Stress eating - ways to stop!?

Options
I'm a newbie here, so those of you who don't know me, I'm Shannon and I've had an issue with my weight for the past couple years. At the moment I weigh 150 pounds, but at my worst I got up to about 170 pounds, and i'm only 5'4!

My main issue is stress eating. At the moment, I'm under alot of stress, I'm moving to New Zealand in September so money is a big worry just now, apart from that i've been so stressed about losing weight that ironically, it has pushed me into a massive binge today. I'm really gutted because i felt like i'd been doing so well the past couple of weeks and i was just starting to feel a bit healthier and i'd lost a few pounds. But all in one day I've managed to eat 2800 calories - i'm supposed to be eating 1200 a day!

If anyone has any advice about stress bingeing, please help me out, I'm really struggling to keep it under control!

Replies

• cdez80421
    cdez80421 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I stress binge as well, I wish I had some sound advice for you but unfortunately it is a hit and miss kind of thing. Some days I do ok and others I feel like I need to pad lock the fridge.

I try to keep all flavors of gum on hand, try to always carry my snacks with me, If I feel very out of control, I do my best to stay busy and stay OUT of the kitchen, clean house, do an extra long exercise dvd or go for a real long run.

Good luck, I know your frustration with this:(:yawn:
  • andreabjarnson
    Options
    that happened to me yesterday. i was soooo stressed about work that i ate way too much. i think when i'm in that mood nothing matters, i just want the comfort food that i ate before i started trying to eat right. i just try again the next day. you just got to keep at it and don't let one bad day bring you down. i wish i knew the answer for this but i don't. :explode: <--that's how i felt yesterday. :smile: <--and today.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i binge too :( it's hard to stop and sucks
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i binge too :( it's hard to stop and sucks
  • gublercullen
    Options
    I'm so glad that i'm not the only one that binges whenever i'm stressed out!
  • zoecas2125
    zoecas2125 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I lost my Uncle 2 weeks ago to a Heart Attack. My mind wanted to break down and just binge on pizza and cheeseburgers. I'm an emotional eater. Luckily, I mainted my weight for 2 weeks and still managed to work out.

I recently took Yoga and that helps me a lot. I also forced myself to go to the gym or for long nature walks. Once I was at the gym, I felt so much better. IAnd also proud of myself for making it there. I also remind myself that If I don't take care of my body, I can inherit all of my family's bad genetics like Heart Attacks, Diabiets and Obesity. I also talk to myself a lot nicer and surround myself with positive people.

I know all of this is easier said than done. But at the end of the day, your in charge of your body and your future. Just remember how you felt when you were a lot heavier and in that dark place. Do you want to go back? Do you want to avoid warm weather and clothes shopping? Were you tired of the "Fat Girl" jokes? I sure don't want to go backwards. It's a journey.....

5093613.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • aries7
    aries7 Posts: 2
    Options
    There isn't a short/easy answer because if there was, there wouldn't be so many people struggling with this same issue.

For you, eating is how you deal with stress. If you had some other way of dealing with stress you wouldn't be asking and you wouldn't be gaining weight. That's the first part you have to acknowledge. The solution is 100% psychological - it's all mental so you have to convince yourself whatever solution you come up with will relieve your stress and be effective.

(Do this ahead of time)
    You've got to also think about the situations where you are resorting to food for comfort, recognize you are eating to comfort yourself, and then come up with rules for yourself to go into some sort of "damage control" where you won't have the entire chocolate bar but you immediately throw out half as soon as you open it.

Here are some things you can do (in order of preference):

1. Handle the issue that's causing the stress or decide that you won't let the issue stress you out anymore.
    2. Think of alternative ways of effectively dealing with stress that's not food related such as sleeping, talking to a friend, go out shopping, doing something active, etc.
    4. Drink lots of water, coffee, and/or tea.
    5. Come up with rules for yourself for those times you do stress eat ("damage control") (i.e. grabbing a couple servings of chips onto a plate and then putting the bag out of sight instead of sitting down with the bag, etc.)
    6.. If all else fails, binge on ONLY whole foods like vegetables and fruits without the dips.

Finding the right combination of this list, the activities, rules, and foods that work for you is what is so challenging.
  • gublercullen
    Options
    I feel your pain. I lost my Uncle 2 weeks ago to a Heart Attack. My mind wanted to break down and just binge on pizza and cheeseburgers. I'm an emotional eater. Luckily, I mainted my weight for 2 weeks and still managed to work out.

I recently took Yoga and that helps me a lot. I also forced myself to go to the gym or for long nature walks. Once I was at the gym, I felt so much better. IAnd also proud of myself for making it there. I also remind myself that If I don't take care of my body, I can inherit all of my family's bad genetics like Heart Attacks, Diabiets and Obesity. I also talk to myself a lot nicer and surround myself with positive people.

I know all of this is easier said than done. But at the end of the day, your in charge of your body and your future. Just remember how you felt when you were a lot heavier and in that dark place. Do you want to go back? Do you want to avoid warm weather and clothes shopping? Were you tired of the "Fat Girl" jokes? I sure don't want to go backwards. It's a journey.....

I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle, I think it's amazing that you managed to exercise and keep your diet going! You're very right, no one wants to go backwards, thanks for your reply. And really, well done, you should be proud of yourself for being so strong and keeping yourself on the track to a healthy lifestyle!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    1. Handle the issue that's causing the stress or decide that you won't let the issue stress you out anymore.
    That's the biggest thing that makes me eat. I put things off, can't do anything else until I get it done, so I eat in the meantime...