Runners

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
So I did 10k this morning and it felt great, despite my weeks off. I feel stronger than I did before my injury. Would it be pushing my luck to do the same again tomorrow? I know most training programs recommend a days break between runs, but I really feel like I want to make the most of my fitness! I am too obsessive, I know.

Replies

• baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Go for it, but listen to your body. If you have any unusual aches or pains, stop and walk home. Or call for a ride. You don't want to risk re-injuring yourself.

Great run, btw!
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    Probably :wink:
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You should definately rest tomorrow - firstly because you have just returned to running and secondly because you should do that anyways!!
    Great work on your run though!
  • shawn526
    shawn526 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I frequently do two days in a row. I say go for it, but listen to your body. Maybe not go as far or as fast as you did the first day.

Happy running! :)
  • sbrmom
    sbrmom Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would do an easy run of around 4 miles, or if you have a bike, go for a ride instead!
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If you feel up to it...I'll say go for it, but take it slower and if you feel any aches then walk the rest of the way...well done on the 10k especially after an illness, good on you!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It wasn't a major injury, just a tendon strain in my ankle, so I've been doing very low intensity 6k runs once a week, rather than my usual 10k 2 to 3 times a week. I have been doing boot camp and aerobics to keep my fitness up, so I knew I wouldn't be hugely out of shape.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body and be ready to shut it down if it hurts.

I run 6-7 days a week, every week. I just takes time for your body to get used it - you have to build up slowly to prevent injury.
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If u have never run on consecutive days before then now is prob not the best time

If u really have to then 2 miles slow
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I usually give it a day off after a strenuous run, but this week I ran a quick run Tues and a fairly slow one Wed. The slow one worked out the stiffness from Tues. Wed I cross trained though. Wouldn't run 3 days straight
  • warrenpeace23
    Options
    I always do an easy run the day after a bigger run. Cross training is better than pushing too hard and getting injured. Hills or track sprints are fun when you are getting bored to change it up a bit...and they will help your speed on your next flat run.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you had a recent injury and raced today then yes, doing the same tomorrow would be asking for trouble. Once you build back up certainly many people can run back to back days at that distance but you have not been doing so. Less is better in this situation. If you must get out then do a shorter distance, slower or just walk. Take a day or two rest after a race then get out in a few days and build up slowly or you risk reinjuring yourself.