eating under my calorie goals

Options
I know this has come up a few times on this message board but I need some advice. I have been using MFP for about 3 months now and have lost 1st 3lbs (my starting weight entered into MFP profile was 4lbs lower than I originally weighed) and have regularly eaten under my calorie goal, although not always. I have started to feel incredibly bloated recently and although the scales are still telling me I have lost pounds it does not feel or look like it. Even if I am not hungry should I still eat to my calorie goal (1200)? Will I notice a difference in weight loss or will I actually put on weight?

Replies

• meganwolsker
    Options
    I would definetly not be eating under your 1200 calories. Eating less than that slows your metabolism and your body actually tries to store and hold on to fat because it thinks that you are starving it. In addition, it is almost impossible to get all of your required daily nutrients from so little calories. Eat them up!
  • mrswilson0511
    mrswilson0511 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    you need to eat net 1200 calories at the end of the day. If you continue to go under that your body will eventually go into starvation mode and it will start storing all the calories and your metabolism will slow down
  • mare91467
    mare91467 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Are you watching your sodium? That will lead to bloating. Try to stay within the recommended guidelines. You would be surprised how much sodium is in diet type foods.
  • chloecox
    chloecox Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If I start to eat my 1200 calorie goal will I start to put on weight or will it enhance weight loss? Still seems strange the idea that you have to eat to lose weight :S
  • mrswilson0511
    mrswilson0511 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    when you signed up for the site it put in a calorie deficet depending on what you wanted to lose a week that is where your calorie goal came from was taking what you wanted to lose. (it did all the math for you). So yes eating your 1200 should theoretically help you lose weight. You body needs the calories
  • jackal75
    jackal75 Posts: 95
    Options
    If I start to eat my 1200 calorie goal will I start to put on weight or will it enhance weight loss? Still seems strange the idea that you have to eat to lose weight :S

To be able to better answer that, we would need more info. How many pounds per week did you enter into MFP? How many calories would you be allowed if you set that to zero?

MFP is going to calculate your basic metabolic rate based on your entries in your goals area (current weight, height, etc...). Let's say that you can metabolize 1600 calories per day. If you tell MFP that you want to lose a pound per week, it may tell you you can have 1450 calories (not a real number, just an example) per day. If you put in 4lbs a week it may take you down to 1200... but know that it will NEVER take you below 1200 calories. That is the cutoff where you must have medical advice before dropping below that level.

That said, this means that you should never eat less than that. Like those that posted before me, I will tell you that eating less than that may be sabbotaging your efforts. Eat healthy foods, eat at least 1200 calories per day, watch your sodium and saturated fats. Drink plenty of water. Get some exercise, but make sure you eat enough to bring yourself back to at least 1200 net calories.

Be patient, and let MFP work. I lost 75 lbs in one year, and that was a healthy rate that I should be able to keep off.