Healthy on a budget ??

Options
Hey Everyone,

So this is my first week of MFP and I am going to the grocery store. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am on a budget... I know frozen veggies are cheaper (when fresh are not in season)

Does anyone have any recommendations so that I can save my pocketbook and live this healthy lifestyle??

Thanks MFP's!!!
~Michelle

Replies

• beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Buy frozen veggies/fruit. Buy in bulk when things are on sale/cheaper and then portion out for the freezer or just your daily life (I do this with meat, oatmeal, etc).
  • Kforest0714
    Kforest0714 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Beans,beans,beans....cheap,good for you, and lots of diffrent kinds...tons of ways to make them.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I buy all my fruit and veg at Costco. Most of it is organic, even! I end up with SO MUCH that I am forced to eat massive quantities of veg every day :smile:
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Stay away from the packaged "diet" foods. They're ridiculously expensive and full of salt. Stick to the outside of the store.

Frozen veg, bagged frozen shrimp are good.

Lately I've also gotten back into my habits from when I lived in France. I shop every day, only for my meals that day. Fish from the counter, a piece will run maybe 2 dollars.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    http://veganrockergirl.blogspot.com/2010/09/veganism-for-cheap-*kitten*-like-me.html

Vegan or not, you can use my shopping guide as a guide to keeping it cheap and healthy!
  • cookiepuss28
    Options
    I try to plan my week based off of what is currently on sale at the store.
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    i find fresh foods are a lot cheaper than packaged stuff, especially those "diet" meals and snacks. Just sticks with simple foods and use seasonings. Also, if you have an Aldi's nearby, they have great prices and their produce is amazing!
  • busygirl1
    busygirl1 Posts: 217
    Options
    Beans,beans,beans....cheap,good for you, and lots of diffrent kinds...tons of ways to make them.
    yep! meat is expensive so bulk up on beans and pulses etc. :smile:
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I buy all my fruit and veg at Costco. Most of it is organic, even! I end up with SO MUCH that I am forced to eat massive quantities of veg every day :smile:

I was going to suggest this. If it is just you, maybe pick one vegetable and one fruit that you want to eat each week and only buy that from Costco for the week. If there are any leftovers at the end of the week, you can always freeze it for later. I buy a lot of our veggies at Costco, fo a lot of things, you pay the same as you would at the grocery store, but get 2-3 times as much product. I also buy cottage cheese, greek yogurt and peanut butter there, too.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    1. FROZEN VEGETABLES
    Frozen veggies are typically a great value, and very nutritious.

2. GROCERY STORE PRICE MATCHING (WALMART)
    We have been able to buy a lot more fruit and veggies (along with meats and other items) thanks to Walmart's price-matching policy on groceries. We check all of the special that come in the junk mail for local grocery stores, jot them down and head to Walmart.

The best fruit and veggie prices here are found in the Latin markets -- it's not uncommon for us to pick-up 6 lbs of oranges for $0.99, for example. Sometimes, though, the quality can be poor at the store offering the sale, so we just take that price to Walmart. It will also save you time and gasoline/bus fare. Walmart's price match policy is that you don't have to bring the ad -- just be able to tell them where you found the offer. They keep the local ads there, supposedly. We've never gotten any hassle though.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Crock pot (slow cooker) is great way to go. Cook 'em overnight and then freeze any surplus.

If you go with canned beans, I would recommend rinsing them to cut down on the sodium. Some nice folks have even added the rinsed versions of most canned beans to the food database.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Yeah, here I am again... Oatmeal is another great, cheap, healthy food.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Do you have a WinCo near you? We continue to find that prices for the exact same foods are way cheaper at Winco and are amazed to walk out of there with more than a weeks' worth of stuff for under $50-60
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Stock up on meat & fish when it's on sale. Freeze in one meal portions.
    Stock up on fresh fruits & veggies in season and freeze them yourself.
    Buy grains & beans in bulk.
  • lulusmom
    lulusmom Posts: 71
    Options
    Store brand chicken breast tenderloins (less salt than namebrand) and salmon filets.

Buy the "special" fruit/veggies.

Don't buy pre-sliced/packaged fruits/veggies.

Skip the dairy aisle.

Skip packaged side-dishes. Just buy brown rice and a variety of beans.

Look for the store brand 100% whole wheat bread.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Do you like lentils? Can't stand them myself unfortunately, but they're cheap, easy to cook and store, low fat and nutritious. :)

Also (in England at least) buying a whole chicken can be cheaper than buying two chicken breasts!