Broken down, ready to get back up

Options
It was recommended I come to this site, over loseit which I have been using and I like it already!

Quick saga - getting older(36) so I can't eat like I used to anyway, got a gig writing a food column for 2 years, gained weight. Moved south, decided to lose weight and started doing roller derby. Broke leg 5 weeks in, didn't walk for 4 months, and after a year, just getting back to me. Gained weight. Also, has a skinny husband that cooks. :-)

I've managed to lose 11 pounds since my second ankle surgery in November. Diagnosed with PCOS, and IC this past month - had a partial hysterectomy 2 weeks ago - still recovering. Doc says I need to get back to a good weight. Oy.

BUT - I don't want to be unhealthy and it's obvious the extra weight is not helping. So... I am 180, 5'2". Doc prefers me down to 140, wedding weight was 130ish in 1998.

While I have managed to lose 11 pounds (high was 191 during the broken leg time), I need to lose ALOT more. Could use friends & support while doing this - my husband has been awesome but it would help to chat with people going through the same struggles.

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    sounds like life has been a roller coaster! Welcome to MFP! I think you will find a supportive community that celebrates everyone's successes. I used LoseIt too, but the community here is really like nothing I have found before. (to include weight watchers.) Good luck on your journey!
  • anchorsaweigh7
    anchorsaweigh7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome you did roller derby!! I know a few friends who're really into it, but it'd be worried i'd bust my front teeth out! Some of those ladies look vicious!

You can do it!! Ya just gotta stay motivated and remember that results won't come over night or for free...I always have to remind myself of that, because I am honestly lazy sometimes and get discouraged when results dont come right away..
    I'm almost 26 & just had my first child not long ago, so i can definitely feel ya on "not being able to eat like you used to"...
    Good luck!!!!
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are only 1 inch taller than me and around the same weight. Welcome! We can do this! :)
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds familiar. I am at a similar weight, age and physical limitations. One thing I have learned is to make peace with my body. If I can't exercise one week then I carefully watch my diet and look forward to the weeks I can get out. I used to give up everytime my body rebelled, (i have back issues) but now I know that it is only a period of time that I can focus on getting nutrition and building my motivation. It feels like I am always starting over, but each time it is easier and I don't go as far backward. Getting there eventually is my goal.
    PCOS is an extra trial, but there are diets that I am sure you know about that work with the condition. I feel for you, it's unfair that the same amount of work equals less results but it IS POSSIBLE.
    I'm friending you, if you want a buddy to take the journey with.
    Shel
  • tastigger
    tastigger Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies & friend requests. I look forward to getting to know everyone, and sharing support!
  • PA21
    PA21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    OK,
    So you are a lot like my favorite sweater. You've seen my best, my worst, been through the spin cycle too many times and yet, you're still my favorite sweater- unbeatable!
    I'm here for ya. Any girl who tries roller derby is automatically added. :)
  • warrenpeace23
    Options
    Roller derby!!! Dam% Girl!!! I have nothing but respect for that!!! We will help you through. I've been here one week and have changed my lifestyle already. I think myfitnesspal may make weightwatchers go out of business. This site makes it soooo easy. Let's be friends and push each other.

Take care,

Jen:smile:
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Wow it can be really hard when you're struck with my challenges then usual but look at it as more reasons to push through. I think MBF will be great as at least you can monitor your intake if you can't do as much exercise at some points. Good luck!
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    hey girlie! i just read your story for the first time. i am glad that you like this site and i know that it will bring you nothing but success!! :happy:
  • vitacat
    vitacat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A skinny husband that cooks! Haha nightmare :)
    I used my hysterectomy as an excuse to ease off, put on a stone quickly then another one slowly so you are right to be aware.
    Welcome, I'm sure this site will help.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    oh dear, the elements have been aginst you! but glad to see you're raring to go!
    it's probably worth looking into the Glycemic index diet with regards to PCOS.Essentially it's about eating bit less carbs and/or carbs that have low G.I such as sweet potatoes rather than normal potatoes.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have been back and forth and derailed by knee surgery that still bothers me to this day! Battling Thyroid issues but hanging tough! If you can roller derby, you can do this!!!! Good luck and welcome!
  • tastigger
    tastigger Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks again for all of the posts (and I have been mostly following the GI lifestyle since I was diagnosed with PCOS - staying away from whites and incorporating more grains. I feel MUCH better and not nearly as 'snacky' all the time)

Weighed in today and I am down almost 5 pounds from the last time I weighed in (~two weeks ago)

This is my fifth day logging into the site and I was just telling my husband - as awesome as he is, he doesn't have to lose weight so while I appreciate the support, he isn't aware first hand. It's so encouraging to hear from people that have friended me, to say way to go, or to post their successful results. It makes me WANT to log back in again, versus just using the site as a tool to log food.

So thanks all - keep the friend requests coming - we can all use encouragement. :)