Running - can you give me a sanity check?

Options
Hello all! I'm female, 20 years old and need a sanity check. I'm really sorry this is a rather long(ish) post, I hope you can take the time to offer advice from your own experiences :)

Estimated max heart rate: 200 bpm.

In the last three weeks or so I've been running around my local neighbourhood (probably 3 times a week, 9 sessions). I haven't really run before and I'm really enjoying it. But I'd like to get a sanity check as to whether I'm horrendously unfit or not...

In the first session I part-walked, part-ran just under 1.5 km. (Max heart rate unknown, didn't have an HRM). Completed in about 12 mins.

Half way through, I've ran 1 km total before exhaustion. (Max heart rate about 184 bpm or 92%). Completed in about 9 mins.

These last two sessions (yesterday and today) I ran 1.3 km and about 1.5 km respectively. (Max heart rate about 191 bpm or 95.5%). Completed in about 10 mins.

Between 31st March and 21st April, my fitness level according to my HRM (which calculates this based on resting heart rate) went from LOW to FAIR. No idea about the actual resting heart rate values, it didn't say. VO2 max = 33 units.

So, in your experience - especially when you first started running -

a) Am I incredibly unfit not to be able to run a minimum of 2 km by now?
b) Am I not pushing myself hard enough? I never run for more than a 10 - 11 min stretch.
c) Is my max heart rate (191 bpm), which I rarely sustain for more than 2 mins, far too high for the short distance I've run?
d) If I start running four times a week, how long on average would it take to get fit enough to run 5 km?

Replies

• crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I can't answer your questions. But...if after 3 weeks you can run for 10-11 minutes at a stretch, I'd say you are doing totally awesome!! I'm sure you will get to the level you want to get to with time.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thanks - sorry about the REALLY specific questions... glad to know 10-11 minutes isn't terrible though... I've never been/wanted to become/been on the way towards being 'fit' before and I don't really know what to expect.
  • nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    something like this is definitely baby steps and time! you can't expect a huge change overnight but you should be super excited that you have actual measurable progress! that alone speaks volumes for you determination thus far. congrats!
  • shawn526
    shawn526 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, I did set run/walk intervals, and I still do on longer runs to this day. I'll run 10 mins, walk 1 min, then start running again. It helps me go farther without feeling like I'm going to die ;)

Good luck, and have fun!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady is the best way to start running. Over time you'll be able increase your distance and eventually your speed. Make sure you are at a "conversational pace" - you should be able to talk to someone without huffing and puffing so much they can't understand you.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know on which advice you have chosen to train at over 95% of your max heart rate? Maybe you have taken expert advice?

I am only an amateur but that sounds extremely high to me.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Most people have to do intervals, even light people like me. It takes time to build up that endurance!
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing awesome. Run/walk intervals are the way to do it. I started this way too and I'm only running maybe 8-10 mins and then walking for 2...I just started the C25K program too to help me along. I use to be a runner and I remember that it takes awhile for you to get there. Be persistant and you'll make it. I like keeping a log and it will show how much progress I'm doing (which it sounds like you are doing) If you thinking you're lacking push yourself to run 10 more seconds or just that much further. You're doing great~!
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady is the best way to start running. Over time you'll be able increase your distance and eventually your speed. Make sure you are at a "conversational pace" - you should be able to talk to someone without huffing and puffing so much they can't understand you.

I agree!
  • corinnak
    corinnak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing really well! There is no timeline for how long it should take someone to become more fit. There are no speed requirements while you're learning to run. It sounds to me like you may be pushing TOO hard in some ways. I get concerned about your heart rate being so high at the end of the run - there is nothing wrong with pushing yourself a little, but you don't have to push it to the max all the time. You mention running to the point of total exhaustion, which I believe is not the most enjoyable way to start a running career and could lead to injury and dissatisfaction.

When I started running, I had two speeds - walking and running slowly. After a while, I had three speeds - walking, running slowly and running a little less slowly. It takes time.

I started with the Couch to 5K plan, which goes from running 1 minute to running 3.1 miles in 9 weeks, I believe. It sounds like you are already on your way, so I'd guess that if you jumped into a plan like that one at week 3 or 4, you could probably work up to a 5K in 4-6 weeks. If you follow a plan like this, run for time OR distance, not both - a 10 minute mile is not realistic for most beginners.

Remember that whatever you do, you're only competing with your old pre-running self!
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If u want to train to hr then u need to find out ur true max google max hr test - it will hurt

Once u know your max not some estimate u can work with that, I would aim to keep your runs at about 70% max and walk when it gets too high

That's it in short but I recumbent a book called hrm training for the compleat idiot
  • music_lover_103
    Options
    i know that a lot of people say that you should run intervals - and you should if you just want to burn more calories by being able to go farther! however, if you wanna be a real runner someday, dont go to all intervals! build up that perseverance (slowly and steadily, of course) so that you can eventually run long distances without walking!

im not sure about all of the target heart rate q's, ive never paid any attention to that, i say just run! : )

you are doing great, keep up the good work!
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I think it sounds like you are doing fine as far as the distance aand time you are completing at this stage however, I am very concerned about your HR. Exercising at 95% is considered extreme and should only be done (if at all) by someone is at tip-top shape. If you are going over 85% then you need to slow down .. cut back.. etc until your heart rate decreases. If it just jumping up to that high level relatively quickly then you may be wise to consult with a MD. Rhonda
  • helenium
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far. I'm glad to know that a 10 min burst is not terrible. I will try interval training in the hope that will increase my endurance. I will also check out the C25K plan - never considered jumping in at week 3 or 4. Don't know why that thought didn't occur to me!

I always THINK I'm running to exhaustion, but later on I think I could have kept going a bit longer. I didn't follow any expert advice and the 95% heart rate just happened yesterday (wasn't checking but saw it afterwards).

The idea of being able to run a 5K in 4 - 6 weeks sounds really good. I was thinking on the time scale of months, so that's a relief.

I'll go check out the C25K now. It will probably give me a much better plan to follow and I will make more progress that way.
  • helenium
    Options
    Hi.. I think it sounds like you are doing fine as far as the distance aand time you are completing at this stage however, I am very concerned about your HR. Exercising at 95% is considered extreme and should only be done (if at all) by someone is at tip-top shape. If you are going over 85% then you need to slow down .. cut back.. etc until your heart rate decreases. If it just jumping up to that high level relatively quickly then you may be wise to consult with a MD. Rhonda

Thanks for the info. I'll cut back to make sure I don't go above 170 - 180 from now on. I didn't realise it could be dangerous to get that heart rate. Usually by that point I am breathing in/breathing out every two running steps to get enough oxygen.
  • katemarjoram
    Options
    Try dropping your speed by 10-20% but increasing the duration by 20-30%, this way you will keep your heart rate at a slightly lower level, will build endurance and increase the overall number of calories you are burning.
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    Some good running advice here. It sounds like I'm about where you are now. I started running a couple weeks ago and I can go about 10-11 min. or about a mile right now, but yes I feel like I could die in the end;). I'll have to look into the c25k too. I have no idea what my heart rate is as I do not have a HRM yet...but I know my heart was pounding out of my chest when I got up that last hill.
  • helenium
    Options
    OK thanks all for the tips! I downloaded an app today for Couch to 5k and ran the Week 4 Day 1 program. 32 mins, 16 of which are running. Got through it fine. Looking forward to the next run! So much better than running to exhaustion - thanks!