Men vs. Women body image...

Options
13»

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Men have the same issues as females do, and vice versa. Biologically, we can't complain about a week out of the month to be prone to mood swings and the like, stretch marks due to children, or menopause. Outside of that realm, psychological effects aren't gender specific. If we get the looks, stares, comments, laughs at our expense, it still affects us.

That said, everybody is subject to judgment at anytime of the day, at any size, for every gender, race, religion, sexual preference, etc. No one is safe from judgment. Those who are recognized as having "perfect" bodies, get scrutinized under a magnifying glass to stay that way. Should there be a slight flaw, there's a sudden backlash effect that comes from being too relaxed. Should those who have less than perfect bodies begin attaining one, they become the flavor of the week until something happens or they become overshadowed by someone else.

I do me all day. Conceited/self-absorbed/selfish/overconfident/*kitten*/*kitten* as it may be, I couldn't give a fifth of a *kitten* about what other people think because they don't live my life, nor do I live theirs. Everything I do is solely for my own benefit.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think it's an artifact of the past to believe there's different pressure on men and women to maintain a certain body type. I think the difference is in what body type the pressure is out there to maintain, that part I believe is true, but I don't think it's true anymore that men are "allowed" to get away with the Archie Bunker body type and still be considered attractive.

I do; however, think this is a more recent development and that women have had to maintain a thin and toned body type far longer than has been expected of from men, but at least since the 80's the expectation from a male to maintain a cut, low fat body type has been the reality.

Read up on what Judy Garland and Marilyn Monroe did to maintain/lose weight. It's not a recent development. And while men are catching up on the anorexia front, women still dominate. Personally, I think the way to combat this is to raise us all up, not keep the obsession up so that both men and women equally feel they have to reach an unrealistic standard.

Furthermore, maybe not Archie Bunker, but I'm pretty sure a ton of women consider Seth Rogen attractive. I can't think of a female equivalent in Hollywood.
  • 1FitMom326
    1FitMom326 Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm still holding my ground.
    We have it just as hard.

J-lo was voted hottest woman in the world. Her body wouldn't be that hard to attain.
    c3965__jennifer-lopez4588.jpg

Ryan Reynolds was voted sexiest man alive a while back. Good luck achieving this:
    Ryan_Reynolds_392.jpg

OK, I definitely agree with that point there. Not to say that J Lo does not workout but there are many women who can lose weight and look amazing without spending hours in the gym. A man will not get abs like that without a lot of hard work. But in my opinion that's what makes it even sexier is the dedication that goes along with it!!!

Not to mention we have to work twice as hard because we can't cover up our imperfections with make-up.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    ^^exactly
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    Jennifer-Lopez.jpg

That's not hard to achieve?

In my honest opinion no. Her natural beauty isn't gonna come easy. But being that thin shouldn't be that difficult. I do forget that ya'll have to eat less to lose weight than we do. But I'm saying It's not like she's spent hours in the gym lifting to get where she is.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Jennifer-Lopez.jpg

In my honest opinion no. Her natural beauty isn't gonna come easy. But being that thin shouldn't be that difficult. I do forget that ya'll have to eat less to lose weight than we do. But I'm saying It's not like she's spent hours in the gym lifting to get where she is.

I'd rather spend hours in the gym than be constantly hungry all day...which is what most women need to do to look like that. Even me, small-boned and petite, settle at several sizes bigger than her unless I really really restrict.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options

I'd rather spend hours in the gym than be constantly hungry all day...which is what most women need to do to look like that. Even me, small-boned and petite, settle at several sizes bigger than her unless I really really restrict.

I agree with your first sentence.
    The thing is to get that goal physique for guys, like ryan reynolds. You have to spend the countless hours in the gym and then once you get to size, continue putting more time in at the gym WHILE being hungry all day and trying to cut your bodyfat low enough to make your abs show.
    Thats years of dedication.
    I hope to get remotely close to that one day, but it's probably another 3 years of constant training and perfect nutrition before I'll be anywhere near it.
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Jennifer-Lopez.jpg

I agree! Instead of ppl sitting on here complaining about their weight they should do something about it. JLO wasn't born with that body,....she made it..most ppl want a sexy body but don't want to work hard for it, instead they blame their weight gain on everything else but themselves! If you packed it on, then trim it off!! I know a female that has 4 kids...and you would never know it, because she worked her *kitten* off to get the body she wanted! HARD WORK PAYS OFF!!! If you don't like your body THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT....TALK IS CHEAP!!!!
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    bowing out of this arguement, gonna go put some time in on the field. running and working towards my goals instead of arguing online :)
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I was a fat girl at once but was never judge. I was alway told my personal was great and I had a great smile. It's the person personality. I also never gave a **** what other people thought all that matter was how I felt inside.:tongue:
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Jennifer-Lopez.jpg

All I know, is that's HOT!!
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Men have the same issues as females do, and vice versa. Biologically, we can't complain about a week out of the month to be prone to mood swings and the like, stretch marks due to children, or menopause. Outside of that realm, psychological effects aren't gender specific. If we get the looks, stares, comments, laughs at our expense, it still affects us.

That said, everybody is subject to judgment at anytime of the day, at any size, for every gender, race, religion, sexual preference, etc. No one is safe from judgment. Those who are recognized as having "perfect" bodies, get scrutinized under a magnifying glass to stay that way. Should there be a slight flaw, there's a sudden backlash effect that comes from being too relaxed. Should those who have less than perfect bodies begin attaining one, they become the flavor of the week until something happens or they become overshadowed by someone else.

I do me all day. Conceited/self-absorbed/selfish/overconfident/*kitten*/*kitten* as it may be, I couldn't give a fifth of a *kitten* about what other people think because they don't live my life, nor do I live theirs. Everything I do is solely for my own benefit.
    +
    seriously best comment yet. why is everyone so worried about everyone elses progress?? this is the one area i'm completely seflish in. i love me and i don't give a **** what anyone else thinks. why is that so hard???-
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    All I know is this:

Women put the pressure on themselves more than than men do. Women are always trying to look better than the next gal while guys are not as preoccupied by that sort of competition. Men compete with each other by being bigger and stronger, which doesn't always mean they are in good shape. You might be a big strong dude and not many people will comment on your weight just becaue you're a big strong dude. Heck, even a lot of women like the big teddy bear types.

Actually, I think it's probably worse for a guy to be short and skinny than to be big and overweight (to a point anyway). Most women don't want to date guys whose *kitten* they think they can kick.

I think for guys, the reaction of women to how you look is a lot bigger deal than what other guys say. First off, not many guys (outside of HS) would make fat jokes about a guy that's bigger than them. Second, if you're still getting the ladies you probably are not going to be overly concerned with how you look. I find women are nearly the opposite. Women will talk trash to each other about weight and while what men think is important to them it does not stop them from freaking over their weight even if plenty of guys think they are attractive.

Sure, there is a point where a guy can get so overweight that women won't even talk to them but I think most overweight guys with a decent personality can get dates. I managed to do plenty of dating before I found my wife and at the time I was well over 80 pounds over my goal weight.
  • ashahl
    ashahl Posts: 81
    Options
    Bahahaha not thinking it's hard for a FEMALE to get abs like JLo's is just ignorant. It takes just as hard work for a woman to look good as men do. This is ridicuolus. Both genders have their chalanges.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I couldn't disagree more with the original post.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I still say women are harder on other women.
  • 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Fat is fat Male or female at least to me I make fun of fat guys all the time at work I nicknamed a fat guy FAT BOY. But I wouldn't do that to a woman. It would be very disrespectful to do that