BLISTERS

Options
So, how do you best deal with them?

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Let them turn into callouses to avoid future problems.
    Sorry, that's not much help. My feet are covered in callouses from shoes and dancing barefoot. Now I could walk on coals.
    Buy new shoes? Sounds like they're not that good if they're giving you blisters.
  • songofserenity81
    songofserenity81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    would like to hear as well :)
  • aeris
    aeris Posts: 5
    Options
    i try to leave them alone and bandage them up, switch my shoes for a while. moleskin is really awesome stuff if you can find it!
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    your foot is sliding around in the shoes, thats why you are getting a blister. you need to go to lady foot locker and get your foot measured and fitted.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Two pairs of socks, and lots of band-aids!!!!
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    return the shoes- either they are too big or too small but they are not right for you and go to a real running store and get fitted for new shoes ( go to about.com- and search walking shoes- their walking expert has great advice!)
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you bought good walking shoes, and are wearing the right socks, you shouldn't get blisters. I would go to a running store and have them fit you. They also have walking shoes. You don't have to buy them there if they seem spendy, but you'll get the names of shoes that will work for you.
    As far as socks go, they make socks that are 2 layered so you don't get spots that rub. These aren't exactly cheap either, but they really help. I used them when I did the 3 Day 60 mile breast cancer walk and won't use anything else when I walk for exercise. Here is one site that carries the walking socks I use. http://www.sockcompany.com/wrightsock.html
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Properly fitted shoes are key... You also will want to wear wicking (sp?) sock. Those will draw the mosture out which is what causes the blisters, the moisture and rubbing. One of the best mottos I have learned is "cotten is rotten" when exercising :wink:

Depending on your shoe size you will want to go up at least a half size. Your feet swell with working out. You want about an inch between your toes and end of the shoe when you stand up so you don't hit the ends. I go to a shoe store that watch me walk and see what I am doing with my feet to provide the best shoe. I over pronate and have a low to no arch. That all means that I need a flat shoe with a lot of support in the sole.... everyone is different! :flowerforyou:

For blisters I pop them, frain them, and leave the skin on as the protection. So far I have only gotten five blisters in the year and a half that I have been walking/running half marathons! :bigsmile:

Hope this helps
  • margielewis
    margielewis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I actually bought 3 pair of shoes for walking because I have a hard time getting them to fit right. The left of this pair is perfect but not the right. One of the other pairs the right is perfect but not the left - I've decided to wear odd shoes lol.