soda pop cake

Options
I learned when I did Weight Watchers a few years back, to make a cake using a can of diet soda and nothing else. You can use any flavor cake mix with any flavor of diet soda. No other ingredients needed... just add the soda to the dry cake mix and then pour into a pan sprayed with a cooking spray. It needs to cook a little longer than the box says (nearer to 50 minutes) but I just keep checking it after about 40 minutes at 325 degrees. It is moister than normal and I do not add any frosting. One piece is a good snack!
My favorite is chocolate cake with diet coke but I have also made white cake with creme soda and lemon cake with 7up.
Next I am trying a spice cake with root beer.

Replies

• wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Good God. That's exactly why I quit weight watchers. I suppose it would be more unhealthy if you poured some arsenic in it....

I'm sure it tastes good, but I've decided to put real food in me.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Good God. That's exactly why I quit weight watchers. I suppose it would be more unhealthy if you poured some arsenic in it....

I'm sure it tastes good, but I've decided to put real food in me.

my thoughts exactly!
  • sbpeters93
    sbpeters93 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've made these before too when I was doing Weight Watchers. Yes, it may not be "healthy" but it's a great alternative for a chocoholic/sweet addict when the cravings come calling!
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You would be a lot better off ditching the diet soda and using a 15oz can of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)... it works even better, makes the cake moist and rich with flavor (while not tasting like pumpkin), plus you get the much healthier nutrients and fiber. I make almost all of my cupcakes and cakes with pumpkin and no one knows...until I tell them that there are not fats or oils. From what I understand, if the artificial sweetener in diet coke (aspartame?) reaches a certain heat, it basically becomes a poison. Why would you even want to risk that?

TRY THE PUMPKIN!!! (i like chocolate cake mix the best, and for a twist, i sprinkle cinnamon in the batter for a little spice!)
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bumped for the pumkin recipe...Thanks!!!! =)
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try the pumpkin recipe! Also, trader joes makes a cake/brownie mix where you add a container of lowfat yogurt and nothing else, and it tastes amazing (it's not quite as spongey, but still yummyyy!)
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing:))
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    You would be a lot better off ditching the diet soda and using a 15oz can of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)... it works even better, makes the cake moist and rich with flavor (while not tasting like pumpkin), plus you get the much healthier nutrients and fiber. I make almost all of my cupcakes and cakes with pumpkin and no one knows...until I tell them that there are not fats or oils. From what I understand, if the artificial sweetener in diet coke (aspartame?) reaches a certain heat, it basically becomes a poison. Why would you even want to risk that?

TRY THE PUMPKIN!!! (i like chocolate cake mix the best, and for a twist, i sprinkle cinnamon in the batter for a little spice!)

wow!!! very helpful:)) where can I find pumpkin puree??? Never even heard of it:)) It's amazing ow many new things I have learned on MFP:))
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options

You can usually find it hiding on the cake aisle.

wow!!! very helpful:)) where can I find pumpkin puree??? Never even heard of it:)) It's amazing ow many new things I have learned on MFP:))