Seeking Hip Bursitis support

Options
Today I figured out that the pain in my left hip is trochanteric bursitis. I started walking to and from work (2 miles each way) four days a week in early February. The pain started 4 to 6 weeks ago. I am going to need to take a break from my walking and hope for the best. I will be self-treating this for now as I have no health insurance. Guess I will be joining the indoor pool /gym sooner than later! I know that I can overcome, but I still feel down. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• JHG1949
    JHG1949 Posts: 1
    Options
    I too have the same problem in both hips. My doc suggested stretching exercies to help cure it. They say if it is really bad and continues they can use a needle and asparate it. All the best...
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    look up Yoga/Pilates moves for hip openers and take ibuprofen for the pain/discomfort when it flares. I had the same issue and over time it will heal up and you'll be able to go back to your normal routines. I was even able to go back to 5K training. Good Luck!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in My hips, and I tell you I can NOW move well! I began taking Fish Oil (1200mg for 3 weeks) and just upped it by 600mg and in 3weeks I will up it by 600mg once more.

Also, do NOT stop walking...If you do it WILL get WORSE, Reduce your walking maybe by half until you improve. STRETCH, this is an ABSOLUTE MUST...I went to YouTube and found hip exercises, back and thigh/quad and hamstring and groin muscle exercises (because the hips rely on these areas and vice versa). You may begin to rely too heavily on your knees and they will become effected, this is why it is soooo important to be STRONG in your lower BODY and Back. Stretching keeps your range of motion and strengthens those lower areas. I will also suggest Pilates and Swimming, and keep walking!
  • ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouragement and advice. I have gathered some credible information on exercises and treatment , but I am unsure about a couple of things. As I understand the condition, I should reduce my walking and/or slow my pace in order to allow this to heal. Do those of you who have overcome hip bursitis agree? Also, I assume that ibuprofen will reduce pain but also treat the inflammation. Is this correct? My pain is not too bad, and unless the ibuprofen will actually aid the healing process I wuld rather not take it. Thanks again!
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The ibuprofen is more for the inflammation of the hip bursis so I would take it. I definitiely reduced my intensity for awhile after I was having flare-ups. I went from jogging to walking and using a bike or an elliptical at the gym, anything low impact but something that will keep you moving, I think you mentioned swimming, that would be good too. After a few weeks, try walking again, maybe a slower pace and see how you do. Go gradually but don't give up. :)
  • ccaym
    Options
    Thank you : )
  • akiriago
    akiriago Posts: 2
    Options
    I work as a PT and see this often. Generally with this problem people are weak in their glut medius and maximus muscles, as well as tight in their IT bands. You could look up strengthening and stretching exercises for these areas and see if that helps.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can show my fiance. He has hip pain a lot and I wonder if this is it.
    He is going to the doctor next week.
  • ccaym
    Options
    That is interesting about the glut muscles. I work as a librarian four days a week and I sit A LOT, so it makes sense. The other three days a week I am home with four boys and I almost never sit ; ) Thanks for the insight.
  • ccaym
    Options
    The symptoms of trochanteric bursistis are pretty specific. Once read about it I knew that was what was happening with me. Maybe you can find some info online to share with your fiance. Try Mayo Clinic or Medline Plus..both websites have credible information. Of course, seeing a doctor is his best bet. Good luck!
  • aaronT0331
    Options
    Have you considered using a hip brace? I had a similar problem after I started walking 4 days a week on our nature trail. I found a relatively cheap hip brace at http://www.braceability.com/hip-braces-hip-supports-hip-support-belts. Let me know how it works out for you! -- Aaron
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have it in my Right Hip I just stretch stretch and stretch some more not a whole lot the medical community can do about it anyways and take ibuprofin as needed. Some weeks its great and does not even bother me some weeks it does. I just do my best