Changing my ultimate goal??

Options
So...I went to my hometown back in Cleveland, Ohio over the weekend and had lunch with my best friends that I've known since high school and junior high, and they are so supportive and told me I was doing well and looked great :). So, then they asked me how many more pounds I wanted to lose, and I replied "About 60" and they laughed at me, and said, "You don't need to lose 60 lbs." Now, I've thought about this since being home, and thought about where I was at my happiest weight, as opposed to looking at the BMI chart, and I've come to the realization that my "happy weight" was about 10 lbs heavier than my BMI ideal weight, but I would like to be more toned at that size. Should I change my ultimate goal even though it would put me in the "overweight" category? What do you all think? As I think about it some more, I may not be happy with that size, my body is def different after having children and becoming a woman. Hmmm....

Replies

• outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    As long as you're both healthy and happy I say go for it.
  • superstarcola
    Options
    my best friend said almost the same thing to me... although, my goal weight IS my happiest weight.

Nice to hear though, isn't it? You must be making great progress, keep it up!
  • afewmilesofnight
    Options
    i would just take it a little at a time. you might get to a point where you're happy, but then change your mind and go for another few lbs later. or maybe you'll look fabulous at a higher number than you thought!
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My original goal was 125. Now I am about 140 and feel fabulous. I changed my goal weight to 135, but I also promised myself to work on more toning. You should do what is right for you.
  • brainzzz
    brainzzz Posts: 18
    Options
    BMI is a short hand used to determine the health of sedentary populations.
    If you continue to exercise a reasonable amount, it does not apply to you. Maybe re-think your goals in terms of bf%, which is a more reliable determinant of health than BMI.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My friend and family said the same thing to me when I was around 180lbs. I said I had another 40lbs to lose and they were all "OMG! There's no way!! You would be way too skinny!" So now, at 155, guess what? No where near skinny! But my body is soft and flabby, despite all the strength training I have been doing, so IDK.
    I bet you can keep your goal but continue what you are doing and just decide to stop when you are happy and then work on maintenance. That's what I am hoping to do- if I'm ever happy, that is. :)
  • mrsjcmyles
    mrsjcmyles Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    BMI is a short hand used to determine the health of sedentary populations.
    If you continue to exercise a reasonable amount, it does not apply to you. Maybe re-think your goals in terms of bf%, which is a more reliable determinant of health than BMI.

Where can I find out what range my body fat percentage should be at? Also, I use a weight watchers scale that tells that; is it accurate?