Jogging

Options
Ok, I have never liked running long distances...I still remember the dreaded mile in PE at school and how sick I would feel afterwards. (I was even skinny back then!) Any ways, I love exercising like the 30 day shred, Biggest loser, and P90X videos stuff like that. But I really want to take up jogging. I know I need to start out short distances at first, and then try to go farther each time. I think my problem is with my breathing. My body feels like it can go farther, but I can't breath! Any advice??? I am going to be in a 5K in a few weeks and would like to jog what I can.

Replies

• Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I too feel the same way about running. But i just started this Couch to 5k program. And although i am on Day 1 of it, it actually isn't that bad. I actually enjoyed it. The only thing is that it is a 9week program and it's ver easy to follow. I downloaded the app on my iTouch and I love it. You should check it out.

As far as the breathing, i don't know since i just started training to run. But good luck and I'm sure you'll do fine.

P.S. I am also training for a 5k in July and i hope this app helps me too.
    :happy:
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I HATE Couch to 5K ... and you can see from below that I have had some success with running. Here is what I recommend to people... "common sense running"

Start out walking 2-3 miles comfortably. Add 30 secs running with 4 minutes of walking - then 3 minutes - then 2 minutes - then increase the running durations :)
  • skinney1357
    Options
    I also just started jogging in an effort to prepare for a 5k. I also am not a fan of running. I find that the more I do it the easier it gets. I chew gum while I run and that seems to help with my breathing and endurance but don't choke! I also tend to sound like a woman in labor when I breathe. I think you will figure out your own rhythm and what is best for you. Just get up and go! I always do a warm up and cool down and make sure you stretch a lot because my legs were super sore the first few days. Good luck with your 5k mine is may 7th how about yours?
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    I have asthma and what has helped me is taking deep relaxed controlled breaths before and during and after. When I feel like I am starting to tighten up, I slow my jog down and concentrate more on controlling my breath. I also practice breathing when I am just sitting around. In through the nose, out through the mouth. I think you can Google more about breathing exercises.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    The breathing comes with cardio fitness. I struggled with it a lot to start with, but the more I run, the stronger my lungs become. I find running the hardest sport, breath-wise.
    How fast are you going? You need to start off a lot slower than feel right.
  • karensuz
    karensuz Posts: 6
    Options
    I just started running last year and while it seems like it should be easy enough, it is tough! And even after a year, I still struggle with the breathing. I have asthma, which doesn't help, but on a good day, I can now run 45+ minutes without stopping (only 8-10 when I first started). I know it sounds cliche, but you just have to start with small goals. The display on my treadmill is shot so I just used the length of songs on my iPod -- how many songs could I complete before I had to slow down and walk. Good luck!!
  • 1FitMom326
    1FitMom326 Posts: 228
    Options
    I also just started jogging in an effort to prepare for a 5k. I also am not a fan of running. I find that the more I do it the easier it gets. I chew gum while I run and that seems to help with my breathing and endurance but don't choke! I also tend to sound like a woman in labor when I breathe. I think you will figure out your own rhythm and what is best for you. Just get up and go! I always do a warm up and cool down and make sure you stretch a lot because my legs were super sore the first few days. Good luck with your 5k mine is may 7th how about yours?

The gum is a lifesaver. I have never been a runner and have been training 8 weeks for a 10k the gum truly does help keep your breathing steady. Start slow so you do not get discouraged.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh this is soooo funny cause I was gonna come on here and post about running/breathing!! I tried the couch to 5K, but I found it annoyingly slow...so I just took that and kinda put my own spin on it. I am now doing run 3 min walk 1-1/2 to 2 and keep that up for like 40 minutes. So, for the original poster, try doing small intervals like that....and then slowly increase your speed and your running times.

HOWEVER, my biggest problem is the breathing!! I think I am focusing TOO much on it...does that make sense?? I feel like I start out okay then I start to shallow breathe and don't feel like I can adequately take a deep breath.

Any advice??
  • giggles007
    giggles007 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Your breathing will get better the more workout you do when running or jogging. It does take time, but when you do find short of breath slow down and to catch your breath back. In time your breathing techniques will get better.

When I started off I would be so out of breath that it was embarrassing. By building up the pace gradually it became better. When I feel short of breath then I would slow down.

My advise don't rush, don't have high expectations. Make most of each session and up your pace once you are comfortable to do so. As you progress your breathing will become more controlled. :happy:

Good luck with your race.
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Aaah the age old breathing question! It took me AGES to get this sorted - but you will find the right pace and breathing for you. I have found it and once I am in the zone it works for me. I do make quite a lot of noise though!!
    There is no right and wrong way to breathe - you'll find it.
    Best of luck!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I love running, so I highly encourage you to stick with it. The stamina will come! Just listen to your body: run when you can, if you start to get short of breathe, slow your pace. Take walk breaks if you need to - and then run some more.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am taking a beginning running class. Started off with intervals of run/jog and walk, We started with 3min run and 2 min walk, We are running 3x a week and then I cross train. As far as pace, you should go at a pace where you can caryy on a conversation. For breathing, try to match it to your pace

Here are two articles on breathing that they shared.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-380-381-386-245-0,00.html
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-238-267--12989-0,00.html
  • Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    Options
    I am actually terrified of running because I look so strange doing it, but a coworker who loves running told me today that it is so different from walking because, on a good run, you actually spend more time in the air than on the ground. He said that running is more buoyant and euphoric than walking. So that made it sound really interesting. But I have to be honest, I have no idea how to run. I can speed walk like no-body's business, but picking myself up to run just...I don't know, it's tough. Do you runners have any tips on that aspect?
  • tjstivers1
    Options
    One thing that helped me was making a constant effort to lengthen my stride. Developing a good breathing pattern is important too. For me, a 4:3 ratio or a 3:2 usually works best. This means that I inhale for 4 steps, and exhale for 3. It helps keep some oxygen in your blood. Make sure to breathe deeply, it should feel a little bit like a yawn. To get used to it, just try to push your stomach out on the inhale, and bring it back to normal on the exhale.

Keep going strong!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started Couch to 5k in late December and finished in late February. Go slow, take frequent walk breaks, and the breathing will follow.

I huffed and puffed like the Big Bad Wolf when I first started. My lung function is soooooooooo much better now! I've stopped snoring, and I can inflate a balloon like it's nothing. Can't wait to blow out candles on my birthday cake this year. :wink:

I'm working my way up to 10k now. I've done a few 5k races, have another on Wednesday, and I'm doing a 5 mile race next Saturday. And I never, ever was a runner before. :smile:
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    With regards to breathing - I know that my run is going well when I dont think about it. I also have asthma and found that just about no matter what I do I will wheeze and huff and puff for the first mile or so. Running into the brisk wind makes it harder.

I try to take a huge deep breath and blow it all out fast and slow through pursed lips when I am struggling. I notice that my breathing naturally falls into a 2 in and 2 out pattern.

If you are struggling to breathe you are going TOO fast! :)
  • spatticus
    spatticus Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have had success with couch to 5k or couch to 10 k, including me!
  • krea4
    krea4 Posts: 1,814 Member
    Options
    I am currently following the programme below. Can't remember where I got it from but I am on week 2 and haven't given up yet! I listen to some pumping music as I run (across fields- better for the knees!) and time laps on my phone. This helps to keep my mind off my legs, lungs and stitch!!

My 8 year old came with me last time and told me that my bum wobbled but not as much as my boobs!!

Good luck with the training

Week 1 Run one min, walk 90 seconds. Repeat eight times. Do three times a week.
    Week 2 Run two mins, walk one min. Repeat seven times. Do three times a week.
    Week 3 Run three mins walk one mins. Repeat six times. Do three times a week.
    Week 4 Run five mins, walk two mins. Repeat four times. Do three times a week.
    Week 5 Run eight mins, walk two mins. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
    Week 6 Run 12 mins, walk one min. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
    Week 7 Run 15 mins, walk one min, Run fifteen mins. Do three times a week
    Week 8 Run 30 mins continuously.
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Breathing was initially a problem for me when I first started working on fitness. I would walk .5 mile to warm up and then do strength training. I couldn't get myself to take full breaths, even when going slow. I also found my feet and ankles hurting after short distances. Then I discovered the elliptical machine! The breathing got better with practice. The ankle and calf pain didn't go away until I found the elliptical machine. I recommend the elliptical to any of my larger brothers and sisters out there. Often the impact on the calves and ankles will discourage us from doing cardio, but once I got used to the elliptical I can do it for almost an hour. I'm now to the point I'm averaging 14.5 minute miles (down from 20 minutes when I first started 4.5 months ago). I have recently taken up jogging the parking deck at work. It is 1.4 miles to go all the way down and back up. I find the decline on the way down is the hardest on my joints. I walk the decline part, then jog the flat part on the way down and jog the flat part and walk the incline on the way up. I'm hoping to get to jogging the whole thing within a few weeks, but there's no rush, I'm only competing with myself. Good luck!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I had never ran in my life before a year ago, I was turning 40 and decided that on my bucket list, I wanted to run a marathon. So in March of 2010 I started running. I knew nothing, ran alone, and read every book and magazine I could to learn something. I did run my marathon at 40 and have continued to run. Cross training has made a world of difference in my speed, endurance and injury treatment. I just started off slow, ran what I could, a little at a time. I went the same route over and over so I could track what I'd done. When I could do the whole thing running - 5 miles, I changed and added new routes and distances. Somedays, things still hurt, but what i"m saying is you don't need a plan, do what you can, when you can and do a little every day. I love running and can't imagine I didn't find it sooner.